It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No radiation in fish tested: Health Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
No radiation in fish tested: Health Canada
www.coastreporter.net...

Health Canada is citing two separate series of radiation tests on B.C. fish — along with ongoing ocean monitoring — as reasons why regular domestic seafood testing is not warranted in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear accident.

“What we’ve seen so far presents no health risk,”

“If increased radiation is found in the waters in 2014 or 2015, then more testing would be done, as needed. We know there’s going to be radiation from Fukushima for years to come. The testing will never stop.”

Upton said Health Canada scientists tested 28 fish samples provided last year by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and no radiation from Fukushima was detected in any of the specimens.

While the testing was not part of a formal research study, and was described by Health Canada as an ad hoc technical exercise

“It was done post-Fukushima and partly because there was a hypothesis that radiation from Fukushima was making its way to the West Coast and West Coast fish,” Upton said.

More analysis will be done on the same fish in the spring and “there are plans to share the results publicly in the near future in a small technical note.”.

Foundation executive director Lorne Clayton said last year’s sub-sample was caught randomly off the B.C. coast in August and sent to the Saskatchewan Research Council’s analytical laboratories in Saskatoon, with the results showing “no residues detected at the lowest detection limits achievable for gamma spectroscopy.”

“In both cases, estimates of peak levels of cesium-137 on Canada’s west coast are far below Health Canada’s guidelines for radiation in drinking water and in food.”

...radiation levels from Fukushima “are very low and any current contamination in water or in fish off the West Coast is far below” the same guidelines.

Apart from testing and monitoring DFO data, Health Canada cited findings by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and “reputable organizations” such as the International Atomic Energy Agency and Japan’s Nuclear Regulation Authority.

Earlier this month, Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs joined other First Nation leaders in calling for Ottawa to start conducting regular testing of domestic Pacific seafood.

Other related threads:
Canada Has Not Measured Radiation Levels Since 2012: BC First Nations call for radiation tests NOW!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There are extra details in the article but I wanted to highlight some of the important parts cited within it.

The one thing that bothers me is they are using fish caught in 2013. They are not making these results public immediately, which bothers me as we taxpayers deserve to know the truth and read about it.

For Health Canada to determine what is public and isn't and what is safe or not safe for us makes me really worried because they work closely with high level government officials. And because these officials are communicating with health officials in Japan in the tracking of the radiation you know for sure there will be a lot of lies spewed onto us.

Furthermore, the article said that if there is an update there will be a very small note made public....WHEN AND WHERE?!?!? There should be a thorough research made to public...I deserve to know everything and tired of having knowledge researched by others shoved down my throat.

I am sure that low radiation levels are here. Sure California has radioactive kelp. But since I don't eat seafood anymore since the disaster, you can best be certain that I will continue to observe the critical news events related to this disaster throughout the years. I just hope others wake up too.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

The Government 'testing' is a lot like Tepco's reporting - too little to late and covered in whitewash. Considering the government has a department of oceans and fisheries it would be exceptionally easy to randomly test fish consistently - what does it cost to pull out a fish here and there and test for radiation? Nothing because they're out there anyway. Even if they found radiated fish I doubt they'd report it - they have a long history of lying too... They have billions in budgets and can't spare a few thousand to get some testing equipment... yeah.... I feel real safe. They're all in the cover-up together - the only way we'll get any real answers if for independent people to somehow get a hold of quality testing equipment and do it themselves....

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I am sure that low radiation levels are here. Sure California has radioactive kelp.

And you link to a thread about a crowd sourced monitoring program which says this isn't the case. Why are you sure?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

I don't think it is the equipment that is the issue...but I think the fact that they used "random" testing is the problem. I the data are skewed. If they caught a fish with radiation they tossed it back into the ocean and kept the "clean" ones to bring back to do data analysis on it.

You know there are cover ups happening everywhere. Problem is they are using specific fish in the ocean that are local here. They should be testing the whales and fish that migrate back and forth in the

I posted these pictures in a thread that was made or I made but I couldn't find it...I was describing the migration patterns of specific whales...I just hope that my post was not removed or anything like that. But you can see that this year will be critical for testing of ALL ocean wildlife...no matter how much it costs to do...better than sending millions of dollars to Haiti for nothing.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Phage

I am sure that low radiation levels are here. Sure California has radioactive kelp.

And you link to a thread about a crowd sourced monitoring program which says this isn't the case. Why are you sure?

I think the public are going out to the oceans to do the testing themselves as they do not belief their government anymore. So much is kept hidden from the public and we are being lied to all levels.

Phage, do you believe EVERYTHING the government tells you? Are you munching on seafood just the same as before the Fuku disaster?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

If the authorities had a better record of telling the truth; I might find this comforting but sadly they don't.

www.foxnews.mobi...

