It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mexico governor issues order to suspend open and concealed carry of guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Full title:

New Mexico governor issues order to suspend open and concealed carry of guns in Albuquerque, expects legal challenge

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — New Mexico governor issues order to suspend open and concealed carry of guns in Albuquerque, expects legal challenge.

This is just breaking.

My concern is that the NM govenor knows full well that it will be legally challenged, and likely lose, IMO.

This is the problem, there is no accountability nor culpability. While authoritarians in power are allowed to do authoritarian chit without any redress or recourse, there is no incentive for them to stop being authoritarians.

Link

ETA:

Link2

Found some more context:

There are several exceptions. The public health order does not impact private property, licensed firearm dealers, firing ranges, or shooting competitions. However, anyone traveling between those locations must store their guns in a locked container or safety box.

The order does not apply to law enforcement officers or licensed security officers.

edit on 8-9-2023 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It's what makes me sick about these leftists.

They do anything they want until legally challenged, and then still continue to do it.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They do anything they want until legally challenged, and then still continue to do it.

There is no culpability for doing it. That's part of the problem.

They suffer no ill effects of violating Americans civil rights.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Wow, only 1 thing?
I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count how many things make me sick about them.

The ban is completely unconstitutional, I hope she is ready to be disappointed.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The ridiculously stupid governor in NM, (a lot of them elsewhere too), being upset over criminals violently using guns in Albuquerque wants to allow ONLY the criminals to have firearms by banning the law abiding from carrying them. Not a very sound method of preventing gun crimes. It's the same thing as blocking people from evacuating fire zones.

Hopefully, the sheriff won't enforce this. They shouldn't.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:29 PM
link   

So this decision just comes on whim? Just hang'n out in the office
on a lazy day and suddenly it's time violate Albuquerques constitutional
rights?

Who does that?

(post by RazorV66 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saloon

So this decision just comes on whim? Just hang'n out in the office
on a lazy day and suddenly it's time violate Albuquerques constitutional
rights?

Who does that?

No, it follows a declarative emergency over an 11 year old boy being shot.......

Which you'd think that would be a failure of law enforcement and government...not law abiding citizens.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This will absolutely be legally challenged and is unconstitutional.

I’ve come to observe that the overriding political strategy this is implement by extreme-progressives is this:

- Find opportunity/crisis that allows you to work towards a goal (in this case, gun control or confiscation).
- Look at your wish list/agenda items and see if you can use said opportunity/crisis to your agenda’s benefit.
- Deploy something (no carry) that gets you closer to the goal
- Know it will be litigated because you know it’s a stretch at least and blatantly illegal under current law at worst.
- If it sticks, you now set precedent for your liberal counterparts in other states. (like this unconstitutional no carry thing).
- If it blows up, you at least got in have enacted it for a while, got some learning, can say you did something, and then blame the opposition (whoever) for the failure because the problem is ongoing.

Many subjects that have played out could overlay the above perfectly.

Next layer down:
- Do this in smaller, less important (or less important/nationally discussed ongoing) in the event it blows up. (Portland)
- Do it in a place where the courts are favorable to you (highly progressive) (west coast/northeast)
- Do it in a place you have a very progressive population that is die-hard in their dedication so no matter what goes wrong you’ll still be in power (SFO, NYC, PDX, LA, SEA, etc.).

You then compound all of that over the last ~50 years in particular and you have today.

I believe it was Obama who said “you go for 200% of what you want - get 60 or 70% - and you do it again”.

Say what you will about Obama or Emmanuel… you cannot deny they are excellent political strategists and fully get the long game. Impressive whether you agree with all of it or not.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Hey bro, glad you're still fighting the fight.

Anyway, NM is the new Ontario, Canada.

Scary, eh?

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Glad to see ya Myke and thanks for the kind words brotha.

