It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Prepared To Fight War Over Ukraine, Senior Government Official Admits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

“If Ukraine breaks apart, it will trigger a war,” the official said. “They will lose Crimea first [because] we will go in and protect [it], just as we did in Georgia.” In August 2008, Russian troops invaded Georgia after the Georgian military launched a surprise attack on the separatist region of South Ossetia in an effort to establish its dominance over the republic.

...The warning of a similar scenario comes because Ukraine’s civil conflict has fanned tension in Crimea. On the peninsula, located on the northern coast of the Black Sea where Russia’s Black Sea Fleet is stationed, ethnic Russians make up almost 60 per cent of the population, with Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars accounting for the rest.

More at article here:
www.zerohedge.com...

Last I recall, the main factor for Russia's literal overrun of NATO-trained Georgian troops was that it was fiercely protecting a near 90% ethnic Russian population in South Ossetia. While the population in this case is more of an even split, add to that the tremendous strategic necessity of maintaining oil pipelines running through Ukraine to provide outlets to Europe for Russian oil, and you have one damned determined Putin.

I don't know how many countries TPTB expect to destroy by inciting population uprisings, but eventually they are going to get punched in the face for it.

Not sure on this source, but figured I'd post it, as it seemed an interesting article. I've watched several videos on the grim situation in Kiev, and now rumors are flying that the Ukrainian President has fled Kiev to Russia- not sure on the validity of that one either. I figured let ATS do the sorting and vetting.

The bigger picture? US end game in Ukraine: A puppet government installed and a base for the missile shield. Ha. You guys gotta watch this guy, and stick with him- he drifts a bit, but most of this is good!

edit on Sat Feb 22nd 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Ukraine has been sharply divided by pro-western lean, and Russian influence. Remember Yanukovych vs Yushchenko years ago and the poisoning of Yushchenko?

These are Very high stakes, and Ukraine is (and always has been) a strategic resource for both Western and Eastern Interests. It is highly agricultural, supplying vast amounts of grain, as well as oil and gas, not to mention pipeline distribution. If there was ever a country Russia would fight tooth and nail to control, it would be Ukraine,

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I have little doubt Putin will fight before losing Ukraine from the Russian sphere of influence. No question really. He has to. he's also been leader of the Russian Federation at one level or the other since just before Bush took over. In other words, he built upon a lifetime of game playing and intelligence work with having been the world leader to stand and remain from before the start of the current world fighting to the present day. I think he's seen this coming as sure as Iran as seen their day coming and even China may be concerned (and rightfully so, for all I can predict my nation's intentions anymore) about ultimate confrontation with the West.

Well, Putin is a steely eyed, hands on, professional who I have little doubt learned by doing and some of that doing was fatal to those he did it to. I'm talking personally. A solid look at his bio and careful look at the man himself isn't comforting when he's on the other side of the table and has far more to lose in this contest, right now, than we do. I'd love Putin at my back, as anything but Russian ...but at the front and pissed or desperate in even a passing real way???

Oh.. lordy.. I thought this ended in 1989. I really did...and Putin was playing this same game then, too. He was just a much smaller player at that time.

.....and in the American corner .. we have our community organizer whose greatest claim to fame in state and federal Senate offices was the lack of votes, when showing up at all and distinct avoidance of anything controversial to interrupt the consolidation of political power.

The words.....Unfair Matchup...come to mind. I'd give anything not to be on the wrong side of that, too. Well... Almost anything.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Ha. And McCain has the friggin NERVE to talk about "Russian meddling?"

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Is this not kind of like the blind leading the blind? I mean after you watch that video in the OP, rioting Ukrainians are choosing to side with the EU despite themselves. They are going to get raped, while Putin offers a better bribe. 30% reduction in the cost of natural gas, while the EU wants to raise it 40%! Putin may just have to send in the military and slap some sense into them all! And if Georgia was any indication, he'll go in with extra big guns this time- just in case NATO gets any ideas.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

How I see Ukraine.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
A sovereign Ukraine should be able to trade with whomever they wish. However this is if we believe it is actually sovereign and not under Russian Control already, much like the Soviet Era. You have to remember that Ukraine has pretty much been Russia's whipping boy for decades...