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
just like the uncontaminated fish from the gulf of mexico after the deep water horizon incident:
they passed the sniff test and so are safe to eat.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

They should be testing the whales and fish that migrate back and forth

Not sure what which whales migrate from Japan to the eastern Pacific or if they eat stuff that might be contaminated but bluefin tuna do migrate and have been found with low levels of cesium.
www.pnas.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I think the public are going out to the oceans to do the testing themselves as they do not belief their government anymore.
This is not the government. This is not the government saying that Fukushima contamination has not yet reached California.

Despite concerns, there is no U.S. government agency monitoring the spread of low levels of radiation from Fukushima along the West Coast and around the Hawaiian Islands—even though levels are expected to rise over coming years.

ourradioactiveocean.org...

Phage, do you believe EVERYTHING the government tells you?
No.

Are you munching on seafood just the same as before the Fuku disaster?
Yes. But then, I've never eaten seafood from the Fukushima region.

You didn't say why you are "sure."
edit on 2/22/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I believe this is just their damage control because consumers are avoiding pacific seafood now,and the fisheries are suffering. Always follow the money. They care not for our health,only protecting one of their biggest industries. It won't be till the boats are hauling in nets full of two headed,tumor ridden salmon that they can't sell,that they will finally admit a problem.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Phage

They should be testing the whales and fish that migrate back and forth

Not sure what which whales migrate from Japan to the eastern Pacific or if they eat stuff that might be contaminated but bluefin tuna do migrate and have been found with low levels of cesium.
www.pnas.org...

Found the link to my post here:
Scientists Discover Conjoined Gray Whale Calves Dying Near West Coast
This was related to the Conjoined Gray Whale found near Mexico coast.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Phage

I have no reason not to be sure...but I am minimizing any risk no matter what. And since I don't have any radioactive testing kits, there are others in the community that do and are engaged to do research that the government isn't doing enough.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
There is a lot of money and power at stake over this nuclear safety issues
There are over a hundred nuclear reactors in the states and around twenty are GE similar to Tepco...some I think in the US are even run by Tepco

IF there was a problem, I see a very bad potential for a financial and political meltdown

I have a familly member who was a nuclear engineer in the saftey field..
He recently pulled his RIP cord...
He said some scary things before he did that.

as certain as radioactive decay...

In this lesson we'll introduce the three most important kinds of nuclear radiation: alpha, beta and gamma. We’ll see how their different properties affect what they can be used for and in what ways they may be harmful...

....When radioactive dust lands on something we say that thing has been ‘contaminated’. Contamination is about the stuff that’s emitting the radiation, like dust or water. Contamination can be a risk over long distances...
...It's is much harder to keep your distance if the beta emitter is a dust or carried in water so it can spread throughout the environment. Again, beta radiation is most dangerous if you breath in or swallow a substance that emits beta radiation. Remember it’s the radioactive substance that gets breathed in. You can’t breath in ‘radiation’.

www.furryelephant.com...

edit on 22-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Skywatcher2011
Found the link to my post here:
Scientists Discover Conjoined Gray Whale Calves Dying Near West Coast
This was related to the Conjoined Gray Whale found near Mexico coast.

We have historical records of conjoined humans going back to 300CE.

Should those be attributed to nuclear radiation leaks as well?

For the record, my consumption of Pacific seafood hasn't changed since prior to the incident. Almost all is local caught along BC coast (the exception being tuna), and I have no ill effects, nor do I trip any geiger counters.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I have no reason not to be sure
Trying to sort through that double negative.
You said you were sure that contamination had reached the west coast. Why are you sure?

And since I don't have any radioactive testing kits, there are others in the community that do and are engaged to do research that the government isn't doing enough.
Yes. They are. But it is a bit more involved than "testing kits". I have no reason to trust the results of amateurs with "testing kits" or Geiger counters.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm not scientist, so I am not allowed to have an opinion that matters but I'll rant anyway.

This testing is for last year of "some" fish. There is still at least 40 years more of radiation hell coming the pacific. Or maybe not as TEPCO is under no legal, or moral obligation to state any facts in the matter. I'll say that again, TEPCO is under no, zero, none, no legal or moral obligation to be either truthful or factual on the matter.

But... If I were a PR person, and I have known more then most, I would say this: "Canada scientists, health officials and concerned politicians have tested fish from the pacific for nuclear radiation from Fukashima and have found no detectable traces. We feel the fish is safe to eat." BTW, I'd say this even if I found plutonium in Tuna headed for the local sushi bar.

Then I'd have the science class simply hammer on this "study" to prove there is no issue. I'd be careful to never say there will never be an issue, but this will be assumed via the PR campaign because one study said there was no issue.

