It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Junk Mail Out of Control, so Do Something Useful With It.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I live alone, as my wife passed away 3 years ago. I am a professional, and live in a nice town South of Boston.
Every single day, except Sunday, I get from 4 to 8 pieces of junk mail in my mailbox, much of it addressed to her as well.

They range from thick grocery store flyers, to retail pamphlets, credit card offers, post card flyers, tool catalogs, music catalogs, furniture sales ads, coupons, letters with sales offers, etc. You name it. Once in a while, there is some kind of legitimate mail.

I understand that without this garbage in the mail system, it would probably cost many postal workers their jobs, so I do not care if American businesses want to waste their money producing and mailing this stuff, but it is certainly out of control. The postage alone probably amounts to $1.00 to $2.00 a day. So that is (365-52-10(holidays) days a year that produce approximately $450.00 of postage absolutely wasted on me from various firms, because I never read it.

(I wish they would just send me the money instead
). But wait.... I can make heat with this stuff! We are talking about burnable mass here. About 100lbs or so at the end of the year, when it gets quite cold here in Massachusetts.

I put it all through a shredder, and when I have a bag full, I then put it into the trash compactor and compress it into neat little bricks.
There is enough there to heat a few rooms of my house in a wood burning stove for the coldest days of the year.

I do not think this is actually an economical process, but there is definitively something you can do with this junk.

Other than recycling it for more junk mail, can anyone come up with other ideas that can turn this stuff into something that can save money?

I would like to hear your ideas, and thanks for reading my very minimal thread.

edit on 19-2-2014 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I think that's a great little idea and "green" too!

I put it all through a shredder, and when I have a bag full, I then put it into the garbage disposal and compress it into neat little bricks.

Do you mean "trash compactor"?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I understand that without this garbage in the mail system, it would probably cost many postal workers their jobs, so I do not care if American businesses want to waste their money producing and mailing this stuff, but it is certainly out of control. The postage alone probably amounts to $1.00 to $2.00 a day. So that is (365-52-10(holidays) days a year that produce approximately $450.00 of postage absolutely wasted on me from various firms, because I never read it.

Sadly, dying business models are kept alive. I like how you use it, but it's stupid that so much energy and effort, resources, etc. is wasted on things that accomplish very little.

Some mailers work. But the majority is small advertising firms jumping on new businesses to offer up their services, and a lot of them won't exist in a couple years. The alternative is huge companies that send them, looking only to hit rates, whether it be 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000. Because of their margins its a sustainable practice, and they get write offs on marketing costs.

But how useful is the practice?

I believe a new advertising model can be created.

Until then, happy burning.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Great idea! Its also good shredded for packaging if you have a business that ships fragile things, or pet cages. My kids usually use it for drawing on the back of if blank if we are talking catalogues that can be good for kids crafts.. I read some people recycle it themselves and make home made paper aswell. im sure googling it would bring up lots of uses, usually i just throw it in the bin you have got me thinking now!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by charlyv

I think that's a great little idea and "green" too!

I put it all through a shredder, and when I have a bag full, I then put it into the garbage disposal and compress it into neat little bricks.

Do you mean "trash compactor"?

Thanks! I have made that edit!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
You can use it as compost or a weed barrier in your garden!

The junk mail is crazy. I think you should be able to "return to sender" on it!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

mistressofspice
You can use it as compost or a weed barrier in your garden!

That is a good idea, wonder how much of it would actually be compostable?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Any time I get junk mail that includes self-addressed and postage-paid envelopes, I always mail their junk back to them and sometimes write "Stop Killing Trees!!!".

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

mistressofspice

I agree! Give them a taste of their own medicine! Like with the credit card offers etc where you get the spare return envelope just send it on back to them with their junk or a nice little note if enough people did that maybe they would get the hint? Probably not! Haha .. Cant escape advertising its like death & taxes, inevitable.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Haha you are awesome This is exactly what i was trying to say in my last post maybe we should all get on board with that lol.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

[Many mailings include return envelopes with return postage guaranteed.
Simply put the material into the return envelope and send it back.
This aids the postal service because the fee they collect from the original mailer is around double 1st class.
After a while the return postage without orders for the product or service will back up on the marketing program, problem solved

Small detail remove any address info that might be interpreted as a sales order.]

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
make a sign with big letters NO JUNK MAIL please hope that helps

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

Feel the need to escalate? Check with the post office about weight limits of return postage guarantee on mailer provided envelopes.

Perhaps the return postage offer letter could be attached to a heavy object.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
There ought to be a "do not mail list" - like the "do not call list" (yes, I'm aware that's mostly a failure but, well...onward I stride with my hopes...)

Most of my junk is addressed to "current resident" or "our neighbor"....or "my name OR current resident".

If they don't know who they are sending to, they shouldn't be allowed to send at all. Unsolicited garbage "aka junk mail" is almost as bad as unsolicited phone calls, imo. Thankfully, my waste bin is only a short distance from my mailbox.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Good idea! Although I do hope you're not burning that glossy paper. It isn't recyclable and its toxic if you burn it. I don't want to see someone getting sick.

As a side note, I recognize the aircraft in your avatar as I work on P-3's. Nice to see someone else who knows WTF they are.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

That is a great idea! Junk mail sucks, and thankfully it only comes on Thursday for me. But I stillkeep it for the reasons you posted.

Smart thinking!

I have to add, that I am sorry for your loss. I know it doesn't mean a lot, but it did touch a nerve.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

999zxcv
make a sign with big letters NO JUNK MAIL

thats just asking for trouble

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Misinformation

999zxcv
make a sign with big letters NO JUNK MAIL

thats just asking for trouble
trouble is my middle name

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Deemo Diablo
Good idea! Although I do hope you're not burning that glossy paper. It isn't recyclable and its toxic if you burn it. I don't want to see someone getting sick.

As a side note, I recognize the aircraft in your avatar as I work on P-3's. Nice to see someone else who knows WTF they are.

Tell me more about glossy paper, is that true? I will toss that crap if so.

I was Aircrew in a few P-3 squadrons, Acoustics and Radar., actually started off with P-2's (SP-2H). USN 1969-1977. Where do you work on P-3's?, and wow would I love to sit in a few of those birds again.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by charlyv

That is a great idea! Junk mail sucks, and thankfully it only comes on Thursday for me. But I stillkeep it for the reasons you posted.

Smart thinking!

I have to add, that I am sorry for your loss. I know it doesn't mean a lot, but it did touch a nerve.

Thanks, just giving background, but I am sure there are others that know how it is. I hate getting mail with her name on it, because it shows how brain-dead and sterile they are by sending something to a dead person. Such is this world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join