It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cats Have Super, Psychedelic Vision

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Nice thread... animals & insects can be amazing

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

tencap77
reply to post by KnightLight

if you mean do i have mental health issues yes i do. if you want to cast aspersions on me beause i spell poorly and want to tell me i'm stupid and illiterate that's ok too, i'm a veteran. i'm used to people dumping crap on me because of who i am and what i believe. i believe that you consider yourself enlightened in this respect. good for you. it is said the quality of mercy is not strained. i know the quality of mercy. it's why i prefer the company of cats to people like you. of course, i recognize your intellectual superiority right away. expecting me to bow down to it would be like asking john kerry to "get it".

No.
was my face.
A joke.
It was just an opportunity to define a word that I think many people don't understand. It has nothing to do with you. I was also in the Army, and don't appreciate your judgmental attitude. Everything you wrote you made up in your head, as I never said any of those things. Now I will take the time to say you are insecure though( or you have a case of Herbal paranoia). Don't let that cause you to treat people like me so unfairly, or you will really lose out on life. Be good man.

edit on 19-2-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Walleye, a very tasty perch type fish famous for its cat like nocturnal vision has a reflective coating on the back of thier eyes which allows it to see the light twice
accuracy of vision is probably slighty better in the fish that didn't bite the lure

edit on 19-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Just posting as I am an owner of four cats, all grown up now but they still creep me out staring at corners of the room or into thin air. Always knew they had better vision than us. It's a shame my cats spend half their time looking at the back of their eye lids .. Sleeping

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

KnightLight

tencap77
reply to post by KnightLight

if you mean do i have mental health issues yes i do. if you want to cast aspersions on me beause i spell poorly and want to tell me i'm stupid and illiterate that's ok too, i'm a veteran. i'm used to people dumping crap on me because of who i am and what i believe. i believe that you consider yourself enlightened in this respect. good for you. it is said the quality of mercy is not strained. i know the quality of mercy. it's why i prefer the company of cats to people like you. of course, i recognize your intellectual superiority right away. expecting me to bow down to it would be like asking john kerry to "get it".

No.
was my face.
A joke.
It was just an opportunity to define a word that I think many people don't understand. It has nothing to do with you. I was also in the Army, and don't appreciate your judgmental attitude. Everything you wrote you made up in your head, as I never said any of those things. Now I will take the time to say you are insecure though( or you have a case of Herbal paranoia). Don't let that cause you to treat people like me so unfairly, or you will really lose out on life. Be good man.

What makes you think you have the right to tell me anything? (be good man
) I' m insecure? really? how about I'm a guy who has to look over his shoulder every where he goes? how about I'm a guy who stays at home and takes care of his disabled veteran wife ? I'm just hanging around, on a website, having some fun and I tell you I don't appreciate your spelling lesson and you have to come back and tell me to "be good man
" and that I'm insecure. Whatever you say, intellectually superioir ex-army guy! How in the world do you know what my life is like or what i may have already lost? But fair enough. As i said before, i'd rather spend time with my cat and my wingman than spend a microsecond with a someone like u. oh, and "be good man

edit on 2192014 by tencap77 because: spelling, rage, booze, bud, having a fab "Physco" episode !

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

tencap77

What makes you think you have the right to tell me anything? (be good man
) I' m insecure? really? how about I'm a guy who has to look over his shoulder every where he goes?

Really. And I was wishing you a good night, goofy.

Whatever you say, intellectually superioir ex-army guy! How in the world do you know what my life is like or what i may have already lost? But fair enough. As i said before, i'd rather spend time with my cat and my wingman than spend a microsecond with a someone like u. oh, and "be good man

edit on 2192014 by tencap77 because: spelling, rage, booze, bud, having a fab "Physco" episode !

I never said anything about you or your life or my intelligence or lack thereof, except later to say that you are indeed insecure and continue to be. You took me saying "be good man" as sarcasm, but I was being serious.

I'm a nice guy I'm not playing games or sitting here all high and mighty. As I said earlier I was only taking an opportunity to define a word that many think means "trippy." It had nothing to do with you, only your post made it easy to show the root of the word, which is psyche...

