It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A DISTURBANCE IN JUPITER'S CLOUDS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You can see it with a decent scope. The link has the times and dates for best viewing.
SkyandTelescope.com...

A DISTURBANCE IN JUPITER'S CLOUDS
An unusual disturbance has appeared on Jupiter at the interface of the
South Equatorial Belt (SEB) and the Equatorial Zone (EZ). It's visible as
a very elongated bluish feature, highlighted in the center image above.
The feature's bluish hue is more pronounced when it's near Jupiter's limb
but is quite subtle when crossing the central meridian.

This disturbance was first detected on February 26, 2004, by European
amateurs. On the 29th the new feature was some 40 degrees long (in
longitude) and was transiting Jupiter's central meridian about 2.5 hours
before the Great Red Spot (GRS)....

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
ewww...hope this aint a foreshadowing of something bad fixing to happen on that beast.

And then I think...crap, did we cause this? or, did Schumaker-Levy cause this?

hmmm...this really could be an after-effect of the comet impact.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What are the chances of Jupiter ever becoming a sun it's self? What would have to happen to spark this?
What would be the effects on the earth of this happend, be it possible?
I read this and it's what got me thinking.

The atmosphere is very deep, perhaps comprising the whole planet, and is somewhat like the Sun. It is composed mainly of hydrogen and helium, with small amounts of methane, ammonia, water vapor and other compounds. At great depths within Jupiter, the pressure is so great that the hydrogen atoms are broken up and the electrons are freed so that the resulting atoms consist of bare protons. This produces a state in which the hydrogen becomes metallic.
www.planetscapes.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Didn't NASA crash a probe/explorer module into Jupiter last year? I remember reading about it on ATS, something about how the illuminati were trying to fulfill a prophecy or something like that.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Found this:

In his 1991 tome Behold a Pale Horse, William Cooper warned that the US government was turning Jupiter into a second sun. Cooper predicted that Galileo, the NASA spacecraft orbiting Jupiter, would create an atomic chain reaction in the giant planet, effectively turning it into a small star. How? In December 1999, Cooper wrote, Galileo was to deliver a 49.7-pound load of plutonium used to power the craft into the heart of Jupiter. The end result would have been a huge atomic reaction, and a newborn star that Cooper has dubbed Lucifer.
www.disinfo.com...

Nostradamus' prophecy Quatrain II Century 41:

La grand, estoille par sept iours bruslera.
Nu� fera deux Soleils apparoir,
Le gros mastin toute nuict hurlera,
Quand grand pontife changera de terroir.

The great star will burn for seven days,
The cloud will cause two suns to appear:
The big mastiff will howl all night
When the great pontiff will change country.

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by baked]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Here are more answers:

But why would the government do this? First, to stave off the coming ice age, and more importantly, to fulfill a Masonic ritual that is the final requirement for founding an Illuminastic New World Order. Apparently, many Illuminati high priests will be at the Great Pyramid of Cheops in Giza to witness this crowning event

www.gettingit.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It could be a dust storm. Jupiter does have the great red spot.

The Great Red Spot (GRS) is a persistent storm in Jupiter's atmosphere having lasted, at least, 400 years. Although having been seen from the very early days of the telescope, it was not well studied until 1878. Between the years 1879 and 1882 it dominated the Jovian disc. This was due to it being very conspicuous, its red colour and being dark and large.

This could be another one. I dunno...

Great Red Spot

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Boy, we're all going to have to learn how to sleep with the lights on if Jupiter goes solar..

we'll be gettin' it from all sides!

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I believe that it's most likely after effects of the Schumaker-Levy comet. I think it takes more than a day or two to get over the hangover of a comet impact.

However, it is definately worth keeping an eye on this for further developments.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Boy, we're all going to have to learn how to sleep with the lights on if Jupiter goes solar..

we'll be gettin' it from all sides!

Yeah, everytime I hear strange stories about Jupitor I think about 2010. Sure, the guy who invented night caps is going to be richer than his wildest dreams if Jupiter goes solar.

I think about Europa, and how in 2010 when Jupiter becomes a Sun the Europa ice melts and it becomes a new Earth. It's a very nice daydream.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by baked
What are the chances of Jupiter ever becoming a sun it's self? What would have to happen to spark this?
What would be the effects on the earth of this happend, be it possible?
I read this and it's what got me thinking.

impossible. not enough mass or gasses.

