It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Holographicmeat

Exactly!

Plus, add the fact that people who catch a glimpse of the 'terror' pretty much all have similar descriptions:

Old hag
Shadow Man
Alien Grey

Trust me, its the creepiest thing in the WORLD...I'd never opened my eyes through the years during this, but the other night I did. It was a dark shadaw , which seem to keep hiding past the couch that I was sleeping on.

My dad told me about his glimpse of the entity long ago and described an Alien Grey who kept hiding beneath his bed.

I think it's Wild!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I find it rather odd that none of us here are related in anyway, yet we all have similar experiences.

I get the buzzing and white noise ... explosions of white light going off in my head. Not forgetting the ringing in my ears.
That's just before its started. You cant make it up!! hx

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
From what I have experienced, I can't differentiate between Sleep Paralysis and Lucid Dreaming. Most of my experience comes from around the time of waking up or rolling over during sleep. Its just like you can't move your body but your consciousness hangs around for a few seconds and then catches up soon. It could be terrifying as well as utterly confusing cuz there is no way to know what the hell happened.

Lucid dreaming is a strange experience. I can't honestly tell whether it was LD or OBEs. There is so much confusion going on for me. On many occasions, I knew I was suddenly awake but without opening my eyes. There were images that I could see and feel. Its like you are there experiencing everything. Suddenly, I feel a sense of something pulling me from that place and I just roll over. One important aspect is the heating up of the forehead, heat sensation through the ears & around the fingers and the intense vibrations happening within.

I could fly, raise up slowly all just by lying on bed..yeah! and it gets more intense once I start relaxing. Though I bet nothing frightening happens because I am still on bed, I can't continue doing so. The vibrations part indicates that its the beginning stage of an OBE. But as I said, I can't differentiate between all these. If you want more info on this, read Robert Monroe's books.
edit on 28-2-2014 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by happinness

and

edit on 2282014 by QueenofSpades because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Just posting some SP stories from YouTube that I found interestng:

Yes, everyone, no matter geographic location, has extremely simiar experiences...

and

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Anyone interested in experiencing SP,

Bin-aural beats at the 6-7hz range, was doing it to try lucid dreaming.

triggered it one night while trying to sleep.

was rather frightening and would not recommend the attempt to the feint of heart.

It may not happen he fist time but experiment to see what settings and effects they have.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sometimes I become aware during my dreams, instead of the "regular lucid dreaming" state occurring, everything goes black and I feel intense fear. My mind screams for help, I call out to my parents, to anyone, but in reality nothing happens. I'm not sure how long it lasts, when I wake up I'm always covered in sweat. Also, I'll have "Dreams" that I'll fall into a coma,or get hit in the head hard , I become aware and cry for help.
They are horrible and occur every few weeks.
Not sure if it counts as SP, but it sucks.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sleep paralysis is just the point where you transition from your subconscious mind being dominant to your conscious mind being dominant.

Normally this happens smoothly and you wake normally but during a sleep paralysis event the transition gets a little out of sync.

Remember your subconscious mind is very powerful in many respects it is superior to your conscious mind but it is more machine like.

Think of it like this a computers hard drive can store vast amounts of useful data but you need a quick processor to make sense of it at a useful speed your subconscious is the hard drive your conscious is the processor in between you have the RAM where specific data is temporarily stored before being processed. In the computer that is your mind the RAM modules is where sleep paralysis happens.

The reason for the similarities in sleep paralysis events is complex but it involves instinctive memories stored in the subconscious for millions of years waking suddenly from sleep was usually down to an attack from a predator and for our distant ancestors that meant big cats.

Waking up in a unusual way your subconscious will offer up the most likely scenario so that your conscious mind is equipped to process the situation and make speedy decisions usually this happens quickly but during a sleep paralysis event things are out of sync.

Your subconscious will feed you images and feelings based on a predator attack e.g. a feeling of terror a dark shape lurking nearby it pouncing and pinning you down the often described entity with a wide brimmed hat and a wispy beard in silhouette the brim of the hat could represent a big cats ears and the wispy beard an analogy of a cats whiskers.

The reason this entity now in modern times takes on a more human form is that for the last 10s of thousands of years the big cats have become a lesser threat and for millennia now an attacker in the night has been more likely to be another human mix in this folklore of scary witches & vampires etc of more modern times and you have the logical reasons for the similarities of these sleep paralysis entitles.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by brianporter

Here's why I disagree that this is a 'sleeping condition'...

I doubt that it is something occuring as a result of your brain and body not connecting; they are ALWAYS connecting. People going through this will adamentally tell you tat they are wide awake...not dreaming at all. Actually, it mostly occurs at the onset of waking up. You wake up, open your eyes, and see everything is normal and as it should be. The TV is still showing your program...

then it happens.

You can't move. You can't speak. You physically FEEL the presence of terror, of an entity in the room.

Some people at this point catch a glimpse, others hear the buzzing or swooshing noise, lots of times accompanied with footsteps. You remain awake due to the fear.

You REMAIN awake.

