It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shocking numbers behind corporate welfare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Federal, state and local governments publish exhaustively detailed statistical reports on welfare to the poor, disabled, sick, elderly and other individuals who cannot support themselves. The cost of subsidized food, housing and medical care are all documented at government expense, with the statistics posted on government websites.

america.aljazeera.com...

But corporate welfare is not the subject of any comprehensive reporting at the federal level. Disclosures by state and local governments vary greatly, from substantial to nearly nonexistent.

This is an opinion piece where a reporter tries to track down the amount of money from tax dollars that is paid to business. Most of the information is coming from this site.

www.goodjobsfirst.org...

Do we have a need for more transparency in this? Why isn't there more documented research tracking this money? Exactly how much does it cost the people to support companies and corporations? Are we essence buying profits for companies so they can provide jobs that we then pay taxes on?

Are you renting your job?

edit on 25-2-2014 by Seiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

In America, the investment with (by far) the best ROI is buying political favors, tax breaks etc. It's part of the game to keep it under wraps. It's been this way since shortly after the civil war.

I'm curious as to why anyone would believe the corrupt bureaucrats or either political party would allow this to be formalized and quantified.

This is as close as you will get to disclosure

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Seiko
Are you renting your job?

Interesting way of looking at it, but the answer would be yes.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Good thread, and yes, food stamps are 100 percent corporate welfare.

So you can add that amount to what corporations receive from the American government.

Although some conservatives have criticized poor people, and even Obama (I just saw that food stamps rose 48 percent during his years in off, compared to 63 percent during Boy Bush's and Dick Cheney's watch), the folks laughing all the way to the bank are Soda companies, big sugar, bread companies, ADM, and many more. This isn't even counting the stores which take the food stamps and scoop up the profit: WalMart, big grocers, Whole Foods, SamsClub, and dozens of other major stores which benefit from this corporate welfare.

When lower income people in America get "food stamps" they are usually getting a plastic debit card, which is swiped at a check-out counter. Any money that changes hands goes right from the government to the corporations.

That's a form of American corporate welfare that most people forget.
edit on 25-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by Seiko

Good thread, and yes, food stamps are 100 percent corporate welfare.

So you can add that amount to what corporations receive from the American government.

Although some conservatives have criticized poor people, and even Obama (I just saw that food stamps rose 48 percent during his years in off, compared to 63 percent during Boy Bush's and Dick Cheney's watch), the folks laughing all the way to the bank are Soda companies, big sugar, bread companies, ADM, and many more. This isn't even counting the stores which take the food stamps and scoop up the profit: WalMart, big grocers, Whole Foods, SamsClub, and dozens of other major stores which benefit from this corporate welfare.

When lower income people in America get "food stamps" they are usually getting a plastic debit card, which is swiped at a check-out counter. Any money that changes hands goes right from the government to the corporations.

That's a form of American corporate welfare that most people forget.

Not to mention the fact that many working poor who qualify for food stamps do so because their corporate employers refuse to pay them a living wage. So in essence, we're subsidizing their workforce which could also be considered as "corporate welfare."

I read years ago that for every dollar we spend on social welfare, we spend another 3 dollars on corporate welfare. As usual, the biggest whiners in the house are the ones sucking the most out of the system.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Lots of corporate welfare going on, then, yep, the corporations pay semi-low wages with less employees shuffling the work. I don't know what tax rate corporations have to pay, or how it balances out with the welfare, I have no idea about those numbers and how close they come to one another, or have a problem with corporate welfare as long as it helps the poor too, which is what the food stamp program does.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Capitalism DO NOT require corporate have social welfare, so that is what the number reflect - almost none.
If Apple doesnt want to give its free Iphone to the poor, nobody can stop them.
Food stamp is sort of government subsidy, gov tax you, corporate get the "gov money", poor people get the cheaper food, everyone win, everyone happy, (except tax payer).
To pay the tax, you have to work, so...work harder you slaves!! or the company will go to China !

edit on 25-2-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

What an excellent addition, thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't start this thread because I had a specific point other then the fact that the money isn't listed as well as I think it should be. We have a right to know where the government spends tax dollars. Whether this subsidy goes to a corporate account or to social benefits the end result is the same, tax money is being spent. If we count the cost of social programs such as food stamps, we should also tally the subsidies and grants.

edit on 25-2-2014 by Seiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Among the reason we never get out from Afghanistan and Iraq and other places. Imagine the defense contact value, half of budget, pretty good eh ?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Good thread, and yes, food stamps are 100 percent corporate welfare. So you can add that amount to what corporations receive from the American government. Although some conservatives have criticized poor people, and even Obama (I just saw that food stamps rose 48 percent during his years in off, compared to 63 percent during Boy Bush's and Dick Cheney's watch), the folks laughing all the way to the bank are Soda companies, big sugar, bread companies, ADM, and many more. This isn't even counting the stores which take the food stamps and scoop up the profit: WalMart, big grocers, Whole Foods, SamsClub, and dozens of other major stores which benefit from this corporate welfare. When lower income people in America get "food stamps" they are usually getting a plastic debit card, which is swiped at a check-out counter. Any money that changes hands goes right from the government to the corporations. That's a form of American corporate welfare that most people forget.

Unfortunately, I must agree with you. All one has to do is look at the Department of Agriculture's budget and see how all this taxpayer money ends up on Wall Street. Not a damn thing anyone can do about it. I still think it's unfair to solely put the blame on LBJ however once you start giving things away-politically it is impossible to stop giving things away.

top topics

join