It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Insists Ties Between Al-Qaeda and Saddam's Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
With the failure to date to produce the massive amounts of weapons of mass destruction expected to be found in Iraq, and the basis for war in that nation being set on false or misleading information. President Bush is again on the defensive. Today Bush remains consistent at least in his belief that there are and were real ties between Al-Qaeda and the former Iraqi regime..

ABCNEWS.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush, on the defensive over the Iraq war, insisted on Thursday that Saddam Hussein had a dangerous relationship with al Qaeda, a day after the independent Sept. 11 commission reported no evidence of collaboration between the two.

Responding to the latest challenge to his policy in Iraq, Bush asserted that there were "numerous contacts" between Saddam and al Qaeda operatives that justified the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

"The reason I keep insisting that there was a relationship between Iraq and Saddam and al Qaeda is because there was a relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda," the Republican president told reporters after meeting with his Cabinet.

But he denied accusations by critics that his administration encouraged people to believe Saddam had a role in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks which killed 3,000 people and prompted the U.S. war on terrorism.

"This administration never said that the 9/11 attacks were orchestrated between Saddam and al Qaeda," Bush said. "We did say there were numerous contacts between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda."

Intelligence reports of a link between Saddam and the militant group behind the 2001 attacks formed a cornerstone of Bush's rationale for the invasion of Iraq, where more than 830 U.S. soldiers have died after 14 months of violence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is much more in the full report. Click the link at the top of the original source article.

This is interesting, and I can't help but wonder why Bush remains so convinced of ties between Al-Qaeda and the former Iraqi regime despite the 9/11 commission report.

Does he know something we do not?

I hope he can one day prove this. If not it could spell doom for his political life and do even more damage to his republican party.. In My view of course.

[edit on 17-6-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Did the 9/11 commision report that there is no link between Iraq and 9/11 or that there is no link between Iraq and Al-Qaeda?

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenophon
Did the 9/11 commision report that there is no link between Iraq and 9/11 or that there is no link between Iraq and Al-Qaeda?

Maybe this will answer your question... after a very long and in depth investigantion the Sept. 11 commission reported no evidence of collaboration between the two.

Yet the president stll insists there is a connection.

Maybe this is not news to you, but I think it is at least a window into the mind of the man we call President. If he is so convinced then where is his proof and why have we not seen it?

I think anyone could say that there was some kind of connection but where are the facts?

We will just have to see how this story evolves.

Gazz

[edit on 17-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Maybe God revealed it to him in a vision? Showed him Saddam and Osama in their evil plotting?

And I must congratulate him on "The reason I insist there was a relationship between Iraq and Saddam and al-Qaeda was that there was a relationship between Iraq and al-Qaeda".

"The reason I insist the sky is blue is because the sky is blue"

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
On a more sinister note, perhaps the Bush administration can rearrange history and show the ties between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda with Saddam Hussein's co-operation, or co-operation of one of the lookalikes..

Hussein has co-operated with Bush 41 and Rumsfeld before, you know.

Doublespeak, lies, manipulation, revisionism, fear, terror and total corruption are hallmarks of the Bush administration and what a great role model for all Americans to follow.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
On a more sinister note, perhaps the Bush administration can rearrange history and show the ties between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda with Saddam Hussein's co-operation, or co-operation of one of the lookalikes..

I see your point oh great Masked one, However I think the sinister side of this report is the lack of evidence.. and though this seems not to be big news here, in my view it is very strange to say the least. for the President to state that he knows things that have been proven to not exist by an independant commission is at least odd. and to me kind of scarey. But I will reserve judgment until I see our President display his case and show us his proof.

What a day.

Gazz

[edit on 17-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
My implausible suggestion does indeed support your plausible and righteously angry response. For Bush to categorically state that he knows and he KNEW implies a much greater level of awareness of the linkages and machinations that led to such things as, say, 9/11. A position of foreknowledge that would seem to be rather dangerous for the US President, given that the 9/11 Commission finds against this, and the reviews of the intelligence agencies found against this.

It's all just degrees of lying. Eventually a liar just can't keep his story straight, no matter the frenetic activity of his spin merchants and lackeys and criminals for whom part of the livelihood depends on this.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
It's all just degrees of lying. Eventually a liar just can't keep his story straight, no matter the frenetic activity of his spin merchants and lackeys and criminals for whom part of the livelihood depends on this.

Going by your logic,that means there are a great many more liars yet to be exposed.

Take this quote from a US senators speech found on the senators own website,

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11, 2001.

It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security."

Yes I'm with you on this MA - all the liars should be exposed to the american public by our notoriously right wing media who is covering this up as we speak.

Lying, Liar of a Senator Spews Right Wing Iraq Untruths

top topics

join