It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plasmasabers and the like...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I previously read up on a site about a design of some new device called a plasmasaber.

www.exn.ca...

Basically it describes how we can possibly come close to having anything like lightsabers and goes about telling how plasma is stored in a magnetic field which doesnt require a nuclear reactor in the hilt (as described in some threads
)

Anyway they did have a forum based on the concept but it was quite frankly pathetic and had 10 year olds commenting on how magnetic fields can only be round, and so I decided to post something about it here, where people actually know what they are talking bout most of the time

It would be nice to hear someones input in this regard

[edit on 7-1-2006 by SecretMuffinNinja]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Becuase not one of you has bothered to reply I thought I would...persuade you to do so with some pics

[edit on 9-1-2006 by SecretMuffinNinja]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
yes very interesting

but you should think twice before assuming that people hear o wat they are talking about.

ive seen people still talking about the "ether" and other such things, using them to explain effects

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
That looks like a fake to me but the website seems very legitimate,

i dont know! its wierd when somethings so high tech you assume its not real!

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I wouldnt say that containing plasma is fake. We have been able to do so for quite a while now. However powering the magnetic field is going to be a problem for the saber, unless they figure out how to get a nuclear reactor in a handle that size.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well there are a couple ways that this could be accomplished, the main hurdle is a powersource that fits the handle. The blade itself wouldn't be extremely hard to design. A low tech idea is a simple telescopic rod supreheated causing plasma to form around it. This is my personal favorite idea for it being the most practical with current tech. A similar idea replaces the plasma with multiple small laser beams surrounding a center shaft. Holographs and laser are among other methods that can be used (im not familiar with them as much so i'll withhold comment).

A futuristic design would be to take advantage of wireless communication and quantum mechanics. I remember a laser beam was teleported using quantum physics a few years back. Theoretically one could ave a radio transmitter in the saber handle so that when he presses the button/trigger to turn it on it signals a laser generator at a "home base" to turn on, and the blade is teleported to the handle. This avoids the powersource issue

top topics

join