It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fixed Disappearing bright stars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Hi,

For the last few weeks i've been star gazing at around 1am-4am. I have seen the odd shooting star (never ceases to amaze me). But recently i have started to notice a strange light.

What it appears to look like is a very bright star, almost planet like it appears to be brighter, much brighter then any other star in the sky. Now heres the weird stuff...

This "bright star" will randomly appear in sight and then disappear moments after (around 2-3seconds). I have tried recording it but my camera isnt very good at picking the night sky. Most of the sightings the "bright star" does not move and looks exactly like any other star. However just last night i noticed it again and it actually moved but not in a fluid motion. It actually appeared like a star in a fixed position. Then "turned off" then like less then a second later appeared again slightly to the right.

I know for a fact this is not a plane as planes cant stay still in the sky and cant move as fast as this. I have done some research and the closest thing i can find is a occultation (sp), but even that i read is meant to reappear 5 or so minutes after disappearing this just vanished.

If any one has any ideas how i could record this please let me know. And any ideas on what this can be or if any one has seen similar sightings please let me know.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I have eye problems and when I try to focus on a star I can`t see it anymore, unless I look somewhere near that star.

Also, there is the Demon Star, Algol (in Perseus). It`s called the demon star because it was a myth about it being the eye of the devil as it disapears every two days. This happens because it`s actually a three-star system and it`s being eclipsed by the dimmer Beta Persei B.

But you said it`s only for 2-3 sec

So, I don`t know, maybe it`s a satellite or the X37B or an UFO

Anyway, check out Stellarium if you have it or go here to look for satellites` positions www.heavens-above.com...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
ive got stellarium on my phone now. When or If it appears next i'll try and roughly log where i saw it and what constellation it was near.

I know it was not the ISS or a satellite as i'd expect them to be moving and as i have seen them before and it didnt look like them.

UFO maybe as its unexplained. Just did some research on the X37B.

X-37B has thrusters for on-orbit maneuvering and de-orbit, but no
engines for powered flight in the air—it is a glider in the atmosphere

source

It actually could have been a thruster burst? not sure if this would be seen from the ground?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Where are you?

www.heavens-above.com...

I think that you could`ve seen it from the west coast, I`m not sure though.
Last night it moved from NW to SE.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef3151aa46ef.png[/atsimg]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'm from the UK, so i dont think i could have seen it. Right?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthKix

Hmm, yeah.
Well, next time it happens, be very observant of every detail of it and if you find something new, tell us.
There are more folks here who know this stuff better.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthKix
ive got stellarium on my phone now. When or If it appears next i'll try and roughly log where i saw it and what constellation it was near.
Stellarium on your phone should help.

I just read about the "Google sky map" app for the Android phone, that sounds even better, and it's free! Well, the Google app is, not the phone.

www.google.com...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I myself see this star every night around 11 pm, i have a very good telescope and it appears to be Red/Green/blue and yellow, its the brightest star out there and its not the north star nor a satilight i know what they look like .. its like a firery planet shaped Star and i show my girlfriend tonight and then it moved or disaperaed in seconds .. i have star gazed many years and never seen anything like it

i also witnessed Real UFO's i have many reports in www.nuforc.org... i think it may be the planet that everyone has been talking about and old Scriptures in ancient times...

Niburu or something like that

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandri_90
I have eye problems and when I try to focus on a star I can`t see it anymore, unless I look somewhere near that star.

It's called averted vision.
en.wikipedia.org...

Astronomers use this technique as well.

Just to add to the thread, I too have once seen a light in the sky the magnitude of Jupiter, I watched it for about 2 minutes, and it slowly faded away. I still wonder what I saw to this day.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Freezer]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It's 11:14 p.m. right now in western nebraska. I see a VERY bright, huge light in the sky to the North-West I believe. I mean ridiculously HUGE and BRIGHT! I've never seen anything like it... Trying to find my camera.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by doped00]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by doped00]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Iradium flare? Just happen to the E, 8:35 MST.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freezer
Just to add to the thread, I too have once seen a light in the sky the magnitude of Jupiter, I watched it for about 2 minutes, and it slowly faded away. I still wonder what I saw to this day.

See 2:38 in this video, it's a possibility.

(click to open player in new window)

Some strange things can happen in the sky.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

This is what it looks like in my Telescope ( very accurate ) ( i Made the Pic BTW )

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is no star or Satellite its a planet and my of took pictures of it with her camera and every pic she took had some kind of Alien face on it ( these pics will be uploaded tomorrow ) we are very creeped out by it

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I am sooo glad you posted this. I actually had a experience with this just last Friday morning. I am new here so the only place I could really post it up was under the thread of "Whats the weirdest thing that has happened to you."
To make it easier I will just post what I said happened from there to here. Is this anything like you saw?

posted on 29-5-2010 @ 09:00 PM

Have had lots of strange or wired things happen to me in my lifetime, but this is probably one of the weirdest and it happened yesterday morning about 4:15 am est. in Providence Rhode Island.

I drive a cab and was sitting at my usual spot watching beautiful venus in the sky as per usual when all the sudden she just slid to the left about two inches from my perspective, then vanished. The skies were clear, but I thought ok maybe there was a cloud I can't see so I waited for it to pass. Still nothing.

About 15 min later I got a fare to the airport and when I pulled to the end of the drive, there was venus way over to the right brighter then ever.

There was no time to grab camera, not to mention my shock at seeing it. I have taken a old picture to try and show you what I saw to give perspective at least. Mind you the moon was setting behind me and this is looking pretty much due east.

venus slide pic

Dawn was just breaking and she was really the only planet star in the sky on that horizen. I would have noticed if there were more.
So that's my weird moment for the day! I am so hoping someone else saw that somewhere besides me. Feel like a nut telling it, but I know what I saw.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Original

Brightened

We took a Picture with the Telescope and appears to have horns ( 100x100 Focus )

Brightened

I have many more ( i have sent them to a university for Study the best pics are with 300x300 focus )

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orrises

Original

Brightened

We took a Picture with the Telescope and appears to have horns ( 100x100 Focus )

Brightened

I have many more ( i have sent them to a university for Study the best pics are with 300x300 focus )

Look to the Right of the Pictures you will see the Alien Face

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
although many possibilities can explain the events, it is most likely an eye issue. it is sometimes hard to focus and that can cause the star to "move"

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Freezer

Thank you so much!!
I didn`t know about that. I tought it was because of my floaters. (and myopia)

By developing the technique, some observers report a gain of up to three or four magnitudes (15:1 to 40:1).

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthKix

top topics

<<   2 >>

join