It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Secret Drum Corps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
No... ATS does not have it's own drum corps, but if they did - They'd want these guys!

I don't think I have ever been as fascinated with drumming as I am while watching these guys perform. Flair, accuracy, heart, talent, etc. They seem to have it all. The synchronicity blows my mind when I watch it. It kind of gives you a whole new appreciation for "the arts" (if you lost it a bit before).

Meet The Top Secret Drum Corps

Top Secret Drum Corps is a precision drum corps based in Basel, Switzerland. With 25 drummers and colorguard members, the corps became famous for its demanding six-minute routine performed at the Edinburgh Tattoo in 2003. With its invitation to Edinburgh, Top Secret became one of the first non-military, non-British Commonwealth acts to perform on the Esplanade at Edinburgh Castle.

Since its success in 2003, Top Secret was invited to return to Edinburgh in 2006 with a new and improved routine. They were invited a third time in 2009 and again in 2012. Under the leadership of Erik Julliard, the band is also responsible for the founding of the Basel Tattoo, a military tattoo show similar to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, now held annually in Basel.

This is their very first Tattoo:

Top Secret has its roots in the rich drumming traditions of the band's home city, Basel, Switzerland, which is known for its annual carnival called Fasnacht. The city is said to have over 3,000 active drummers at any one time. These drummers perform at traditional events such as Fasnacht, the Vogel Gryff, Charivari, and various parades associated with the city's guilds. A Trommelkönig (Drummer King) competition is also held every year by the city's Fasnacht Committee.

Basel drumming style is militaristic, derived from the military drumming drills of Swiss soldiers dating back to the Middle Ages. Top Secret in many ways adheres to the military nature of Basel drumming, but differs in many respects. Its drummers play at a much faster rate. Also, while traditional Basel drumming is somber and favors traditional marching tunes (accompanied by fifes during the Fasnacht), Top Secret's drumming style is upbeat and playful. Over the years, the corps adopted many elements from Drum Corps International (DCI), Scottish, and American rudimental drumming. Segments of their routines feature a "rhumba", a drummer's duel, drumstick juggling, exploding flagpoles, and other crowd-pleasing details. Their 2012 routine at the Edinburgh Tattoo included strobe lights within their drums that appeared to be activated by the drummer's beats. Perhaps because of their 18th Century uniforms and precision work, the Corps is often referred to as a military band or a part of the Swiss Army, but it is not affiliated with any military unit.

By combining all of the drumming styles, it's paying off for them in as they have exploded onto the scene in a huge way.

Top Secret's members are highly dedicated drummers with diverse day jobs—bankers, civil servants, factory workers, etc.[1] They give up their free time to practice nearly every day of the year. Due to the demanding nature of the work, its membership is frequently changing.

Considering that these guys have day jobs and do this "after work", I am even more impressed.

Here they are "Drumming For Drinks"

Now you're just showing off - (unreal synchronization at around the 5:20 mark)

Setting it on fire - (literally)

And one more for the road - (Binary Code)

I know this doesn't interest some of you, but I found it amazing and have scoured youtube for more videos. There are many more to be found for those of you who are interested in it. It makes me want to join a drumline... or something.

The Top Secret Drum Corps Website: www.topsecretbasel.ch...
Wikipedia Source: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Our local high school band has a very, very strong tradition of awarded excellence. Their drum section in particular is habitually amazing. while not as large as the troupe(s) in the videos in the OP, I would put them head to head any day of the week.

They can march (consistently award winning marching band, including the last 10 years running, and a few shows at Carnegie Hall along the way). But when the drum section plays, just them....its the best show you can see without packing yourself into an arena (the drum duet I saw Godsmack do while on tour with Metallica was pretty amazing).

I looked for some Youtube footage of the high school drum section alone, and can't find any. Which shocks me.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

edit on 28-2-2014 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

join