It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a Japanese edition of the Book of Mormon of the Taisho Period and...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I'm the owner of the Japanese edition of the Book of Mormon of the Taisho Period. ( 1912 to 1923 ).
It most likely is a very rare possession for someone to have here in Japan. Maybe? I believe this book was published in 1922 according to Kanji which would be the Taisho Period.
I would think the language used in this book would now have changed a bit.
This link is about another Book of Mormon www.theguardian.com...

I would like to see what I can do with it and how about going about it .

I have no idea what the monetary value would be to the Headquarters here in Japan.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I'd think a good place to start would be contacting their headquarters in Japan.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

I'd think a good place to start would be contacting their headquarters in Japan.

Thanks.
I'm in the process now with someone at the local branch, but not the Bishop yet.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I agree, that's a good place to start. They may have private members that would want it too even if the church doesn't.

I'm surprised the book exists. My understanding of Japan at that time in history was that it was very closed to the outside world and I can't imagine printing was cheap or simple.

I have to be honest though. Between the time period of Shogun and WWII there's a pretty big blank space in my Japanese history lol. A lot could have happened, even Mormonism.

I found it so interesting I did a search before hitting reply, glad I did. First translation was in 1901 by a missionary. So this is presumably the first translation as the second didn't occur until after WWII.
BYU paper on it.
Article on the story of the first translation.

The second link has a picture that may look like yours, if so you may have a first edition.

Interesting thread MIM.

I hope you're gonna get some of those Romney Bain Capital bucks. I don't know how many of the early copies may have survived the wars. Lots of information in those links.

You should update us on what you find out and what happens with it. It could be there are more than I'd expect still in circulation. Not sure the market on it either way.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

I agree, that's a good place to start. They may have private members that would want it too even if the church doesn't.

I'm surprised the book exists. My understanding of Japan at that time in history was that it was very closed to the outside world and I can't imagine printing was cheap or simple.

I have to be honest though. Between the time period of Shogun and WWII there's a pretty big blank space in my Japanese history lol. A lot could have happened, even Mormonism.

I found it so interesting I did a search before hitting reply, glad I did. First translation was in 1901 by a missionary. So this is presumably the first translation as the second didn't occur until after WWII.
BYU paper on it.
Article on the story of the first translation.

The second link has a picture that may look like yours, if so you may have a first edition.

Interesting thread MIM.

I hope you're gonna get some of those Romney Bain Capital bucks. I don't know how many of the early copies may have survived the wars. Lots of information in those links.

You should update us on what you find out and what happens with it. It could be there are more than I'd expect still in circulation. Not sure the market on it either way.

On my cell phone I'm going to take a picture of the year which is in Japanese Kanji. So there's no mistake about my post. I've had this in my belongings for ... well, I'm not sure. But my relationship with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does go back some years. I don't really like to talk about my spiritual acceptances of faith, but I've always been open minded since my Southern Baptish days as a child.

OK, for the picture, I'm not sure how to do it, but I'm going to try this.
1. picture
2. email the picture to me
3. download the picture ( I really don't know where it goes from there )
4. look on my computer and try to find it
5. if found, go to ats to uploads and see what happens

You guys think that will work?

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 05:18 AM
link   

You can take a picture and upload it, but my only real exposure to Japanese is from Godzilla movies. I may not be much help here.

I don't even know enough to know how Japanese books from that era were numbered, if they were even. I have no idea what you need to take a picture of for somebody to identify it. Do religious texts of that era even have identification on the printing?

I'm as in the dark as you are my friend.

I still hope you get some Mormon good will in the form of currency though.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
I'm the owner of the Japanese edition of the Book of Mormon of the Taisho Period. ( 1912 to 1923 ).
It most likely is a very rare possession for someone to have here in Japan. Maybe? I believe this book was published in 1922 according to Kanji which would be the Taisho Period.
I would think the language used in this book would now have changed a bit.
This link is about another Book of Mormon www.theguardian.com...

I would like to see what I can do with it and how about going about it .

I have no idea what the monetary value would be to the Headquarters here in Japan.

Tried chat GPT but it doesn’t know of these books as follows.

Q1 Mormon of the Taisho Period Japanese version. Do you have any knowledge of these books?