The point is that you don't "wake" up again. And that's because you were never sleep during the episode.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It used to scare me when I was younger. A few years ago I figured out the finger or toe-wiggling thing to snap back to reality and then one time maybe a year ago I settled my fears down (it took a lot) and decided to instead investigate it. As soon as I did that my entire body from head to toe started vibrating intensely and it was very euphoric.
Now whenever it happens I embrace it and continue to calm the fear and the sense of someone being in the room. Actually, come to think of it, these body-vibrations have seemed to replace the paralysis part because now I can move. When the vibrations first started, moving used to immediately stop it, but now as long as it is slow movements I can keep it going for upwards of an hour.
I was reading a bit yesterday about similar accounts, but I don't really know what it is.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hey... Long time lurker here. Probably been quite a few years that I have been browsing this site and avidly reading posts that interest me.

This in particular is something I have experienced.

The backstory is that I read about "astral projection" when I was in University and thought it was a fantastic concept. I was slightly sceptical about it all but at the same time, I believe we are capable of controlling our own mind and body so I gave it a shot. The thing that worked for me was (and this is only my own experience of it, don't take it as gospel) :-

-Get comfy in bed

-Listen to the high pitch noise coming from your ears, focus only on that (its quiet to begin with and really is coming from your ears/head).

-Focus on that noise indefinitely. (this takes a lot of patience and some balls)

-If you get far enough, you feel like your sinking, like your very heavy and your falling right into your bed. At this point you almost feel numb, the only sensations you have are the high pitch noise and the feeling of sinking.

-If you don't freak out and you hold your focus, you will then experience the noise getting louder, like deafeningly loud.

Somewhere around this point you should start seeing through your closed eyes. By this I don't mean X ray vision, I mean controlling your vision, whatever you want to imagine will start happening, sort of... I say sort of because its really bloomin hard to control. My first experience I tried to float out of my body but ended up spiralling out of control and going through the walls.

Now, don't read into that too much please, as other times I have tried this it has been nothing to do with my room, my body or my house. I don't necessarily believe in astral projection as it is written, more in the power of our own capability and imagination.

I digress... I gave up on this after a while as I often slipped into the land of nod and forgot the rest of what happened. My next focus was lucid dreaming. The method I followed was simple, throughout the day I would stop occasionally and imagine what it would be like to fly. I tried to picture shooting off from my location, how it would feel, how it would look. Soon enough I was having dreams of flying, then becoming aware in my dream that it was actually a dream. This still happens on a regular basis and I can control my dreams quite often. Not fully, but I become aware and start enjoying my freedom in my dreams.

I digress again... The point of all this back-story is that I played around with that stuff and it obviously had an impact on my sleep patterns and my dreams.

Since I started all this stuff I have had a regular, once a month, sleep paralysis episode.

Most of the time it will be really loud ringing in my ears, deafening, I cant move and I am in bed. I am almost certain that sometimes my eyes are open, sometimes they aren't. I say this because my girlfriend is in bed next to me and I snap out of it by rolling over, I have woken her up on occasion and there was no transition for me from sleep world to real world. Other times I have woken myself up to find the room is different, or the light is different.

The freakiest experiences I had was :-

For around 2-3 months I was getting this sleep paralysis but instead of ringing it was talking. Its like they were speaking normally but I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Not so much whispering, just talking. It didn't sound like it was in the room, it sounded like it was right inside my head. It only lasted a span of a few months but it was bloomin creepy.

Not really experienced much of it since I moved out of that house.

Just my experience, hope to hear from others about theirs.

Edit: I would like to add that when I was hearing the talking I was not freaking out or panicking, although it was creepy I am one of those "I am superman" types and don't believe that things like that can harm me in any way. I tried to listen for as long as possible, I tried to understand what was being said... But I inevitably woke up and it stopped...
edit on 28-2-2014 by castfromgranite because: To add further information

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
For those who believe that this is a 'medical' or even a 'sleep' condition, PLEASE explain how it is that millions of people world wide experience the same:

sound of footsteps
sound of children (laughing, playing)
sound of a drill
STRONG presence in the room
glimpse of a shadowy entity
inability to move or speak
pressure pinning us down

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

GladiusPrime
Hey my very first post, I am a long time lurker.

Anyways I had one experience of SP. If i recall correctly I was either hung over or sore from a work out (cant remember its been a few years.) Anyways i was laying down on my back and i got that infamous ringing in my ears and i started to hear my self breathe deep through my ears.

I remember being confused and afraid at first.... my head was tilted slightly towards my wall towards the stairs, and behind the stairs was my furnace room and I had this compelling reason something nasty and frightening was getting ready to come out and make its way towards me.

Now believe you/me I am not a fighter and the fights I have been in rarely ever went my way but my mind went into survival beast mode... I remember getting extremely angry and pissed and wanting to get up and confront what ever was over there. Words can not describe how hostile and irate I became it felt like if i was able to over come this paralysis I could end this and win.

Sure enough i broke free of the paralysis and stumbled out of my bed made sure i had good balance before walking into that furnace room.

