It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim leader: It's the woman's fault who is raped. She's "uncovered meat"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
According to that nation's most senior Muslim cleric, if a woman is raped it's her fault because she is like "uncovered meat" being eaten by cats.

In the religious address on adultery to about 500 worshippers in Sydney last month, Sheik Hilali said: "If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover, and the cats come and eat it ... whose fault is it, the cats or the uncovered meat?
n

To me, this is just another fine example of the tolerant and benevolent affects of Islam. EVERYONE knows that rape is not about sex, love, or attraction. Just the opposite: It's about hate and power. This is proof of the backwards thinking Islam breeds and supports how women are considered as property to Muslim men. Disgusting

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum
This is proof of the backwards thinking Islam breeds and supports how women are considered as property to Muslim men. Disgusting

I can't help dwelling on the fact that a religious leader just referred to a major evil as a blameless impulse, and in the process placed men on the same moral plane as animals. W-O-W.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I heard this this morning on the national news in Sydney and was very p***ed
off with the Mufti's comment. He should be charged with inciting rape of Western women and we all know what they think of us 'skip' women.

I call on all the women of Australia to rally and protest this comment. Send the sheik back to the old country...HE IS NOT WELCOME HERE.

Pru Goward (an Australian feminist and advocate for women's affairs) has appeared n the news since this went to air this morning and she 'ain't a happy camper boys and girls'.

I am disgusted and I expect there will be many Australian Muslims who would agree that comments like this only serve to setback any progress in genuine attempts to effect understanding of religious and cultural differences. (Islam is more than a religion...it is also has a culture). I have worked with many Muslim men ( I am a 50 year old caucasion 3rd generation Australian) and I have always been treated with respect and have managed to build solid, friendly relationships with them, with many of the women too. I have found the Muslims who work in the cities assimilate better, those who live in the 'burbs and who stay very traditional are more likely to have these backward, sexist inflammatory views.

Methinks the s**t will hit the fan...women of Oz really angry..that is not good.

In Pace
resi

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
*sigh*

This is just so encouraging. And just the thing rape victims DON'T need to hear from anyone.

Deny Ignorance, and this is PURE UNADULTERATED IGNORANCE.

Unacceptable. Absolutely unacceptable and insulting.

sexism. objectification. justification. opression. ignorance. superiority. sense of entitlement.

I see all these things in that statement, and I like none of them.

I am dumbfounded.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
A link if anyone wants to have a read

www.smh.com.au...

In pace
resi

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Breaking news - calling for the sheik to be deported (he is an Oz citizen so where do ya deport him to?) and position of Mufti to be made obsolete/defunct.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ugh.

This has really pissed me off.

Uncovered meat, huh? I guess all women should be veiled like many Muslim women, huh?

But wait! Veils won't prevent rape either. Because rape is NOT about how I look, what I'm wearing, or my wrists, or my neck, or stomach showing.

I'd be interested to hear his justification for the rape of veiled Women, AKA covered meat.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm hearing you and I think all women on this planet should be very P****ED.
We are all potential rape victims...I will go down fighting this and I will not stnad for this in my country.

In Pace
resi

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I think there's only one way to resolve this. Somebody's gonna have to rape the mufti. There aint much I wouldn't give to hear him explain that one. Better yet... before the rapist gets down the business, have him offer the mufti a veil and see if he puts it on in an attempt to defend himself. That'll get to the bottom of what he really believes.

Oh... and as for who has to rape the mufti... 123 not it.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm glad to see at least one responder here is from "Downunder". The good news, as near as I can tell, is that Australia is less prone to cowtowing to Islamic issues and cultural political correctness and will likely take a more measured, yet diligent public response than we here in the US would take. We have alphabet groups here, such as CAIR (council on American-Islamic Relations) that use courts to gradually Islamize our country. They would never criticize this cleric for making these comments. I think it'll be important to watch how various Islamic groups respond to this and I would be VERY interested to know how many actually issue criticizms of this Muslim.

Please report those criticisms/responses here.

[edit on 25-10-2006 by Freedom_for_sum]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Don't ya love the way Muslim minds think? It is always the women who are at fault. :shk:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well I can't speak for Oz men but Oz women are very outspoken and do not put up with men's sexist crap, that just ain't gonna happen. Oz girlies have balls!!

I am watching the mid morning news now in Sydney and they are all over it. Many Muslim leaders from various groups are saying that they apologise for his words and that they are appalled. They had a guest on from the Muslim Womens' Council of Australia ( I think ???) and she is disgusted and has apologised to all women on behalf of the Muslim communityin Australia.

