It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker-Schorr beer review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   

My not so professional review:

Hacker Schoor has got to be my absolute FAVORITE beer...

As I was on a quest for a little culture in my life one night, the bartender told me about this Weiss (German for "wheat") beer named "Hacker Schorr"
she said it's a bit grainy(Grainy because it's a classic beer) but well worth it.

What the hell, sold!

So i'm sitting there drinking and usually when I drink beer i'm burping right after, the taste it a bit stronger and it's filling (i'm referring to domestics namely)..

But this! oh this beer, I could of peed my pants it was that good...

It had a sweet taste to it, a hint of citrus/orange perhaps??
It was crisp and clean, it also had a very nice aroma (which is where I get the cirtus backdrop from perhaps) Very tasty.

(Below's review is copied and pasted info..Link below: Someone's "rating" on it)

About Hack-Pschorr

The Hacker-Pschorr brewery was founded in 1417 by George Pschorr. Herr Schorr is reputedly the authenticator of the traditional Bavarian Weiss Bier brewing style. Whether or not this is true, the brewery has certainly been making Weisse beer for hundreds of years.

Hacker-Pschorr Weiss is a light bodied beer, typical of the style. The alcohol content is 5.7% by volume, 4.5% by weight. It is lagered for six weeks, a relatively short time but fitting for the style. It is available in the US in 12 ounce bottles, and on draft.

The Nose

Upon opening a bottle of the weiss, I noticed immediately the aroma of the yeast and the malt. These are characteristics of a good weiss. There is also noticable wheat aroma, which a first-time weiss drinker will have no reference for, but will immediately recognize the next time he or she has one.

The Pour

I love the pour of the Hacker-Pschorr wheats. They have a thick, creamy head which leaves lovely rings around the glass as the beer is drunk. I have seen this beer reviewed where the reviewer said there was not much head, but this is not the case, at least with my six-pack. The head would befit a nice stout. The same reviewer said that this brew was not cloudy (desirable in a weiss), but I was not able to see through my glass. I have seen cloudier weiss beers than this one, but it was not crystal clear. I have no complaints about the nose, pour, or appearance of this beer.

The Flavor

This beer tastes just like it smells! It could be the dictionary entry for "weiss beer". The yeast, malt, and wheat flavors are perfect. The beer is also slightly sweet, but not in the typical way. It's almost as if you are tasting the refining sugars, and probably is. It is long on finish for a light beer, I finished mine a few minutes ago and can still taste it. This beer tastes like a field of freshly cut grass in the summer!

Conclusion

Hacker-Pschorr Weiss is a very good example of a German Weiss. I would not say that it is the best in the world, but it is definitely up there. It is recommended, and I would certainly purchase more. It is also very nice on tap. Many reviews list its price as a con, but I can buy a six-pack of twelve ounce bottles at the Sam's Club liquor store for $5.99. They also have the dark weiss there too, which I purchased as well. However, I would not pay the $20 a six pack that other reviewers are listing. I am not above paying that kind of money, but I do not think that this beer is in that category. I would probably go up to about $9.99 or so. Overall, a nice beer if you can get it, but don't spend $20 for a six pack.

Recommended
Yes

Beer Name: Hacker-Pschorr Weiss Beer
Price per six-pack ($US): 5.99
Beer Rating: Better than most
Rating

Looks like she recommended me a goodie! And so I pass the recommendations along...
TRY IT! You will be spellbound...

Ok maybe not that dramatic but it is truly is a wonderful beer

ps: when she poured the beer she put the nose straight into the bottom of the glass, as she poured she lifts the bottle up to where the beer height is at, they continue on till the glass is full, this way you keep the grain at the bottom of the beer bottle...

Nicely done... Gotta try it.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

What it does

The Weizen Glass

Nothing beats serving your Weizenbier (wheat beer) in an authentic Bavarian Weizen Glass. These classy glasses, with their thin walls and length, showcase the beer's color and allows for much headspace to contain the fluffy, sexy heads association with the style. Most are 0.5L in size, with slight variations in sizes. Forget the lemon garnish, the citric will kill the head.

Benefits: Specifically produced to take on volume and head, while locking in the banana-like and phenol aromas associated with the style.

Find out more about glasses and their uses go here!

[Edited on 23-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Ah! Beer. I'm partial to stouts, but I'm always willing to try something new. After that review I might have to take a half day and find some.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katolu
Ah! Beer. I'm partial to stouts, but I'm always willing to try something new. After that review I might have to take a half day and find some.

Bring some diaper's you just might pee your pants! kidding. Good luck!

If you go to a pub they usually carry it. That site with the glasses has a search field so you can find places anywhere in the world that would have "specialty beers"

Good luck and let me know how it went!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I'll have to try that if I see it...

A nearby liquor store...Well...hell...they're all nearby when they need to be
....received a shipment of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (Indian Pale Ale)....

At $9 per 12 fl oz bottle (Or...a $54 six-pack), this stuff is liquid gold...literally! It's 21% alcohol!! But the flavor is incredible! A thick, sweet, golden, foamy brew with a VERY very hoppy flavor...Awesome stuff!

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
www.hacker-pschorr.de...

click on the Spezialitaten, in the bottom left hand corner, with two beer bottles, cool sound effects. makes you thirsty.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
True Lies... You are correct!!! 100%

Best Beer ever

If you're ever out near Colorado... try some beers from New Belgium Brewing company

www.newbelgium.com...

I suggest the Fat Tire with an orange slice... or the Sunshine Wheat straight up... 1554 is also tasty:w:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
True Lies... You are correct!!! 100%

Best Beer ever

If you're ever out near Colorado... try some beers from New Belgium Brewing company

www.newbelgium.com...

I suggest the Fat Tire with an orange slice... or the Sunshine Wheat straight up... 1554 is also tasty:w:

I'll have to try that too... Will be going to Colorado in a year or two to do some skiing... Can I get this beer at a specialty store? I got my weizen glasses now so i'd like to get a little fancy at home!

ps: thanks for the compliment

[Edited on 29-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The good about the "Weiss Bier" or "Weizen" is that it is natural brewed so no chemicals in there. I was born in bavaria and there is a saying that a "Wheet Beer" is equal to a meal.
I have had all sorts of Wheet Beer in my German Days. Now living in OZ we have only 2 Wheet Beer choices from Germany: Erdinger and Schoffenhofer Wheet Beer and this for a Price off $10 a bottle but it is worth it Unfortunaly no Hacker-Schorr here

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If you're into wheat beers, I recommend...Hoegaarden (Belgian), and Schnieder Weiss (German).

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueLies

Spaten Optimator is pretty good.

I haven't had Hacker Schorr (Dark), since the 1980's. Where can i get some?

Contact me: [email protected]

dunka

new topics

top topics

join