Nothing there, hasn't happened since and i am glad. If i remember though I will pray instead and tell myself it isn't what it feels like

I absolutely love sp experiences. I haven't had one for a long time unfortunately. One experience involved a silhouette in a wide brimmed hat walking slowly towards me in my bedroom. I have somewhat of a temper and even though I couldn't move, in my mind I transformed myself into a HUGE fanged black mass of something or other and roared, towering over this sad excuse of a terror, and watched him fizzle out. I must have scared the # out of it if it was a real conscious entity. Since then, I actually try to create sp on my own. I've always heard it's a precursor to your consciousness leaving your body. That's my goal. I'm going to start meditating in order to learn how to make myself fall into these easier. It can almost be addictive.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by spacemanjupiter

I'm about to creep you out about your 'visitor'.

He is sometimes called "hat man"

This is 'Hat Man'...from people who do not know each other.

Just for the record, I am NOT watching these videos. Getting creeped out already.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
i've had it many times and it's never seemed paranormal.
it hurts really really bad for me.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by spacemanjupiter

With you on loving SP. It can sometimes be super scary and even painful, but when SP happens an OBE can occur. I roll on over and out of my body. It's great.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zenem

Just reading about something at the window brought back a memory of a similar experience - I had a very realistic dream that someone was at my window starting at me. I don't remember if I had the paralysis but I do know there was a great deal of fear and heaviness - pinned down. It just came back to me.

Even if this is all a sleep phenomenon why the alien theme? Why are they such a threat? An old brain thing - ancient repressed memories perhaps.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Hmm, interesting. One time when it happened to me, it happened as SOON as I lay down in bed, I would get this loud buzzing and feel like I was being sucked away. I would break out of it physically and sit up, and it would be gone. So I would lie down again, and it would start again. So finally I just decided to go with it and boom - left my body, floated around the room for a bit. This might not sound like SP because of my ability to sit up really quickly, but I've had it a few times and have found that with all the might in my mind/body, I can sit up out of it, thought it's a huge effort.

A friend of mine told me she used to wake up in the morning, and be in SP. It would scare the crap out of her and she'd try and try to get up out of bed, and boom, finally she'd be up. But then she looked back, and she was still in bed. So she FLIPPED out and ran downstairs, trying to get the attention of her family members, of course no one saw her. Her sister had been making pasta. Finally she would come out of this, got up for real, and went downstairs and saw the sister and the pasta.

SP is clearly some kind of interim state, in between place that we sometimes find ourselves in. That whole thing about the greys is fascinating. I saw this whole show on how they were trying to scientifically debunk the grays. So they stimulated the part of the brain of a subject, to induce sleep paralysis or something associated with it. The guy saw the greys. So they were like, "Conclusion, they don't exist." Like the fact that you can stimulate a part of someone's brain and the greys appear doesn't warrant more investigation? Apparently not, just "not real, move on." Morons.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

radkrish
From what I have experienced, I can't differentiate between Sleep Paralysis and Lucid Dreaming. Most of my experience comes from around the time of waking up or rolling over during sleep. Its just like you can't move your body but your consciousness hangs around for a few seconds and then catches up soon. It could be terrifying as well as utterly confusing cuz there is no way to know what the hell happened.

Lucid dreaming is a strange experience. I can't honestly tell whether it was LD or OBEs. There is so much confusion going on for me. On many occasions, I knew I was suddenly awake but without opening my eyes. There were images that I could see and feel. Its like you are there experiencing everything. Suddenly, I feel a sense of something pulling me from that place and I just roll over. One important aspect is the heating up of the forehead, heat sensation through the ears & around the fingers and the intense vibrations happening within.

I could fly, raise up slowly all just by lying on bed..yeah! and it gets more intense once I start relaxing. Though I bet nothing frightening happens because I am still on bed, I can't continue doing so. The vibrations part indicates that its the beginning stage of an OBE. But as I said, I can't differentiate between all these. If you want more info on this, read Robert Monroe's books.

I second reading Robert Monroe's books, they are stunning and amazing.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

The study part is telling although it would need to be reliable data (repeatable experiment) to draw any conclusions. So you make a good point - one experiment doesn't cut it. But let's say they did repeat this study over and over again and people still saw these alien beings - this doesn't mean they don't exist.

For example, we know we use only a small portion of what our brain is capable of (not meant to be a joke - other parts are dormant). What if by stimulating this region (whichever region it is they did this with), it brings it out of dormancy - a blending of worlds or dimensions are possible only when stimulated. Or...as stated above above, they might simply be an ancient memory (a severe trauma of times so far gone only by waking this part of the mind can we catch a flash).

Someone said we are half asleep and half awake when this happens. It is believed - for some, that you also need a perfect state of relaxation blended with consciousness to time travel or cross over into alternate places. People who go into trances have a good mix of both. People who transcend say both exist (deep relaxation and consciousness). Who is to say it doesn't open some sort of a "portal"? - not the best word but it gets the idea across.

edit on 1-3-2014 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join