Don't waste any more microseconds on me. Time is short..

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Interesting thread, thanks!

I think about vision often - I've been severely near-sighted all my life. Not long ago I looked up how dogs see, and before that, how horses see...and we already know about how flies and bees and lots of other animals see.

My question is: could a person, let's say someone who is blind, have eyes transplanted from a dog or pig, and then be able to see the bigger spectrum? (Assuming the tissues wouldn't be rejected) - or is our brain what controls the amount of visual info coming in? I mean, if we developed a human eye that had the same rods and cones as a dog or cat or elephant or dolphin or whatever - would the eye work the same for us??

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by rickymouse

What's TLE and TBI? Interesting post. And thread.

Temporal Lobe Epilepsy is TLE. I have scarring on the temporal lobe that doesn't allow the signal to go straight through the brain so it works it's way around the brain. At least this is what I figure from reading a lot of research on the subject. The tinnitus I have is because this misdirected energy can hit the part of the brain that recognizes what we hear. This is different than regular tinnitus. When this energy hits the part of the brain that controls vision, it overrides the filters and I see things outside of the spectrum that most people can see. So far, if I control the energy, by avoiding too much sugar and also eating certain foods that dampen energy, I have had really good luck controlling this. I can't take meds for this because it messes with the P450 enzymes and this causes a lot of problems in my health and circulation which is related to some things that happened in my ancestral history. Because of this, the epilepsy actually increased when taking the meds that were used to treat it.

Some people can take these medicines, but the side effects would have killed me. Accomplishing the control of the TLE requires a lot of monitoring to accomplish this with out medicines A doctor cannot accomplish this unless the doctor was living with me 24/7. I have learned to interpret the tinnitus and also the smell of my pee. The smell of the Pee tells me the state of asparaganes in my body, something I use to judge how my energy level is. Only those who can smell the asparagus pee smell can do this, most people can't smell that.

So now I have a good array pattern in my thinking, being to be able to compare what I learn to everything I know. There are some pluses to this along with the minuses. I don't drive if there is a chance I am going to have one of these distracting colorful episodes. I do not have grand mall seizures, just the kind that overload different parts of the brain causing confusion. I always drove ok, but I was getting lost in areas I knew well. I have learned to control this well. I understand why some people have to be retrained into a new line of work after they have a TBI. All the stuff I knew and utilized running in automatic mode is missing little tricks of the trade so now things don't go right all the time unless I think about them and sort them out beforehand. Losing automatic is the hardest part of this. I knew how to do a lot of different things and now I miss steps when I do them, causing a lot of minor problems and making things expensive. I can explain how to do things but raising the energy level of the body while doing them causes me to become confused. It's a shame, I really liked to do things hands on.

TBI is traumatic brain injury

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepVisions

This could cause a complete rethinking of the intellect of animals. In the past, the presumption has always been that they had poor eyesight to accomodate an increase in olfactory and audible sensing capability.

This may be indicating that they make due without color vision by utilizing ultraviolet light. It would be difficult to determine how their brain processes the ultraviolet light combined with regular non color light to create an array of color they can see.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

dude, you HAVE to write a thread on this stuff. Seriously. I am very interested in what you have to say on the subject. Every time I read something you write on it, i say the same thing.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

wildtimes

My question is: could a person, let's say someone who is blind, have eyes transplanted from a dog or pig, and then be able to see the bigger spectrum? (Assuming the tissues wouldn't be rejected) - or is our brain what controls the amount of visual info coming in? I mean, if we developed a human eye that had the same rods and cones as a dog or cat or elephant or dolphin or whatever - would the eye work the same for us??

I'm not sure if an animals eyes could be transplanted into a human, that would be really cool though.

