It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic Ring Mishap Maybe Intentional? Hidden Message?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's Sesame Street sans Big Bird.

Close.
I think wikipedia is more like a photo of Sesame Street taken with a camera that has a thick coating of vaseline on the lens.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

I need to edit this so that it doesn't come off as a rant, as it has when I originally posted it. I am posting this only to show where my motivation came from for the OP and to try and clear the air a bit without trying to sound harsh in any way. If it does come off as such, I am sorry.

I think it's important, though I don't follow my own advice, to step away and come back with another perspective sometimes so there are no harsh words or feelings. I have to understand that the forums here are for people all over the world and not as local as we might sometimes think.

To make sure that my point is taken as I mentioned it, I would like to put this bit of info out there.

finitedualities:

I know what the colors ORIGINALLY stand for. This is the information that I based my post on:

The current view of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) - THE CURRENT VIEW

is

the Olympic symbol represents the union of the five regions of the world and the meeting of athletes from throughout the world at the Olympic Games. However, no continent is represented by any specific ring.

BUT...

"Prior to 1951, the official handbook stated that each color corresponded to a particular continent: blue for Europe, yellow for Asia, black for Africa, green for Australia and Oceania and red for the Americas"

And...

"this was removed because there was no evidence that Coubertin had intended it (the quote above was probably an afterthought)."

My point was, what if someone in Russia used this information, since it was once thought of as being such, to symbolize something, whether it be a joke or a sign. Obviously today it still stands to reason that it might be accepted by many as there are sources that show and state that each ring belongs to a continent, EVEN though the facts show that this is not the case as it's supposed to represent colors in multinational flags. My point is also that it may be done this way to not draw OBVIOUS attention to a possible inside joke as well.

I still get that it might be totally based on the first screwup and that it may have not been originally intentional! It's an interesting observation. Nothing less. My OP said nothing to hint otherwise.

Finally. It had NOTHING to do with western media as you had stated. It had everything to do with my observation of a curious fact. Most importantly, my own work, as mental as I may be, and not anyone elses opinion.

khimbar:

I said nothing about it always being about america. I made mention that it was the AMERICAS. NOT North America, the USA or anything of the sort. The image provided the proof as well as my words of what I was getting at.

Rabbit:

The same information is on that WIKI site and was also quoted here by Khimbar from it. Though, I do understand where you're coming from about Wiki and papers. I went through the same in college. I just want to mention that the information is correct and valid for this discussion. It shows that some believe that the rings stand for countries and not just flags.

Overall:

My post is based upon only the information I provided and nothing more. No other information is needed because, even though there are other real facts, it still does nothing to prove or debunk the idea stated in the OP.

Finally... It's a conspiracy forum. I made a conspiracy, also in jest. ...and it apparently wasn't taken well from the start, or at least not how I meant it to be. If there is any confusion, I hope I was able to clear it up in this post.

Rabbit, thanks again for the fresh air I needed. I appreciate your level headedness in all of this. I needed you to rub off on me a bit.. perhaps that lucky paw came in to play. It's a magical thing indeed!

Thank you all for the read.

edit on 24-2-2014 by StallionDuck because: Needed to be changed

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I cant believe that no one knows anything about the olympic flag.....

Each ring does not represent any country... The 5 rings of colours and the white background of the Olympic flag REPRESENT every colour of every flag that competed in the first world olympics. They do not represent whole nations as it is a symbol of unity.

You guys must do more then 5 mins research on google.

I cant believe I have not heard anyone say that on any thread about this subject. I stayed quiet about it till now.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

So what do you guys think? Coincidence? Harmless fun? Or... DOOOOOOM!

What type of doom?
Russia has very good relations with South American countries like Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia, etc, and also gets along very well with Canada. Our Prime Minister Harper even gets along with Putin far better than Obama.

The US is the only country in the Americas that Russia has a problem with.
The cold war never seemed to warm up

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

Please goto the Wiki link provided. That information is there. There is another part of that as well, as I have provided. The post was based on a specific part of the information provided. It is already known and has been stated that the rings are flag related. I have also mentioned it in a previous post.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I found it interesting and kind of ironic that the closing, with the ring that 'could' be considered the americas, appeared to resemble an exploding nuke. With the tensions Russia has with the US, I can't say that there isn't a bit of irony there, whether it's intentional or not.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

I cant believe that no one knows anything about the olympic flag

What possible reason would the average person have to know the history of the Olympic flag? I know dozens of people, including myself, who have never watched more than a couple of snippets of the Olympics...not everyone is interested in it or has the time and inclination to watch it.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I enjoyed the thread, I just think some of the comments made are uneducated or based of here say.

I personally didnt think the last ring looked like a mushroom cloud, I think you were streching.
I do agree with you that the russians wanted to show that they are people too (seeing as though the whole world knew about the openning ceremony mistake) and have a sense of humour too.

