It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah lawmaker: Our atmosphere needs more CO2... for the plants

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Yes i would say if an entire continent turns into mordor CO2 would be just a small part of the problem.
I am in no way in favor of dumping CO2 into the atmosphere nor am I in favor of pollution but I think we should do our best in understanding what is happening and what happened in the past. If I were to guess I would say that the mass extinction events in Earth's history were not just from an increase in atmospheric CO2 levels nor global warming but a combination of things.

So why does my crappy op matters and not the opinion of the guy that want to save the trees?
I think it’s important to address the OP as to not add to any possible thread derailments. As for the tree guy, do you mean this comment by turboneon?

Maybe there wouldn't be as much CO2 in the air if we stopped cutting down all the forests.
I don’t see a problem with that statement.

It would be nice if you people talk a little bit about the guy in Utah and not the dinosaurs/china/...
Agreed.

Rep. Jerry Anderson's comment reminds me of a book I read that was published back in the 50’s, “The Challenge of Man’s Future”, where adding CO2 into the atmosphere was presented as a way to help feed the world by increasing plant production. Funny how many things have changed since that book was written.

His comment about being glad for global warming because it was cold this winter is just plain ridiculous. I stopped listening after that.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

As for the tree guy, do you mean this comment

No I mean the Utah lawmaker that base his reasoning in the well being of the trees

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by boncho

boncho love to the best

Except you should read a bit more on how CO2 makes the oceans acid and kill most of the aquatic life

Permian extinction
edit on 20-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

I know exactly what CO2 does to the oceans. In fact I warn about it in threads quite often.

You said:

Yes lets go back to dinosaurs conditions they did well, its not like they became extinct or anything

We are already at/near the extinctions during the Permian period, there's nothing to "go back to". As far as I know CO2 is not the only contributing factor…

Despite knowing about biodiversity’s importance for a long time, human activity has been causing massive extinctions. As the Environment New Service, reported back in August 1999 (previous link): “the current extinction rate is now approaching 1,000 times the background rate and may climb to 10,000 times the background rate during the next century, if present trends continue [resulting in] a loss that would easily equal those of past extinctions.” (Emphasis added)

Death knell of the KT event.

The Utah lawmaker said, 'The dinosaurs did pretty well at 600ppm', That statement is nonsense. Your reply is nonsense.

For one, the two cannot be compared in the manner he is. He is justifying CO2 production with natural processes that are uncontrollable with something that are. And he's off in his timeline of when the dinosaurs "did pretty well".

And you said:

lets go to the levels of CO2 where a super volcano was active and generated mass extinctions like the Siberian Traps, the trees will be huge, or not what you say fellow ATS?

As well as getting hotter there is evidence that the climate also cooled. Sedimentological evidence for cooling comes from glacial deposits in polar zones, and thick dune sands and evaporites from temperate zones that represent a cool dry environment.
Some of the volcanic gasses released from the Siberian trap flood basalts could have the opposite affect to the CO2, cooling the climate insted of heating it. Why these had this affect is mentioned in volcanism

Other evidence comes form the reduced presence of carbonate limestones around the end of the Permian. This process would have had the greatest affect in the tropics where most of the Earth's limestone production occurs. Cooling would eliminate the tropical ares and kill tropical species, and if there were less Carbonate produceres there would be less Carbonate which is what is seen.

Another cooling affect comes from glaciation. Cooling can happen in low latitudes without there being glaciation and in this way just the cooling of the climate would be the cause of extinction by the method mentioned above.

Dinosaurs conditions were very complex. Unless we plan on creating man-made volcanoes, and diverting an asteroid we will not be recreating them any time soon.

We may create something equally devastating, but it won't be "dinosaur conditions".

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by Devino

As for the tree guy, do you mean this comment

No I mean the Utah lawmaker that base his reasoning in the well being of the trees

They base their reasoning on campaign fund contributions.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The Utah lawmaker said, 'The dinosaurs did pretty well at 600ppm', That statement is nonsense. Your reply is nonsense.

I feel the same about your comments

Save the trees man, how dare you say the guy have a politic agenda to push base on what he can earn of it

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Ummm, plants seem to harvest the C02 without a need to increase it. However, I like warm temps too. If you really want to up the oxygen level plant and maintain old large forrest growth, after all bamboo, flax and even commercial hemp is good for building materials, and up the plants, because they take the CO2 and pump out the O2.

This is no way suggests we shouldn't expect clean technology.
edit on 20-2-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Increasing co2 does help plant growth and sugar content but reduces the nitrogen and mineral content in plants
www.nature.com...
So it is not that great for animals that need to eat plants

top topics

<< 1   >>

join