Originally posted by insite
Didn't NASA crash a probe/explorer module into Jupiter last year? I remember reading about it on ATS, something about how the illuminati were trying to fulfill a prophecy or something like that.

correct, the gallieo probe. we no longer had use for it, it had well overlived what it was expected to do, and it's nuclear reactor was at ends. i dunno about any illuminati scheme though, but i would highly doubt that.

FOR EVERYONE'S INFO:
jupiter is a gas giant, which you all know. it's day is roughly 10 hours. at that speeds the centrifigal forces cause the gases to swirl around and relayer. if you sat and watched jupiter for ten hours, say from red spot in the middle to the same position again, everything would look drastically changed. even watching jupiter for a few hours you would see changes. it's a brutal, incredibly windy planet.

and because i'm bored and feel like being a nerd:
Jupiter...
distance from the sun: 5.2 AU (48,000,000 miles)
diameter: 88,850 miles
mass: 1.9 x 10^27 kg
day: 9 hours, 55 minutes
year: 4,332 days on earth (almost 12 earth years)
average surface temperature: -250 F (i say surface because it's been theoriezed that do to extreme pressures inside the temperature soars into the thousands.)

Sun...
diameter: 864,000 miles (a dwarf star)
mass: 2 x 10^30 Kg
surface temperature: 5,800 K
core temperature: 16,000,000 K
class: G2 V (more any of you who know how to read an HR diagram, of course, then you would probably know what that means.
)

EDIT: just realized today that i didn't put in the end quote text up there... so i fixed that.

[Edited on 3/9/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
It could be a dust storm. Jupiter does have the great red spot.

yeah, and on the other gas giants there have been other spots and disturbances like this that have only lasted for a short time.

Originally posted by John Nada
I believe that it's most likely after effects of the Schumaker-Levy comet. I think it takes more than a day or two to get over the hangover of a comet impact.

well it did leave several earth-sized black spots on jupiter, but those are long gone. though you may be right, no one knows what's going on down there really.

Yeah, everytime I hear strange stories about Jupitor I think about 2010. Sure, the guy who invented night caps is going to be richer than his wildest dreams if Jupiter goes solar.
I think about Europa, and how in 2010 when Jupiter becomes a Sun the Europa ice melts and it becomes a new Earth. It's a very nice daydream.

i think that europe would be far too close, and that any atmosphere would get blown off. of course, jupiter can't become a star though.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
i have small footage (2+meg goes for 5 seconds) of the shumaker levi impact, does anyone know where i can find better pics/videos of the crash??

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Here is a link to alot of vid clips from nasa:
image.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This was posted here once before, but there was and probably stillis a lot of speculation as to what Galileo was going to do when it was crashed into Jupiter . People even went as far in figuring the atomosphere pressure of Jupiter, and how the nuclear material onboard Galileo would react to this

here are a ton of links, so you can pick one.

www.google.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Shumaker-Levy had FAR more energy than Galileo's little Plutonium package! Anyway, as was said, not enough mass to form a star.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
how about could it be set on fire

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
even with the new ATSNN thread on the topic, still do not believe this is anything wrong. strange things happen in space all the time.

this is somewhat similar to the great dark spot on neptune that was discovered in 1989 (maybe 1988, i'm not sure) by voyager two... this same storm was then gone in later hubble photoes.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The book 2010. Jupiter did become a star, so that the moon Europa would thaw out. Jupiter became known as 'Lucifer'.

Prophetic? Science-fiction writers have seemed to, not necessarily predict events, have a good grasp of what the future may contain.

Then there is Richard Hoagland, most famous for his book Monuments of Mars; City on the Edge of Forever. In it, it has been stated that alot of the outer planets have an anomoly within their 'arctic circle', ranging from unusual cloud formations to wind patterns, as if they were great batteries/ generators of sorts.

It is a known fact that Jupiter radiates more energy than it takes in...

Perhaps, just perhaps, Jupiter is becoming a star. Unlikely; you'd think a combustion would literally explode. Anyway, this planet of ours is expected to go through severe changes in the next 10 years. Maybe God, if there be one, is starting afreash.

*EDIT-geez... couldn't believe the typos in here!*

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by soothsayer]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
...and Arthur C. Clarke must have been lamenting that ever since. Jupiter is far too small to sustain any reactions to become a second sun. It also can't 'combust' as there is no Oxygen for the Hydrogen to burn with.

Nothing we could throw at jupiter comes anywhere near the amount of energy released all the time by the massive electrical storms that go on in there. Not to mention the Impact of comets and other space debris on a continual basis, nothing we have even comes close.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Kano]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join