It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drought In Brazil Has Gotten So Bad That 142 Cities Are Now Rationing Water

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Alarming problems in Brazil with a water shortage caused by a massive drought.

This article is also saying a University of California paleoclimatologist warns that the California drought could last 200 years because of “the Pacific Decadal Oscillation”, and mentions that the U.S. cattle herd is the lowest in 63 years.

This could affect worldwide food supplies.

Maybe this is triggering "water wars" ?

Is this all for real ?

Did you know that the drought in Brazil is so bad that some neighborhoods are only being allowed to get water once every three days?

At this point, 142 Brazilian cities are rationing water and there does not appear to be much hope that this crippling drought is going to end any time soon. Unfortunately, most Americans seem to be absolutely clueless about all of this. In response to my recent article about how the unprecedented drought that is plaguing California right now could affect our food supply, one individual left a comment stating “if Califirnia can’t supply South America will. We got NAFTA.”

Apart from the fact that this person could not even spell “California” correctly, we also see a complete ignorance of what is going on in the rest of the planet. The truth is that the largest country in South America (Brazil) is also experiencing an absolutely devastating drought at the moment. They are going to have a very hard time just taking care of their own people for the foreseeable future.

Long detailed article...

Drought In Brazil Has Gotten So Bad That 142 Cities Are Now Rationing Water

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

most Americans seem to be absolutely clueless about all of this.

Many of them couldn't find Brazil on a map either. The only reason some can find California is because if the go further west the fall in the ocean.

As far as the Brazilian water shortage it's the first I've heard of it. I know Cali is suffering and is probably on the verge of water wars but they are using something like 15% of their water for golf courses. Just read about Obama doing the golf rounds there while everything else is burning up.

Haven't heard of “the Pacific Decadal Oscillation” either but am surprised they just didn't blame on global warming... excuse me, climate change, or is it the same thing? 200 years sounds extremely bad though.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

most Americans seem to be absolutely clueless about all of this.

Many of them couldn't find Brazil on a map either.

Very true, and many Americans would also think Brazil is a Spice.

Anyway back on topic, I have hundreds of litres of water - all collected in glass bottles. Not nearly enough yet. Yes - the Water Wars are coming soon.

Stock up Troopers - Ammo, Food and Water. The Water at the FEMA Camps will be Heavily Medicated, to keep you Happy Happy Joy Joy.

edit on 19-2-2014 by BoogieMan911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Sadly we know what all next military conflicts are going to be about in the future when there is no petrol left... to invade (or should I be politically correct and say "SAVE or FREE"? other countries and equally kill innocent civilians about...

Message to the close minded : As long as the person is not one of your family members you don't give a hoot do you?

I wonder when the first Al-Qaïda camp and proof of WMD will be located in Iceland?

Edited to add : What is even sadder here on ATS is that you mentioned Brazil in your title... If you had mentioned California that would have got many many more people interested from their neck of the woods...

Unfortunately, a large majority of our community don't seem to give a toss about other countries here if it does not concern their own backyard...

Personally I live in France, although I maybe preoccupied with what is going on over here, I am also extremely interested and concerned about what is going around on the rest of our planet as this can also effect US over here too...

Such a shame for Brazil who are an up and coming country.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. For those coming back with an aggressive response I only have 3 words to say : The truth hurts
edit on 19/2/14 by Rodinus because: No-one will care about this thread as it does not depict the Good Ol selfish U.S of A as usual...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Find some desalination companies and buy some stocks! Desalination is a very active field right now, and will only become more so in the coming years. That, or weather control, might end up being our only options. We know that they can strip ions from the air to precipitate rain, so that's a good start... but it's only helpful if there a considerable amount of water in the air. Our next best option is to start pulling in ocean water.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Interesting,

The Bush empire has recently bought 100,000 acres of land that coincidentally sits atop the worlds largest Aquifer.

