It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Island Park Caldera activity Has VEI of 8 ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
OK this is just lighting up on Facebook

RSOE

Here the scale

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Only thing is my Earthquakes Gadget is quite
BRB

OK Map of area
upload.wikimedia.org...
edit on 22-2-2014 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

The RSOE map shows that they just had a earthquake of 1.4. But being as I am unfamiliar with EQ's would people feel it at a depth of 0.1 km like it says?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Okay, but I think its just lets people know that, doesn't mean it is going to explode. Its not measuring activity,simply saying this is how it is ranked for amounts of discharge.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I think so closer to the surface it is the stronger it is but at 1.4 it not much power is it ??
Maybe just the begin g sure hope NOTTTTTTTTTTTT

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Well Guthrie Oklahoma sure is rocking again tonight 2.5, 3.2
Maybe just a reaction from the big boy flexing there muscle at Yellowstone

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Trillium
reply to post by TDawgRex

I think so closer to the surface it is the stronger it is but at 1.4 it not much power is it ??
Maybe just the begin g sure hope NOTTTTTTTTTTTT

Not much. A butterfly could break wind & make a bigger rattling.

Half kidding, it's equivalent to about 1.8 tons of TNT, and would barely be felt, if at all, at deeper depths. As close to the surface as it was, it may or may not have been, depends on the geology, too.

Here's a neat conversion tool for approximating: www.convertalot.com...

And the VEI is just a ranking index, not a warning for immediate doom. All it means is that when it does decide to pop it's cork, it's going to be a BIG mess.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Dimithae

Okay, but I think its just lets people know that, doesn't mean it is going to explode. Its not measuring activity,simply saying this is how it is ranked for amounts of discharge.

May want to check that page again it said last activity was February 22 2014 12:07 AM

Also a lot off Helium is coming out lately
www.npr.org...
edit on 22-2-2014 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Trillium

Dimithae

May want to check that page again it said last activity was February 22 2014 12:07 AM

They don't need to check again, you misunderstand what a VEI ranking is.The page indeed essentially says "Yes, minor activity has occurred", not "VEI 8 activity detected! Grab your BOB and run for the hills!!!1"

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

You're fretting over nothing.
That's a very old caldera in the Yellowstone complex and Yellowstone gets much more energetic activity all the time.

Island Park Caldera Last eruption; over 2 Million Years ago.

Yellowstone Caldera Last Eruption; 640,000 years ago.

VEI 8 just means this is a SUPERVOLCANO, and when it does blow, it has the potential to blow in a huge way.
It doesn't mean every single little quiver is going to result in the end of the world.

Earthquakes and swarms happen all the time in that area:

Due to the volcanic and tectonic nature of the region, the Yellowstone Caldera experiences between 1000 and 2000 measurable earthquakes a year. Most are relatively minor, measuring a magnitude of 3 or weaker. Occasionally, numerous earthquakes are detected in a relatively short period of time, an event known as an earthquake swarm. In 1985, more than 3000 earthquakes were measured over several months. More than 70 smaller swarms have been detected between 1983 and 2008. The USGS states that these swarms could be caused more by slips on pre-existing faults than by movements of magma or hydrothermal fluids.

edit on 2/22/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Nyiah

Trillium

Dimithae

They don't need to check again, you misunderstand what a VEI ranking is.The page indeed essentially says "Yes, minor activity has occurred", not "VEI 8 activity detected! Grab your BOB and run for the hills!!!1"

No need i'm 3000 mile north-east
so why ie all that Helium coming out for ???????????
this could be just the warm-up phase

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

You're fretting over nothing.
That's a very old caldera in the Yellowstone complex and Yellowstone gets much more energetic activity all the time.

Island Park Caldera Last eruption; over 2 Million Years ago.

Yellowstone Caldera Last Eruption; 640,000 years ago.

VEI 8 just means this is a SUPERVOLCANO, and when it does blow, it has the potential to blow in a huge way.
It doesn't mean every single little quiver is going to result in the end of the world.

Earthquakes and swarms happen all the time in that area:

Due to the volcanic and tectonic nature of the region, the Yellowstone Caldera experiences between 1000 and 2000 measurable earthquakes a year. Most are relatively minor, measuring a magnitude of 3 or weaker. Occasionally, numerous earthquakes are detected in a relatively short period of time, an event known as an earthquake swarm. In 1985, more than 3000 earthquakes were measured over several months. More than 70 smaller swarms have been detected between 1983 and 2008. The USGS states that these swarms could be caused more by slips on pre-existing faults than by movements of magma or hydrothermal fluids.

edit on 2/22/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

I did say ACTIVITY not getting ready to blow-up LOL and yes i do know what VEI=8 is a size indication not a potential

top topics

join