It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate culprit for frog deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Special thanks to zenlover28 for pointing this out to me:

Climate culprit for frog deaths

The dramatic decline of some frog populations is directly connected to global warming, a new study claims.

The scientists looked at biodiversity hotspots in Central and South America, and found compelling links between frog extinctions and changes in temperature.

They believe the perfect conditions are being created for the spread of a fungus that is deadly to amphibians.

The article continues with:

Between the 1980s and 1990s, almost two-thirds of the 110 known species became extinct, and a chytrid fungus (Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis) has been suggested as the prime suspect.

Two-thirds!!!

:shk:

You know something is up when everyday you can easily retrieve articles like this one.

Thanks again, zenlover28, nice find.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thanks for digging it up, Loam. I would have never found it!

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
And frogs in the environment are like canaries in a coal mine - the first to die when conditions do not support life.

...Microbes are mutating and adapting to this new earth we have created - and certain microbes create poisons. Here's another example:

Toxic Wheat

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
From an Australian's point of view, i totally agree.

I live in 'the sticks' and purchased my home 15 years ago. I have a flowing creek which runs through the lower boundary of my paddock.

For the first 8 or 9 years i could go to bed at night and listen to the frogs. It was great.

Then in the space of about 3 years, there are no frogs. I have read articles that state that frog statistics are a respected indication of the environment in their location.

Other factors possibly contributing to frog declines include global changes to air and water quality, and climate change. deh.gov.au

It also makes me wonder what the water contains, as to pesticides ect.

Sanc'.

new topics

top topics

join