Answer1.
As an AI language model, my knowledge is based on information available up until September 2021, and I don't have real-time updates. As of my last update, I am not aware of any specific books or literary works titled "Mormon of the Taisho Period" in Japanese. However, it is possible that there may be lesser-known or obscure works that I am not familiar with.
If you have more specific information about the book or the context in which it is mentioned, I may be able to provide you with a more accurate response.

Q2.
The Book of Mormon dates back to 1912 to 1922 but was published in 1922.

Answer2.
I apologize for any confusion. The Book of Mormon is a religious text that is believed to have been translated and published by Joseph Smith in 1830. It is considered a foundational scripture in the Latter-day Saint movement, commonly known as Mormonism. The events described in the Book of Mormon are said to have occurred in ancient America between approximately 2200 BC and 421 AD.
The Taisho period in Japan refers to the era from 1912 to 1926, during the reign of Emperor Taisho. However, there is no direct connection between the Taisho period and the Book of Mormon. It's worth noting that the Book of Mormon is primarily associated with the religious and historical context of the United States, rather than Japan.
If there is a specific aspect or connection you would like to know about, please provide more information so I can assist you better.

Q3.
Was there 2 versions printed in Japanese.

Answer3.
Yes, there have been two official versions of the Book of Mormon printed in Japanese. The first Japanese edition of the Book of Mormon was published in 1909. It was translated by Elder Alma O. Taylor and Seizo Miyazawa. This edition is commonly referred to as the "Taylor-Miyazawa" edition.

The second Japanese edition of the Book of Mormon was published in 1954. It was revised and updated by a committee of translators under the direction of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This edition is commonly referred to as the "LDS edition" or the "Standard Works edition."

Both editions have been used by Japanese-speaking members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and they are considered official translations of the Book of Mormon in Japanese.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Robbo2006
Hey thanks a lot I'm working on the picture right now I hope I can succeed stay tuned.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Hey thanks a lot I'm working on the picture right now I hope I can succeed stay tuned.

👍

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Robbo2006

👍

I still can't figure it out yet. I think I have to load the pic on the phone to the computer. Tomorrow I'll see if that works.
The book shows water stains, and the cover has worn its ink off, but binding wise is good condition

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Robbo2006

👍

I still can't figure it out yet. I think I have to load the pic on the phone to the computer. Tomorrow I'll see if that works.
The book shows water stains, and the cover has worn its ink off, but binding wise is good condition

Your timeline is an hour earlier than here so I’ll return tomorrow and see how you go, it might be possible to load pic to GPT. also put the pic into google. Good luck 73s

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to: musicismagic

1901 1st Mormons to Japan. Outlawed btwn' '24-'48...they still remained.

1st book conversion are at least 2 yrs after 1901... and you'll find their 1st books used in translation. Pretty close to 1901.
edit on 05235431America/ChicagoSun, 28 May 2023 09:55:54 -050055202300000054 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   

You’re description of the book seems that it would be considered to be in poor condition. Condition is everything in a rare book. Even so, I’m sure that it has value, you would have to get it appraised. Any rare book sellers in Japan? That would be the place to go. Good luck with your “ treasure “.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Put it up for auction on eBay.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ussmidway

That can net you penny’s, unless of course you set a reserve. But then how high do you set the reserve?

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well, the info I got is that there isn't a date of publication on any pages. The Kanji is actually numbers of the verses and chapters.
Well, I don't know if they'll be any interest now since anyone with interest would be over 70 at the church. It would be cool to see if this was the 1st print and see how the second print changed with the language and changes that were found and altered through time.

I really have no use for it. Although I do fill it is a collectors items for any church member. Haven't heard back from any member of the church here in town.

It was fun to find out what you all had to say. MIM's "little treasure" ?

posted on Feb, 7 2024 @ 07:33 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Do you still have that Morumon kei? What did you end up doing with it? I would be interested in possibly buying it off you if you are wanting to part with it and still have it.

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I served my mission in Japan a few years ago btw haha, I’m not some 70 year old member of the church! Also located in Utah if that would make it easier

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 12:06 PM
link   
And I will be in Japan the first week of march id that is where you are located.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join