There is still resentment over the Stalin's Holodomor, collectivisation, and the Slav working class submitting to Russian upper bureaucratic interference. Much of what Slavic Ukrainians make, get shipped to upperclass Russians.

If they can get more for their resources via an open market, should a Sovereign nation not be able to do so? Well obviously not with a jackboot, Soviet, KGB thug like Putin still in control. Heck, he'll just poison anyone who dares oppose..

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Yes.The Russians prepare for a slaughter while the talking twits here blame the US."Deny ignorance"

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

TrueAmerican
Ha. And McCain has the friggin NERVE to talk about "Russian meddling?"

I wonder why this shameless fool still allowed speaking!

Second line

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

We're not the only ones. Many Ukrainians blame the US as well, there has been enough evidence that the US and EU are meddling and why wouldn't they? It's in their best interest that Ukraine joins the EU. www.abovetopsecret.com...

What makes you believe Russia is so blood thirsty? The US and NATO allies are usually very quick to want to send ground troops into a location where they have 'interests', so don't say the fact they are considering sending in troops proof that they are.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
What does the situation in the Ukraine have to do with the U.S.? that's what I thought too, nothing. when Ukraine decides to attack NATO, the U.S. can respond. when Russia decides to attack NATO, the U.S. can respond. when Russia attacks Ukraine? the U.S. HAD BETTER NOT respond. for one, it's not the U.S.A.'s problem, and secondly, there isn't a single person in the U.S. armed forces general officer corps that has an inkling on how to win a war anyway! Need proof? those were the guys that ALLOWED the suits in Washington D.C. (district of corruption) to send troops to Iraq ! never mind A-loser-stan. Also, here's a great way to determine how ready the U.S. is to fight an actual war. 1) Senior MARINE CORPS officers saying "non-leathal weapons" are the way to go! (Absolute Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moment for me) 2) If they don't understand how to defeat a shoe string insurgency in A-loser-stan, in what, say 2 yrs,TOPS! how do they expect to win against a European fighting force, well trained for years, to fight the, yes, you guessed it, NATO !

Don't get me wrong. I don't question the bravery or zeal of the fighting men and women of ANY COUNTRY. I have massive amounts of issues with the people that DON'T DO THE fighting, but start a fight anyway. But that's what happens every time when your talking about the angry monkeys we call "civilized human beings". Also, when you have suits in front of microphones talking about fighting a war from "moral" high ground, your talking to people who have already lost..

Hey, the U.N. isn't doing anything, maybe they could send some of they're "quality" people over there. As a mater of fact, take the whole U.N., PLEASE! the Ukraine or Russia would make a great new home for the U.N.! What? no takers in Europe? Well played Europeans! guess the U.S.A. is stuck being the home of the "Unruly Nations" United you say? My A$$ ! Well, Belgium got boned being the NATO/E.U. center, I guess we can put up with the U.N., pommes frits anyone ?

edit on 2222014 by tencap77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2222014 by tencap77 because: spelling and context. also my grandkids get pissed at me for yelling at them for not capitalizing names, so there!

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

tencap77
What does the situation in the ukraine have to do with the U.S.? that's what I thought too, nothing.

The US has been pushing for a free-trade agreement with the EU for years now, they don't want the EU to sink and they will fight to keep it going.

RT - The Ukrainians think so too, I know that it's RT but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

ETA: I thought you were denying that the US had involvement in Ukraine... It's quite early in the morning here and I have had VERY little sleep :/ lol
edit on 22-2-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Video has a good recap of what is going on here

Here's article of what the OP video is discussing on Paul Craig Roberts - "US and EU Are Paying Ukrainian Rioters and Protesters — Paul Craig Roberts"

Paid protesters

One reader wrote:
“My wife, who is of Ukrainian nationality, has weekly contact to her parents and friends in Zhytomyr [NW Ukraine]. According to them, most protesters get an average payment of 200-300 grivna, corresponding to about 15-25 euro. As I additionally heard, one of the most active agencies and ‘payment outlets’ on EU side is the German ‘Konrad Adenauer Stiftung’, being closely connected to the CDU, i.e. Mrs. Merkel’s party.”