The lens in the human eye is what blocks out ultraviolet light. There are some cases were a persons' lens was removed for medical purposes and as a result that person could see UV light.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
As humans, we try to compare the size of the brain cavity to the intellect, comparing what we know of the human brain to other animal brains. Can you see the flaw in this? How about the efficiency of parts of the brain that we have ignored in the past? How about the frequency and conductivity of the brain. An eagle may be able to think ten times as fast as a human. This means we could not use the same system to actually judge their intellect. That eagle's thoughts could look like background noise to our instruments. Look at the size of a bee's brain and how it can maneuver and avoid your swats. Could the brain frequency of this creature that predates man be compared to a one gigabyte four core processor vs a Pentium 100 processor. We cannot assume that other creatures are less intelligent than us just because we think we are smarter.

We do not know what the cat's brain does with this information just because we assume the eye is seeing certain things. I never heard of one scientist ever asking a cat what he sees and getting an answer. We do not yet understand things we can not comprehend so we make assumptions based on what we believe to be true. They say a deer can not see orange, yet when I hold up a carrot instead of a potato chunk the doe gets all exited. I cut the potatoes in long chunks about the same overall shape as the carrot and the deer can tell the difference between the two. Can they see the fluorescence of the orange in the carrot itself instead of the color? I don't know, the deer won't tell me.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The smell, maybe?

(Sorry to hear about the TBI and TLE, ricky. Bummer)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

DeepVisions
reply to post by intrptr

Yea, I think what separates the human eye from most others is our need for paying attention to detail. This is probably why the lens in our eyes blocks UV light, so there is less distortion in the things we see.

It's thought that there is a trade off between life-span and ability to see UV light. Creatures like deer can see UV light, but they have a shorter life-span (less than 20 years). Humans can live 100+ years, so we need to avoid the damage to the retina caused by UV light.

There another interesting discovery about cat vision - the nucleii (containing the DNA) of the rod cells in the retina actually act as lenses and focus light to the next retinal cell below.

www.sciencedaily.com...

It's true about humans being able to see infra-red light - I made a couple of "Chronicles of Riddick" goggles using a pair of camera filters (Hoya H72), and could see everything in the same way that a digital camera could. I do wonder if the same would work for UV light and maybe even X-ray wavelengths.

Here's a picture that seems appropriate:

i1.ytimg.com...

edit on 19-2-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

wildtimes

The smell, maybe?

(Sorry to hear about the TBI and TLE, ricky. Bummer)

The exitement in the young doe's eyes when she sees me hold up the carrot through the closed patio door rules that out. At Christmas dinner we were testing the deers ability to see colors. My brother and son-in -law were laughing when they held an orange hat up, the deer came closer to the deck, probably thinking it was a carrot.

The TLE is just an inconvenience, but it did limit my ability to work a lot. I have a nice woodshop. The saws, sanders, planers and jointers noise can scramble my thinking. Tack that to the sawdust vacuum system and it gets kind of bad. I like my fingers, I don't want to mess up and lose them. So much for the retirement job I chose to set up for my old age. Oh well, I can teach my grandchildren to build just about anything with the shop.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Interesting!

It used to be that people thought horses were color-blind. (As well as dogs/cats/etc). Now we know better.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I know that bees and other insects can see ultraviolet markers on plants to literally guide them in to the nectar while brushing them with a good coat of pollen of course!

It actually doesnt surprise me that cats are able to see these wavelengths, i think it has more to do with night time vision than a requirement to see that wavelength.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

The DNR told hunters that deer can't see the fluorescent orange...of course hunters believed them. Maybe the hunters don't question this because the deer keep coming around. Why would a deer be afraid of a big carrot anyway

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

rickymouse
reply to post by wildtimes

The DNR told hunters that deer can't see the fluorescent orange...of course hunters believed them. Maybe the hunters don't question this because the deer keep coming around. Why would a deer be afraid of a big carrot anyway

How cruel would that be, if they did think that?

"OH MY GOD A HUGE CARROT YUMMY!!!

oh crap its an angry american with a small penis and a gun RUN AWAY"

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
i wouldn't be supprised if deer can see orange ( which rhymes with low range )
they don't look up...so wear your orange in a tree stand

thank god im a canadian with a bow....and big feet
edit on 19-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join