It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roundup Weedkiller Found In 75% of Air and Rain Samples, Government Study Finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The U.S. Geological Survey has a study/survey that seems to indicate measurable amounts of glyphosate and a byproduct are in the air and rain in the "test" area.

Apparently they have found an 18% increase from 1995 to 2007.

Perhaps alarming, but I don't know the technicalities or danger levels or effects.

The GM farming system has made exposure to Roundup herbicide a daily fact of our existence, and according to the latest US Geological Survey study its probably in the air you are breathing...

A new study from the U.S. Geological Survey, accepted for publication online ahead of print in the journal Enviromental Toxicology and Chemistry, titled, "Pesticides in Mississippi air and rain: A comparison between 1995 and 2007," reveals that Roundup herbicide (aka glyphosate) and its still-toxic degradation byproduct AMPA were found in over 75% of the air and rain samples tested from Mississippi in 2007.

The researchers evaluated a wide range of pesticides currently being used through weekly composite air and rain sampling collected during the 1995 and 2007 growing seasons in the Mississippi Delta agricultural region.

Roundup Weedkiller Found In 75% of Air and Rain Samples, Gov. Study Finds

edit on Feb-22-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

This toxin is traveling via air and rain? We are in real dire trouble.

It has been well documented that Round Up is decimating everything
from The Barrier Reef to the Birds, Bats, and Bees...not to mention
its toxic effect on humans. One could say that Monsanto is a dirty
word in all ecosystems.

www.abcbirds.org...
naturalsociety.com...
naturalsociety.com...

S&F

edit on 22-2-2014 by burntheships because: S&F

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
i hate monsanto but it should be pointed out that glycosphate is not just a monsanto product....the active ingredient in roundup is glycosphate but there are many other herbicide products on the market that contain glycosphate....it is awful stuff but it is cheap and effective....

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Who needs Chemtrails when you have Roundup? Seriously. Everyone fights about whether they are real or not... when you have something just as bad wafting through the air and floating in the water anyway.

We are going to wind up evolving into some kind of monstrosity hundreds of years from now that may make Chernobyl look like Candy Land if stuff like this continues IMO. How could it not affect us in a negative way in the long term if we do somehow manage to survive that long? Who needs to kill the creepy, creepy crawlers bad enough to turn us all into human creepy crawlers down the road. Disgusting.

edit on 2/23/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Decreased overall pesticide use in 2007 relative to 1995 generally resulted in decreased detection frequencies in air and rain, but observed concentration ranges were similar between years even though the 1995 sampling site was 500 m from active fields while the 2007 sampling site was within 3 m of a field. Mean concentration of detections were sometimes greater in 2007 than in 1995 but the median values were often lower.

So let's see. There was less overall pesticide detection in 2007 compared to 1995 because there was less pesticide use. Makes sense.

Even though the testing sites in 2007 were much closer to active fields than those in 1995 the concentrations were about the same. That's interesting. Seems to indicate lower levels of application.

The mean concentration of detections were often lower in 2007 than they were in 1995.

But for some reason the detection of glyphosate is worse than the reduced detection of all those other pesticides? There was more than 4.5 times less methyl parathion found in 2007 as compared to 1995. That's bad?

Methyl parathion is one of the most toxic organophosphate pesticides.

www.epa.gov...

I like this bit from the article (not the study):

So, what is the toxicological significance of the discovery of glyphosate in most air samples tested? In the month of August, 2007, if you were breathing in the sampled air you would be inhaling approximately 2.5 nanograms of glyphosate per cubic meter of air. It has been estimated the average adult inhales approximately 388 cubic feet or 11 cubic meters of air per day, which would equal to 27.5 nanograms (billionths of a gram) of glyphosate a day.

Yeah. Maybe. If you were camping within 3 meters of an active field for 24 hours a day.

edit on 2/23/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Aha. So that's why collecting rain water is illegal.

