It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Video of Total Emotional Breakdown Caused By Police Harassment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So, I just came across this video on FB and I guess it's circulating around now. It just makes me sad to see cops treating people the way they do. I don't want people to believe I'm anti-police, because I do believe there are good, intelligent ones out there, but it just makes me sad when I see new clips practically every day that just make me question what the F is going on. Personally, I had a tough time watching the clip in the link because it's obvious that the man is having an emotional breakdown and by all signs of it, did nothing wrong, but the cop just held his chest, almost provoking him. The way I see it, a cop should never put their hands on you, unless they are arresting you. If you want to arrest this man then handcuff him, but don't hold his chest like that when it's obviously bothering him.

This is one of the comments from the link that I totally agree with... I think police need to be better trained in the emotional aspect of stopping people. They should continually be telling people what is happening. When someone gets stopped, the adrenaline goes up, fear and fight or flight comes into play. It's easy for us to say "why get up?" but these people are in a highly emotional state. I often see tapes of officers ignoring people when they are asked why they are being held, what is happening, etc? I realize police aren't customer service reps but I think communication would go a long way in calming situations down.

From Gawker...

Many videos, from Rodney King onwards, have captured the physical violence of police brutality. Rarer is a video that captures the psychological trauma of someone suffering a complete emotional breakdown in the face of police harassment.

The video below popped up on Facebook yesterday, and has already been shared thousands of times. It shows a man who, according to the person recording the video, was pulled off of a bus in the Bronx by police. He's seated on a low wall, and two cops are questioning him, while holding onto his chest. He protests that he has a bus ticket and an ID, and that he has been stopped for no reason. (The cameraman says this is true, for what it's worth.)

The man grows more and more upset that the police refuse to take their hands off him. Eventually, he tries to stand up. More cops appear, and he is tackled to the ground, protesting his innocence the entire time.

One can argue about what may have happened before the video began, or that the man should not have tried to stand up. But what is undeniable is the raw psychological pain of a man who just wanted to ride the bus, and has now been pushed past the limit of what he can tolerate. The video is painful to watch. How many incidents of police harassment had to happen in the past for this man to reach his breaking point on that Bronx sidewalk?

Link to the clip

I tried to find the clip on YT but I haven't found it yet and I don't know how to embed a video from a site like Gawker to ATS. So I do apologize to those who can't click on the link to watch the clip.
edit on 24-2-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Here is a video of a cop harassing a non-threatening civilian and then assaulting him. To me, the cop was just looking for trouble, mocking and trying to aggravate the cameraman. The camera man should have never cursed at the cop, but other than that the cameraman was not breaking any laws.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Don't watch video's like this anymore as they just make me mad, and with it being on Facebook doesn't surprise me just fuels the anger.

edit on 24-2-2014 by coolcatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

nomoregmo
Here is a video of a cop harassing a non-threatening civilian and then assaulting him. To me, the cop was just looking for trouble, mocking and trying to aggravate the cameraman. The camera man should have never cursed at the cop, but other than that the cameraman was not breaking any laws.

That cop is such a POS in that video.... These are the fools we have protecting us?? Seriously, to the cops on ATS, please explain the logic (if there is any) behind what the cop is doing?? I hope you all agree that the way he is conducting himself on the job is HIGHLY inappropriate...

I honestly pray this cop was fired.....
edit on 24-2-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

"Ami I being arrested?"

"Am I free to go?"

Two very simple and important questions.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

"Ami I being arrested?"

"Am I free to go?"

^this
Know your rights, or become a victim.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

"Ami I being arrested?"

"Am I free to go?"

And if they don't answer are we allowed to walk away? I would like to think yes, but I think it doesn't happen too often.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

jhn7537

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

"Ami I being arrested?"

"Am I free to go?"

And if they don't answer are we allowed to walk away? I would like to think yes, but I think it doesn't happen too often.

I can't answer for the Bronx. But in my neck o the woods, especially with a camera on, id sure just walk away and happily have my day in court. I used to detest the ACLU. An enemy of my enemy has made them someone I am quite fond of.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

jhn7537

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

"Ami I being arrested?"

"Am I free to go?"

I can't answer for the Bronx. But in my neck o the woods, especially with a camera on, id sure just walk away and happily have my day in court. I used to detest the ACLU. An enemy of my enemy has made them someone I am quite fond of.

I agree, and I wish I lived in an area where I could just walk away... Here in Chicago you don't even think twice to even talk back to an officer (calmly) or he is putting you down and hard.. I've seen it way too many times... Just guys on ridiculous power trips.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I don't handle that kind of stuff well. I am not violent by nature. Or maybe I am, but i stifle the animal. I dunno. Once the switch is flipped....

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

The camera man should have never cursed at the cop
reply to post by nomoregmo

Why? There are no laws making it illegal to do so. Even so....there is no excuse for police losing their cool because someone cusses at them. Sure...I know....they are just human....but they MUST be held to a higher standard.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I am not really too sure what I am seeing here, there is obviously part of the story missing.

Did the bus driver call the police because he did not produce a ticket?

This may, or may not be harassment.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

jhn7537

bigfatfurrytexan

jhn7537

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

"Ami I being arrested?"

"Am I free to go?"

I agree, and I wish I lived in an area where I could just walk away... Here in Chicago you don't even think twice to even talk back to an officer (calmly) or he is putting you down and hard.. I've seen it way too many times... Just guys on ridiculous power trips.

Don't live in Chicago and don wanna.

Bear in mind (I try to, hard as that is at times) that police see the absolute worst that humanity has to offer, and quite frequently.

That being said, as I stated in another post, I wonder how the police got involved seeing as how there would be no reason whatsoever to just pull a guy off the bus to harass. I am thinking the bus driver must have called them.

He said he had a ticket but yet never produced one, that I could see.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Im not sure if its an emotional break down, more of a justified response to being wrongfully targeted for whatever reason.
That cop in the subway was acting like a punk a$$ school kid throwing a tantrum and we are supposed to trust these kinds of people to protect us when they cant even act like adults, just makes me sick.

edit on 2407u2 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Next thing, they do this because you parked on wrong spot.
Hey, tell it to the judge.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I hate the arrogant, ignorant bullying tactics of police like this.
He asked clearly if he was under arrest, why they were holding him and could he go and they just ignored him, provoked him and were totally unprofessional.
They could see he was distressed yet they dont try and calm him, just annoy him further
edit on 24-2-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Not sure why this thread is in general chit chat & off topic.
Should be ATS

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Well I am not going to jump on the police bashing bandwagon without having all the information. I was able to find this though.

pix11.com...

It looks like the person who took the video hinted towards the man not having a ticket.

If he didn't buy a ticket, and got on the bus that would be a crime. It is called theft of services where I am from. If the police truly had a reason to detain him then he would be guilty of resisting without violence for his actions.

Technically speaking the officers don't have to specifically say, word for word, "you are not free to leave." Telling him to sit down or stay is the equivalent. However, I know some people need things plainly laid out in front of them, so I would of told the man he was not free to leave.

On that note, maybe the bus drive confronted him before the video about not having a ticket. So he possibly already knew why the police were there before the person started filming. Or maybe the officers told him that he was not free to leave before the video began. We just simply don't have that information.

What it looks like to me is the guy knew he was caught, saw the person filming, and played it up to the camera.

Of course I wasn't there either so I don't know.

edit on 25-2-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: grammar, changed text

top topics

join