"The Guaraní Aquifer...is one of the world's largest aquifer systems...It is said that this vast underground reservoir could supply fresh drinking water to the world for 200 years."

www.fourwinds10.net...

edit on 19-2-2014 by Skorpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Predictable and predicted. There have been drought-related food shortages -and related revolts- in many parts of the world over the past several years. The "problem" is just expanding and continuing - industrial agriculture and other activities have sucked all the aquifers dry, so the "problem" will NOT go away. It WILL get worse and the effects WILL spread. Don't panic but do get prepared.

F&S&

edit on 19/2/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Time to look at desalinization plants and pumping the treated water uphill to the inland locations.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Good post, thanks. After seeing this I just filled my water tank.

It hasn't rained much at all (mostly none) for around here for 3-4+ weeks. It's normal for this time of year around SE Asia though, but still a good idea to keep the water filled up.

Perhaps the world is in for a new climate shock or realignment these coming seasons, who really knows anyways. People predict all the time, but have no crystal ball for 30+ years out

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Skorpy

reply to post by VforVendettea

The area is humongous! To put it in other terms, it is Texas and California put together. Hundreds of thousands of football fields.

It is claimed that the Guarani Aquifer contains water enough for the entire world for 200 years! So why start desalination of water?
Just pump it around.

Found this video:

So its peculiar how the word "drought", fits into the phrase "contains water enough for the entire world for 200 years"
Did they make beer of all that water?

edit on 19/2/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I don't care at all what happens outside the US unless it affects the US. With the exception of Israel. I don't want a world that is one country. If every country looked after their own the world would be far better off.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This all sounds familiar like these things were predicted in some documentary. It had something to do with science but then a lot of people came out saying it was flawed and incorrect. Hmm I wish I could remember the name.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It already started to rain again here
. But yeah, the heat was killing me. Last week the temperature was around of 307K (34 Celsius). But the situation was worst on palces liek Rio and Sao Paulo, where the populion really helped screwing up things.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Frocharocha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

timothyj
reply to post by Rodinus

I don't care at all what happens outside the US unless it affects the US. With the exception of Israel. I don't want a world that is one country. If every country looked after their own the world would be far better off.

Thats why you guys should stop using HAARP.

Yes, some might say you need tin foil to talk with me. Until your water runs out/you have flooding/typhoon, keep assuring yourself HAARP do nothing.

Sooner or later, your country will experience "it" too, all because your country need to "peek" what the other country is doing using your HAARP.

Stop using the HAARP, you guys will suffer along with us too (we suffer first though and suffering it now).
Btw, in US, it will be extreme cold + mega typhoon. Good luck going through it.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

timothyj
reply to post by Rodinus

And then when your country needs support from other countries... will you still not care?

Or are you one of those people who thinks that your country is quite capable of managing by itself? (especially in the current economic and social situation)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

This could affect worldwide food supplies.

Maybe this is triggering "water wars" ?

Is this all for real ?

Yeah.. It's for real. I wish it weren't, but it's real it seems.

Brazil rations water in 140 cities amid worst drought in decades (RT)

Brazil may face water shortages during World Cup, group says (Reuters)

Brazil: Water shortage dries taps in Olympic city of Rio de Janeiro

Water shouldn't be short how it is. It doesn't have to be short like it is. It won't be fixed or solved in time to matter though, so yeah, I'd say water will form at least some wars in the future. Nations with suffering people don't stay peaceful long. If not internal unrest, then externally against others to get resources.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I found this little snippet of information quite interesting :

Why global water shortages pose threat of terror and war

From California to the Middle East, huge areas of the world are drying up and a billion people have no access to safe drinking water. US intelligence is warning of the dangers of shrinking resources and experts say the world is 'standing on a precipice'

Full article here : www.theguardian.com...

And this from the same link :

REGIONS AT RISK

1 CALIFORNIA

The state's water resources are at critically low levels and a drought emergency has been declared. The health department says 17 rural areas are dangerously parched.

2 BRAZIL

São Paulo, the country's largest city, is on the verge of water rationing because of a severe drought and shortages are possible when the country hosts the football World Cup in the summer. January was the hottest month on record in the city and water in its main reservoir has fallen to 20.9% of its capacity, the lowest level in a decade.