There will be more on this.

In Pace
resi

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
update
au.news.yahoo.com...

In Pace
resi

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
resistancia, please stop using vulgarities on the board.

These are the same sorts of comments we'd hear in the US, especially from the christian religious conservatives. It was idiotic then, and its idiotic now. Its also nuts to say that this guy should be deported. I doubt he's the first guy in australia to blame a rape victim for being raped, since when is that a deportable offense?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I did not say he should be deported...others in Australia are asking for him to be deported. I asked where do you deport an Australian citizen to?

I was unaware that I had been vulgar. I did not spell whole words... I used asterisks as others have done. I used the word balls and crap...I do not think it is vulgar.

I did not mean to offend anyone but I must have.

Looks like I have done my dash... I will not return

In Pace Always
resi

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Lol where's half_minded with his pro-muslim BS?

This is downright deplorable. This guy should be arrested or at worst deported. Pig.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
This is what one man has to say on the issue. It is not a belief shared by all followers of the Islamic faith. The Mufti has since apologised for what he said.

"I unreservedly apologise to any woman who is offended by my comments," he said in a statement.

"I had only intended to protect women's honour, something lost in The Australian presentation of my talk."

Sheik Alhilali has been widely condemned by Muslim and non Muslim groups for the Ramadan sermon he gave in Arabic to 500 worshippers in Sydney.

Islamic Council of Victoria (ICV) committee member Sherene Hassan said she was outraged by the comments.

The Islamic Council of NSW also condemned the sheik's remarks.

The council said the remarks were "un-Islamic, un-Australian and unacceptable".

A spokesman for the council, Mr Ali Roude, said he was "astonished" at Sheik Alhilali's comments, saying he "had failed both himself and the Muslim community".

"While we respect the rights of any Australian citizen to freedom of speech, there is a further responsibility upon our civic leaders, be they religious, political or bureaucratic, to offer appropriate guidance to the people under their care," Mr Roude said.

Link to Article

He has been roundly criticised by other Muslims who do not share his views.

Pru Goward is the Politician who has been calling for the deportation of an Australian citizen. Goward is a right-wing reactionary who fires off her mouth without thinking.

I think forcing the Mufti to resign is about all that can be done. I expect he will "resign" within a week.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
These comments were extracted by an undercover journalist who "secretly" taped the sermon and who had it "translated" and was shocked to find what was being preached
in Mosques.
Who is to know what exactly is being preached in these Mosques in Arabic?
If this is only a small example then it I think it wont be long that it will be law that all
sermons will have to done in English.
Probably not a bad idea as Catholic priests no longer speak in Latin as commonly as they used to either.
I wonder why the 500 odd people at the sermon didnt find this disgusting and distressing and were not "appalled" enough to complain to the media themselves?

Why is it that muslims who surely must go to these mosques and hear this kind of stuff are only apologetic when "caught" or "found out"?
i'm not surprised at all about what this man was preaching. I've known for ages what
Muslims really think of western women.
Shame on them for coming to the country that took them in and had a heart and letting their muftis teach such hate and intolerance.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I stated I would not return due to being reprimanded for vulgarity but felt the need to say a bit more. I will refrain from using 'vulgarities' but can not promise that I will remain politically correct.

Beelzebubba, are you an Aussie? Well if you are'nt maybe you need to aware of a few things.

The Sheik ( or Mufti) needs to be able to communicate his message a bit clearer so as not to be misunderstand by us poor uneducated colonials here in Oz. So I do not believe it was another case of words being taken out of context or whatever. This is a common catch cry when people are caught out after making inflammatory comments. This man has a big influential mouth and condones rape and violence towards women.

This sexist, racist, religious bigot has made similar comments about females in the past and during a landmark gang rape case in Sydney a few years ago, supported the actions of the animals (not 1 or 2 but several Muslim youths - we are talking gang rape here) who grabbed two young Aussie girls (both minors at the time) off a street in a suburb of Sydney and subjected them to several hours of sexual assault and ridicule (Bilal Skaff et al).

I am disgusted and justfiably so and the women of Australia will NEVER allow our society to be eroded to the point whereby we live in fear because of the way we choose to dress. We have always been fairly tolerant here but I think that is going to change...rapidly

In Pace Always
resi

NOT ONE VULGARITY

[edit on 26-10-2006 by resistancia]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Yeah, guys like him forget about the fact that women are just as "Homo Sapiens" as we are...

*Sigh*

Whats the problem with women becoming equal in the society of the world? And not just with Islam, but with any religion or community!?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join