My worry here is the clear roadmap being followed in Canada as well as here and all the violations of rights without any culpability.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:48 PM
link   

My concern as well, but I'll take it a step further and say wherever we find "Liberal" and/or "Progressive" governments, we also find an erosion of Rights, and not as an accidental result of failed policies, but as a carefully planned take down of any semblance of human decency and all that is just and true...on a (pretty much) global scale.

Not even hoping for the best anymore, but just preparing for what is inevitable..
edit on 9/8/2023 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

The downward spiral is well defined at this point, agreed.

Still get the feeling that by the time enough people are aware of what's going on, it's already too late.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Might want to put in the OP that the ban is in response to the gun violence and an 11 year old being fatally shot outside of a baseball stadium.

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days in the midst of a spate of gun violence.

The Democratic governor said she is expecting legal challenges but felt compelled to act in response to gun deaths, including the fatal shooting of an 11-year-old boy outside a minor league baseball stadium this week.

The firearms suspension is tied to a threshold for violent crime rates that only the Albuquerque area currently meets.

apnews.com...
edit on 8-9-2023 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It's already been added shortly after posting the OP and in a subsequent post........

Regardless, this is unconstitutional and a gross violation of civil rights.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Might want to put in the OP that the ban is in response to the gun violence and an 11 year old being fatally shot outside of a baseball stadium.

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days in the midst of a spate of gun violence.

The Democratic governor said she is expecting legal challenges but felt compelled to act in response to gun deaths, including the fatal shooting of an 11-year-old boy outside a minor league baseball stadium this week.

The firearms suspension is tied to a threshold for violent crime rates that only the Albuquerque area currently meets.

apnews.com...

The shooting of an 11 year old is horrific. I have two children in that demographic and I can’t even imagine the suffering that family is feeling right now. Overwhelming isn’t even scratching the surface.

But, if this was a 55 year old white guy, or a 20 year old gang banger, there’s no way you could enact this policy with a straight face.

While these actions from the governor sound good, it will do nothing because the bad guys are bad guys and don’t care. It only hurts law abiding citizens.

It’s a playbook and an opportunity for the governor - and factually sad, terrible, and entirely horrific beyond adjectives to describe it - is just an opportunity to use the emotional pull you just posted to violate constitutional rights.

See that whacko whom I believe was from Minnesota today? Councilwoman or something. She wanted to defund the police and all of that jazz. She gets car-jacked because of her own policies, suffers legit bodily harm and now she’s all about law and order.

Because in the real world, if you ban guns for law abiding citizens, you are only harming the law abiding citizenry and everyone else who ends up carrying (government and bad guys) all become one in the same.

Ironically, I’m not a gun enthusiast nor do I own one or carry.

But, that doesn’t mean I don’t see this for what it more than likely is in political terms.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:42 PM
link   

There are several exceptions. The public health order does not impact private property, licensed firearm dealers, firing ranges, or shooting competitions. However, anyone traveling between those locations must store their guns in a locked container or safety box.

The order does not apply to law enforcement officers or licensed security officers.

This right here is nearly as bad as Canada. Except the private property part. We don’t have any.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: DBCowboy

There is no culpability for doing it. That's part of the problem.

They suffer no ill effects of violating Americans civil rights.

And this is why we must assume the the republicans are, at the very least, complacent if not complicit in what the Marxists are doing to this country. I hear a lot of barking from them, but I haven't seen a bite yet.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:43 PM
link   
scotus all ready did this one for NY so not sure what the NM governor is smoking www.npr.org... ill just post the title as its an older article

Supreme Court strikes down N.Y. law that restricts concealed carrying of guns
i mean that right there in black and white takes out the NM law in question

apnews.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a major expansion of gun rights after a series of mass shootings, the Supreme Court said Thursday that Americans have a right to carry firearms in public for self-defense, a ruling likely to lead to more people legally armed. The decision came out as Congress and states debate gun-control legislation.
and the law over turned was a 100 year old law so its not like the New mexico can say they didn't understand it or that its different

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Based on the majority of actions (or not) taken by Rs.

Im in agreement.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join