Personally I think some people try too hard to come up with conspiracies. It was a good thread that had good information and a good read, Thank you.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tigertatzen

It is something that is tought in schools where I grew up and it is all over the internet if you put some time into looking for the truth.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

The only way to know about anything in this world is if you YOURSELF look into things instead of reading peoples comments or threads (im not cutting down this thread as the OP has the right information in it) There is alot of half truths and personal beliefs on this site. If you dont put the time in to learn out side of ats and just go by threads and comments then it makes this site no better then MSM. (im not dissing the site mods im just trying to make a point I love ATS)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

(im not dissing the site mods im just trying to make a point I love ATS)

Heck.. What would there be for disrespect? lol... It's a 100% user contributed site, so we're all simply giving our best and genuine understanding of the facts as we know them....then readers get to take all the different versions of facts and figure out themselves, who has a habit or being credible vs. who doesn't and what is true regardless of who says it, eh?

It's what makes it so much fun!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Wiki isn't something I use or respect for anything, anywhere, ever. In fact...at the college, using Wiki as a source on anything at all is an immediate and no questions asked...FAIL. Period. You could write with the skills and talent of Stephen King...and if you sourced something to Wiki, you'll take an F and deal with it. Why? Wiki can be whatever other people want it to be. Nothing is checked, verified or vetted.

I had a really good chuckle at the fact that you cited an author of fictional novels in your explanation of why you dislike Wiki as a source for factual information. I don't know if you meant that as a deliberate irony, but it was hilarious just the same.

I agree that Wiki is typically the encyclopedic version of a tabloid, but if it states the exact same information as other external sources it should really make no difference. I will use it sometimes for that reason if I'm in a hurry...the exact same info with verifiable sources on the same page saves time.

I really did not see anything other than a playful theory afoot in the OP...something different and fun to ponder and discuss. I think Russia was simply making a joke at their own expense, but it's always entertaining to explore other possibilities because really, we never do know do we?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The only way to know about anything in this world is if you YOURSELF look into things instead of reading peoples comments or threads
reply to post by snypwsd

True enough, but you appeared to be expressing disbelief that some people don't know anything about the Olympic flag...so I questioned your statement. As far as the merits of reading people's threads, I'm not sure how to take that...what is the point of visiting a discussion forum if you don't gain any insight from it? Anyone can go read an article and gain knowledge from that. But by discussing things we also gain knowledge about other people's viewpoint on issues and sometimes even change our own view of things based on what we have learned from others and the insights they have to offer. Plus, it's far more fun than just sitting there reading, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by snypwsd

(im not dissing the site mods im just trying to make a point I love ATS)

Heck.. What would there be for disrespect? lol... It's a 100% user contributed site, so we're all simply giving our best and genuine understanding of the facts as we know them....then readers get to take all the different versions of facts and figure out themselves, who has a habit or being credible vs. who doesn't and what is true regardless of who says it, eh?

It's what makes it so much fun!

The reason why I said that is usually if I mention or link ats to anything good or bad my comments get deleted. I just wanted to Illiterate the fact that I wasnt bashing the site so I could keep my comment.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I'm laughing as I reply, because I just knew someone would call me on my choice of authors for an example.

Just an FYI... Nonfiction Works - A to Z:

He has done a couple. I personally recommend 'Memoir of the Craft' and GUNS. I don't agree with him much in GUNS, but he raises interesting points to consider in the whole debate, anyway.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Yes I could of worded it better I agree, reading it now, I did come off as an ass. I appolozise.

I just get annoyed at the fact that SOME people not ALL people, get caught up in the half truths of any subject.

I agree that reading the comments is the fun part of this. I just wish that some people would look into things a little more, you know?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

'Danse Macabre' is also a fantastic read.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I'm laughing as I reply, because I just knew someone would call me on my choice of authors for an example. Just an FYI... Nonfiction Works - A to Z: He has done a couple. I personally recommend 'Memoir of the Craft' and GUNS. I don't agree with him much in GUNS, but he raises interesting points to consider in the whole debate, anyway.

Hahahahahaaa...excellent
Yes, he is my favorite author of all time and the only thing i have not read is GUNS. I am still giggling about your choice periodically throughout my morning...thank you for that, I really needed the humor in my life today
I almost aspirated my coffee when I first read what you wrote. Seriously awesome

To the OP: I will be the first one to admit I do not take interest at all in the Olympics, and know absolutely zilch about it, but I did find your post to be entertaining so thank you for that as well.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

I do know what you mean...this thread was not meant as a serious, intense debate so it could kind of go either way, but I find myself cringing at some of the comments people post on other threads; passing off opinion as "fact", not bothering to read up on the subject before attacking others, etc. Sometimes I swear people are typing with their foreheads too, they make so little sense...and it's hard to tell if they actually believe what they're saying or are just unable to string an intelligible paragraph together. I feel you, I really do.

I just saw your post about being taught the history of the Olympics in school...we were not given much more than a general overview where I went to school. Maybe if we had been I would have found the whole thing to be more interesting.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

tigertatzen
reply to post by snypwsd

I cant believe that no one knows anything about the olympic flag

What possible reason would the average person have to know the history of the Olympic flag? I know dozens of people, including myself, who have never watched more than a couple of snippets of the Olympics...not everyone is interested in it or has the time and inclination to watch it.

Wow, that was rather snippy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join