It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda Attack on Canary Wharf Foiled (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
According to a "senior authoritative source" within the British government, 9/11-style attacks against the Canary Wharf area of London have been thwarted. No details have emerged as to when, or indeed how, this was accomplished, except to say that training programs for suicide pilots were "disrupted". This information appeared just prior to the annual Queen's Speech, in which she outlined the government's legislative program, which included several key new security measures.

www.dailymail.co.uk
Terror plans to attack London by flying aircraft into the three skyscrapers of Canary Wharf have been thwarted, it has emerged.

The September 11-style terror attacks on Britain's tallest buildings were among four or five Al Qaeda strikes that security chiefs believe they have stopped.

The news comes ahead of the Queen's Speech, which will focus on a new rash of security measures.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It would be interesting to know if this attack (or attacks) are included in the five major attacks alleged to have been thwarted since 9/11. I also wonder if perhaps this is only the tip of the iceberg; it's reasonable to assume that the authorities would tend to avoid giving details of thwarted attacks. On one hand, such news shows that they're "on the ball", but on the other hand it could alarm the populace. If I were in charge, I'd keep most of this information secret, and only release occasional tidbits.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Wouldnt it be painfully ironic if they havent actually stopped it? I.e. they think its been thwarted but it actually hasnt been.

As far as reporting these things are concerned, I think that authorities should only do so if they were 100% certain thier bases were covered. I really hope for Britains sake that that this is truly the case and things are under control. I would tend to give them the benifit of the doubt.

If things are still developing I would hope that they would keep things under wraps.

Another interesting point: This could also be a tactic to help stop it as well. I.e. they made some decent progress and by announcing it publicly maybe some other Al Qeada agents involved in the operation with poorer communication will cease thier part of the operation not knowing how to proceed. You must understand that these terrorists cant comunicate like they used to.

It seems to me that they spend an enormous amount of time in the planning stage working together. But once things get under way and tasks are deligated they work individualy or in small groups with minimal communication. Maybe the Brits interupted a part of the operation and by announcing it to hope to stop the other parts from proceeding.

This could also cause those smaller cells or individuals to blow thier cover by trying to communicate for new instructions.

My 2 cents

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
My 2 cents,

I have always kina felt that the UK does have one of the best counter terror agencies around. So I do hope that the info, that they have stoped an atack is true, and that the cells have been located and stoped. The people invalved in bringing a stop to it do have my thanks!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Im glad our brothers across the sea have avoided there own 9-11. As the poster above stated, I hope they really have stopped it. Has anybody heard what the other four attacks were supposed to be?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I live in liverpool, england (home of the beatles
) and the terror alerts on SKY NEWS usually say its been thwarted, but what if this was some sort of diversion like they could MEAN to get caught while there are others still opporating around UK. And if they did actually do 9/11 disaster why would they go to OUR country and learn here to fly? why not learn somewhere where there would be no suspision forge a plane license then they could pack it with C4 an what not then do it?? What makes me laugh though is british tabloids state in them the security is not good enough how to get into heathrow an how to make homemade bombs!!! Any one from UK who buys Sunday mirror will back me up on this

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
RENEGADE CELL
If it means anything I really do think it is illresponcible of the tabloids, and the press in general to print things like you said. Things are hard enuff with out the press telling people how to make terror attacks, or publish and encorage hate and hate crimes. But as we both know, that is one of the draw backs of haveing a free society.

new topics

top topics

join