3 MIDDLE EAST

Tehran, the capital of Iran, is facing a shortage so serious that officials are making contingency plans for rationing in an area where 22 million live as well as in other big cities. President Hassan Rouhani has identified water as a national security issue. Shortages are so severe in the United Arab Emirates that the country is using non-conventional resources, including desalination, treated wastewater, rainwater harvesting and cloud seeding. At a a water conference,Crown Prince General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan said: "For us, water is [now] more important than oil." With the third lowest water reserves in the region, Jordan is struggling to cope with an influx of Syrian refugees. The country is undergoing power cuts because of water shortages. Prince Hassan, uncle of King Abdullah, warned last week that a war over water and energy could be bloodier than the Arab spring.

4 NORTH AFRICA

Egypt has demanded that Ethiopia stop construction of a mega-dam on the Nile, vowing to protect its historical rights to the river at "any cost". The Egyptian authorities have called for a study into whether the project would reduce the river's flow.

5 SOUTH ASIA About 600 million people live on the 2,000km swath that extends from eastern Pakistan, across the hot dry plains of northern India and into Bangladesh and the land is the world's most intensely irrigated. Up to 75% of farmers rely on pumped groundwater.

6 CHINA

There is increasing competition for water. More than half the proposed coal-fired power stations are expected to be built in areas of high water stress, thus threatening water insecurity for farms, other industry and the public.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Could a large, medium,small or any amount of the reasons for modern droughts be do to the bottled water industry?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Found this that might partly answer your question :

Drought is caused by the lack of availability of surface water, not ground water, and so extracting protected water sources for the purposes of bottling does not affect the water supply to neighbouring residential areas.

Link : www.britishsoftdrinks.com...

And here : www.bottledwaterinformation.co.uk...

However, this article says otherwise :

The water levels in aquifers is not often a constant. Groundwater levels first are dependent on recharge from infiltration of precipitation so when a drought hits the land surface it can impact the water levels below ground, too. Likewise, many aquifers, especially those which don't have abundant recharge, are affected by the amount of water being pumped out of local wells. Groundwater decline is a real and serious problem in many places of the Nation and the world. When rainfall is less than normal for several weeks, months, or years, the flow of streams and rivers declines, water levels in lakes and reservoirs fall, and the depth to water in wells increases. If dry weather persists and water-supply problems develop, the dry period can become a drought.

Link here : ga.water.usgs.gov...

So the question is, who to believe... private companies or the Gvt?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 20/2/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Rodinus
reply to post by ImaFungi

Found this that might partly answer your question :

Drought is caused by the lack of availability of surface water, not ground water, and so extracting protected water sources for the purposes of bottling does not affect the water supply to neighbouring residential areas.

Link : www.britishsoftdrinks.com...

And here : www.bottledwaterinformation.co.uk...

However, this article says otherwise :

The water levels in aquifers is not often a constant. Groundwater levels first are dependent on recharge from infiltration of precipitation so when a drought hits the land surface it can impact the water levels below ground, too. Likewise, many aquifers, especially those which don't have abundant recharge, are affected by the amount of water being pumped out of local wells. Groundwater decline is a real and serious problem in many places of the Nation and the world. When rainfall is less than normal for several weeks, months, or years, the flow of streams and rivers declines, water levels in lakes and reservoirs fall, and the depth to water in wells increases. If dry weather persists and water-supply problems develop, the dry period can become a drought.

Link here : ga.water.usgs.gov...

So the question is, who to believe... private companies or the Gvt?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 20/2/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

The first part from the corporations seems rather disingenuous and marketing speak. Of course bottling water from protected water sources will not affect neighboring communities - unless those communities have access to use the protected water source.

The link from the government seems about right from my observations. Less rain = less ground water, and over time less underground/aquifer water because there is nothing to replenish it from above. Trees are a great source to collect water from the humidity of the air, but as more trees are being cut and logging, then that will also lead to perma-drought conditions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join