"Network to achieve US goals in Ukraine"

As I reported on February 12, “Washington Orchestrated Protests Are Destabilizing Ukraine,” www.paulcraigroberts.org... Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland, a rabid Russophobe and neoconservative warmonger, told the National Press Club last December that the US has “invested” $5 billion in organizing a network to achieve US goals in Ukraine in order to give “Ukraine the future it deserves.” www.informationclearinghouse.info... Nuland is the Obama regime official who was caught red-handed naming the members of the Ukrainian government Washington intends to impose on the Ukrainian people once the paid protesters have unseated the current elected and independent government.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tencap77

I agree, it really isn't any of the U.S.'s business to get involved in Ukraine, but aside from supporting the rebellion, there isn't anything militarily that can be done..

It's an internal matter, but the Ukrainians are a hard and fastidious bunch who have had their share of wars over their resources.

If you've actually been to Ukraine or Russia, they may not have a political freedom, (While I don't adhere to any political bent) they do actually enjoy a sense of Freedom we in the west equate to bygone days.

If it's purely economics, Ukrainians know they would be better off without Russia sucking from their proverbial teat.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Pro-Russia demonstrations break out in Ukraine

Putin asks parliament to use military in Ukraine

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) -- Pro-Russian demonstrations have broken out in major cities in eastern and southern Ukraine, as Russian President Vladimir Putin asked for parliamentary permission Saturday to use troops to protect Russians in the country.

Demonstrators raised the Russian flag Saturday over Kharkhiv city hall after a demonstration turned violent. Russia supporters clashed with backers of the Ukrainian government who were guarding the building. Government supporters were left beaten and bloodied.

Demonstrators jammed a Russian flag through a broken window in an upper story.

Ukrainian and television news wires reported pro-Russians demonstrations in Donetsk and Odessa. All three cities have large Russian-speaking populations.

AP Link

So looks like the information in the OP here wasn't so dubious after all. Obama's statement was weak, weak, weak. The Russian parliament will likely approve Putin's request. His troops are already in position, so it's not like his request was before the fact. He's ready to move, and if Georgia was any indication of the veracity of his resolve to defend pro-Russian interests, NATO's going to have to do a whole lot better this time. I mean, the US has a reputation to uphold here as the world's police! Can't be lettin no Putin grab hold of what is already his. We must take it. Preferred method: incite civil uprising, and watch the bullets fly. They are probably already fighting over the reconstruction contracts, insuring more no bids. Welcome to Iraq, Afghan, and Syria 2.0.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Russian upper house approves use of force in Ukraine: CNN

(CNN) -- Russia's upper house of parliament voted Saturday to approve the use of military force in Ukraine. The vote was unanimous.

[Original Story, published 9:23 a.m. ET]

(CNN) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has asked the upper house of parliament for approval to send Russian troops into Ukraine's Crimea region to normalize the political situation there, the Kremlin said Saturday.

Due to the "extraordinary situation in Ukraine," Putin said, there are threats to the lives of Russian citizens and Russian military personnel based in the southern Crimean region.

It comes on the same day that the new pro-Russian leader of Crimea, Sergey Aksyonov, asked Putin for help in maintaining peace in the Black Sea peninsula -- where Russia has a major naval base at Sevastopol.

International concerns are mounting that Moscow may intervene militarily in the crisis, despite warnings from the United States and other Western powers that it should respect Ukrainian sovereignty.

In response to Putin's move, Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt tweeted: "Russian military intervention in Ukraine is clearly against international law and principles of European security."

www.cnn.com...

Game on. So, Obama, how many trillions more is this going to cost us?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

It had better cost us nothing but face and bad P.R. as we quietly exit stage left. This was a bad bad mistake to try and carry the same nation busting/building B.S. from the Middle East and Africa right into the front yard of Moscow itself. I have *NO* idea what McCain, Obama and the rest of the warmongers had in mind here or if they even USED their minds at all...but we're in a pickle for commitments we cannot honor without a war we cannot win (or....the world will really appreciate neither nation TRYING to win, that's for damn sure).

I think our best option is to mumble some awkward apologies and take our leave. It's not like the world can't see we over-reached beyond all reason here... There is no need to play like we didn't or something. I'd like to see our leaders man-up for a change and FIX their mess.....not piddle in the middle to make it even worse. (sigh)

top topics

join