Then any one who insists that testing from 2013 isn't enough I will have the scientist use the old "deconstructionist" method to ridicule everything out of their mouths, even if it is as stupid as saying " they misspelled radiation using two "a's" so how can you believe this guy. I will make sure the scientists never, ever, touch the moral problem, the consciousness problem or anything other then sticking to computer data and personal attacks on naysayer.

If all else fails I'll simply change the metrics on the people. I'll say there are more fish, less water, or more water and less fish, or that people don't eat those fish, or that, only good radiation makes it to the fish.

When you know PR people, you'll know the are the lowest form of human on the planet, when you know scientists who rely on corporations and universities you'll know they are more then willing to whore themselves out to anyone who will pay in order to become a PR person for their employer.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Phage

I have no reason not to be sure
Trying to sort through that double negative.
You said you were sure that contamination had reached the west coast. Why are you sure?

And since I don't have any radioactive testing kits, there are others in the community that do and are engaged to do research that the government isn't doing enough.
Yes. They are. But it is a bit more involved than "testing kits". I have no reason to trust the results of amateurs with "testing kits" or Geiger counters.

The the following was documented in 2011...my question is why would the Federal Government remove 9 monitoring stations in BC and Yukon...the closest stations to the wave of radiation coming from Japan...ie. the first line of detection? Doesn't this strike some questions why they would do this and keep monitoring stations going in other provinces?

Radiation that came from Japan stayed here in BC...so that is the base data needed for further testing. I am not saying that more radiation is here than ever before, but what I am saying is I am sure the radiation made its way here and more will be to come.

You can be on the fence all you want, but don't go on badgering me if I am sure it is here or not...the proof is in the print and in the pudding, the quantity of radiation that is here on a daily basis I am not sure of because I am not a scientific investigator with all the experimental doodads that the government has. Why don't you go out and prove me wrong?

Health Canada's Radiation Monitoring Data
www.hc-sc.gc.ca...

...on Thursday, August 11, 2011 Health Canada removed nine supplementary fixed point detectors that were installed in British Columbia and the Yukon in response to the Fukushima nuclear incident. In addition, on September 15, 2011, Health Canada will end its weekly data postings...

Measurements from these networks have confirmed that the quantities of radioactive materials that reached Canada as a result of the Japanese nuclear incident were very small... The very slight increases in radiation across the country, observed during the first few weeks following the onset of the incident, were smaller than the normal day to day fluctuations from background radiation.

edit on 22-2-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Phage
But it is a bit more involved than "testing kits". I have no reason to trust the results of amateurs with "testing kits" or Geiger counters.

And those that truly want to deny ignorance shouldn't believe authorities with "testing kits" because their agenda isn't protecting the populace. Their alligence is first and foremost to the corporations.

I hold as evidence the BP debacle.

billmoyers.com...
edit on 22-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

crankyoldman
I'm not scientist, so I am not allowed to have an opinion that matters but I'll rant anyway.

This testing is for last year of "some" fish. There is still at least 40 years more of radiation hell coming the pacific. Or maybe not as TEPCO is under no legal, or moral obligation to state any facts in the matter. I'll say that again, TEPCO is under no, zero, none, no legal or moral obligation to be either truthful or factual on the matter.

But... If I were a PR person, and I have known more then most, I would say this: "Canada scientists, health officials and concerned politicians have tested fish from the pacific for nuclear radiation from Fukashima and have found no detectable traces. We feel the fish is safe to eat." BTW, I'd say this even if I found plutonium in Tuna headed for the local sushi bar.

Then I'd have the science class simply hammer on this "study" to prove there is no issue. I'd be careful to never say there will never be an issue, but this will be assumed via the PR campaign because one study said there was no issue.

Then any one who insists that testing from 2013 isn't enough I will have the scientist use the old "deconstructionist" method to ridicule everything out of their mouths, even if it is as stupid as saying " they misspelled radiation using two "a's" so how can you believe this guy. I will make sure the scientists never, ever, touch the moral problem, the consciousness problem or anything other then sticking to computer data and personal attacks on naysayer.

If all else fails I'll simply change the metrics on the people. I'll say there are more fish, less water, or more water and less fish, or that people don't eat those fish, or that, only good radiation makes it to the fish.

When you know PR people, you'll know the are the lowest form of human on the planet, when you know scientists who rely on corporations and universities you'll know they are more then willing to whore themselves out to anyone who will pay in order to become a PR person for their employer.

Yes, exactly! They are experts at talking and saying nothing yet people walk away feeling like they've been reassured! I get really frustrated how many people don't realize how easy it is to get scientists, politicians, anyone say what they're told to say rather than what's right because if they don't, they lose their job or their family is threatened or they're simply taken out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join