It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mariana Trench

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Mariana Trench

The mystery is uncovered.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This is the first time I've ever heard of a sleeping shark. I thought the basking shark was the biggest.

This is to show how little we really know about those oceans. I'm busy reading it now.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Isn't sleeping shark a nickname for reef sharks? Because they can be found sleeping in caves and such around the reefs.

Also, I can find nothing even remotely similar to this article anywhere online.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I can't find another site neither I must admit

But then still it doesn't have to be a fake... I mean, the article is also just 2 months old...

Yes that's a good excuse

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
180 meters!

Well, that'll clear the room, now won't it.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The length of the sea Goliath was over 60 meters.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The only thing i can think of that could be this "sleeper shark" that they are talking about is the Carcharadon Megaladon, except that lived millions of years ago, and no dead body of one has ever been found, the most we've found is teeth. We've found some un-fossilized Teeth that lead some people to believe they are real but that's a discussion worthy of another thread (and actually i think there is another thread about it here somewhere)

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Here is one more mystery. Recently, Japanese researchers have conducted an interesting experiment in the Suruga Bay, not far from the Mariana Trench, the deepest spot in the World Ocean. The researchers put a container with some smelly bait on the bay bottom. A special video camera was attached to the wall of the container. The researchers peered into monitors to see what is to happen with the container and the bait.

The smell of the bait attracted a shoal of deep-water sharks. But then the researchers saw something incredible that left them speechless. Suddenly the sharks scattered in all directions and researchers saw an incredibly huge monster on the screens of their monitors. The giant slowly soared before the video camera at a depth of about 1.5 kilometers. The length of the sea Goliath was over 60 meters. It was not clear what the gant was in fact.

Hey, I've seen that video! Has anyone here seen the National Geographic special about the search for the Giant Squid? It was fascinating, and they show the footage they are talking about in that article. It was really quite incredible to see...all of the sudden this MASSIVE object appears in front of the camera for several seconds. I gotta say, it was pretty darn creepy.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Very interesting article.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
would loved to of seen that one

biggest known fish at the moment is the whale shark, can grow up 60 feet long.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Hey, I've seen that video! Has anyone here seen the National Geographic special about the search for the Giant Squid? It was fascinating, and they show the footage they are talking about in that article. It was really quite incredible to see...all of the sudden this MASSIVE object appears in front of the camera for several seconds. I gotta say, it was pretty darn creepy.

can someone find that vid......i wouldn't know where to start

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemesite

can someone find that vid......i wouldn't know where to start

I'll check and see if I can find it. I'd like to see it again too.
But seeing as how it was done by a professional research team, it was probably copyrighted and not floating around the internet anymore.

I think the best way to see it is to rent the National Geographic special about "Chasing the Giant Squid" from your local video store for a few bucks.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   

my name is danny and one day, at paint river, me and my friend were swimming in the river when i felt something brush up against my foot, then the creature caught one of my legs and wrapped around it! i was so scared that i screamed at the top of my lungs!!!!!!!! i screamed and paniced until the creature let go. i swam ashore and i saw a creature swim away..... it was about 50 feet long and had and 6 to 7 humps. i saw it for a bout 20 seconds until it swam underwater - [email protected]

theshadowlands.net...

I found this page filled with true accounts of sea and lake serpents and other creatures. Some of the stories are amazing and hard to believe, but the people seem genuine.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This page has some information on reported Sea Monsters.

www.angelfire.com...

ID

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Creatures such as giant squids and this sleeping shark are perfect examples of our limited knowledge of the ocean world. For those of you convinced these creatures do not exist I would like to site the coelacanth as an example that anything is possible. One of these sites (not sure which made a really good point. If crocodiles, turtles, and sharks could survive why not the plesiosaur or some of these other thought to be extinct creatures. Also let me say that I have never been a very sea friendly person, knowing that I am not the biggest baddest thing out there kinda makes me jumpy, and reading about the stories from Aztec's link I will have a hard time EVER venturing too far into the depths. Especially the one about the chick who was swimming and saw the 50 foot eel thing feeding.....scary stuff.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
The only thing i can think of that could be this "sleeper shark" that they are talking about is the Carcharadon Megaladon, except that lived millions of years ago, and no dead body of one has ever been found, the most we've found is teeth. We've found some un-fossilized Teeth that lead some people to believe they are real but that's a discussion worthy of another thread (and actually i think there is another thread about it here somewhere)

Steve Altern wrote a book called "Meg", just a ficticious book about a megaladon which turns up in shallow water after an unlikely assent from the deep. Someone also said this on the article's comments section at the bottom. I read it a few years ago when i saw the book just lying around. Was entertaining at the very least.

[Edited on 2-1-2004 by imtheism]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hey everyone!

I'm French and new here and this afternoon I saw the film you're talking about "Search for giant squid" (which gives, in french "les monstres de la mer"
)
and i was speechless when i saw the footage on which we can see the giant sleeping shark!!! ever since i searched the internet but i wasn't able to see even a picture, but i'd rather see the video again!!!
so anybody can help me??
thanks!

[edit on 23-8-2006 by clark19]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well, I couldn't find the Japanese movie of the live giant squid, but I found this other scary movie. (If you have a fear of squids, Suck it up and watch it anyways):

youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Regarding the infamous photos of a live giant squid taken by a Japense scientist, I found footage of one of the tentacles snared from the giant squid in the photos.

While the tentacle may not be considered "alive", it starts squirming and moving at around 45 seconds into the video.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Doublecheck the source!!!!

Guys, the source is Pravda; a tabloid like Weekly World News. They report things like "Gypsy curse turns supreme court liberal" and "Batboy and Laura Bush to wed" and so forth.

For my money, WWW is more entertaining than Pravda. Thrilling Tabloid Trash is great fun to read, but don't give any credibility to it, okay?
www.weeklyworldnews.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join