But no seriously. Anything we do to this planet is bad for it. It is like all of those books you'd hear people referring to when it comes to the end of the world and what our answer would be. To search for another planet to wreck for another X amount of years before we move to another one. Maybe that is why we get visited by aliens a lot because they already know our future. Maybe they are warning us with those crop circles. Or maybe they just don't have an answer themselves and are checking up on us to see if we ever come up with a better answer than just moving to another planet.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
SO THATS why they are spraying out of the planes, global anti marijuana campain

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

no its just spray the other guys fields

Earlier this year, Riceland Foods, the largest rice cooperative in the U.S. won its lawsuit against the Bayer Corporation after its natural long-grain rice was contaminated with Bayer's unapproved genetically engineered rice. Thousands of similar lawsuits have been filed.

Canadian canola farmer, Percy Schmeiser, was sued by Monsanto for patent infringement in 1998, after his fields were found to contain Monsanto’s patented GM canola. But rather than accepting Monsanto’s bullying ways, he decided to fight back—and won. In March 2008, Monsanto agreed to pay for cleanup costs. Since then, Schmeiser’s fight for farmer’s rights has been featured in a documentary film, “David versus Monsanto.”

Other recent cases of contamination of conventional and organic crops with GM varieties include maize in Ireland and Spain, and corn in Germany.
articles.mercola.com...

thats the real contamination
edit on 23-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
i hate monsanto but it should be pointed out that glycosphate is not just a monsanto product....the active ingredient in roundup is glycosphate but there are many other herbicide products on the market that contain glycosphate....it is awful stuff but it is cheap and effective....

Misery causing Monsanto IS the company that developed that patented glyphosate. Their chemist, John E. Franz is the person who engineered the toxin while working for Misery causing Monsanto.
SNF

xuenchen, I forgot that I had already flagged you, when I went to flag you after my post, it took away the flag

edit on V212014Sundayam28America/ChicagoSun, 23 Feb 2014 06:21:51 -06001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

Ahh, got it back

edit on V242014Sundayam28America/ChicagoSun, 23 Feb 2014 06:24:31 -06001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Consdering the article goes on to say that glysophates in the parts per trillion increase the risk of cancer I' m sure you will have no problems feeding the women in your life a steady diet of GM soybeans. Or did you wilfully ignore the link supplied in the article?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
They are really trying to kill us all, how can we languish in cognitive dissonance any longer?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What I don't understand is how a government agency was allowed to conduct a study which was detrimental to one of their corporate masters?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Monsanto created Agent Orange, so why is everyone so surprised? It's not like we really care about our planet.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Good thing it's harmless eh? /sarcasm

...There's a term for the way contaminants go into the air, get blown by the wind, seed raindrops and leapfrog around the world. Can't remember it though. Anyone?

F&S&

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If we're breathing and drinking this stuff, so are the Monsanto people (unless they have their own separate ecosystem supplying them with different air and rain to us). So they're poisoning themselves and their own families besides us?

As much as I hate Monsanto and its unwanted GM meddling, deliberately poisoning every living thing on the planet just doesn't make sense to me. What would be the point of it?
edit on 23-2-2014 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
"oldest needs braces, youngest needs a tricycle, and chemo...my autistic kid needs everything..."
- a fictitious monsanto middle manager...with a degree

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
You know OP, this scares me at the moment, actually. My wife and I were talking last night and we realized...almost everyone we know is dealing with something very similar to acute late onset diabetes, but with additional complications. We sat for quite a bit of time, seriously, working this out last night as I started experiencing it while on the truck. Within a few years of being off the truck now? My numbers are normal again. The nerve damage in feet and elsewhere is forever...but her and those we know are ongoing.

One..and only one. Seriously.. ONE difference we could come up with of measurable note between myself in a relatively closed environment of the trucking world vs now and her with others... Produce. That's the ONLY thing that's different. Her and others eat it by the bushel, and I never have. I actually avoid it and almost always have. I was exposed to it...hell, living in it, as a produce trucker for years and maybe whatever that put me in contact with is what gave me a glancing hit which has faded with time ..but her and everyone else ingesting it, if that's the source of toxins..are on a fast path to worse. Almost visible sometimes for the slide down.

Not sure if it's related or not..but the timing of your OP to overlap in the toxins spread all over our food "for our benefit" was hard to miss for adding these thoughts to it.

top topics

join