It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Website Bug? Broken? (Freezing / Crashing Firefox)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hey everybody,

Has anyone else been having difficulty with the ATS website hanging, freezing, or otherwise locking up Firefox lately? I first noticed it at work (yeah, I sometimes browse ATS at work...) but I figured it was my very outdated work computer. So, then I tried it at home and it is doing the same thing. My work computer has Windows XP, home PC has Windows 8.

And my home computer is a beast. Seriously. 4.6Ghz i7 2600k with 8gb of Ram.

I am not having this issue with ANY other websites—just ATS, and it just started maybe a week or so ago.

Anywho... just wondering if anyone else is getting this. I'm typing on Chrome right now and there doesn't seem to be any issues at all.

Maybe it is an incompatibility with Firefox?

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
maybe the goverment is on a go slow

just like ats got hacked when they shut down

who knows

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

It's just really annoying because I've never had problems with the ATS website before and now it seems to be running slow in Firefox. As I am now browsing in Chrome I can see a big difference in performance...

Strange.

EDIT: But I don't really like Chrome... :/
edit on 18-2-2014 by DarkATi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

DarkATi
reply to post by 999zxcv

It's just really annoying because I've never had problems with the ATS website before and now it seems to be running slow in Firefox. As I am now browsing in Chrome I can see a big difference in performance...

Strange.

EDIT: But I don't really like Chrome... :/
edit on 18-2-2014 by DarkATi because: (no reason given)
i know firefox did a update to x27 i think maybe that is causing the lag

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I have no problem using Firefox. I use the Aurora build of it, though. Which is basically the pre-beta builds that update daily. You could try it out and see how it goes.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkATi

It has been effing up mine a lot!
I almost hate coming here because it freezes up about half the time!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I have been experiencing this too with ATS, but not only on ATS. I do a lot of reading on the web, and I've encountered the problem on several sites.

I don't know what it is. The report when I search for a solution to the problem is something about a plugin causing the crash. I don't know how to fix it.

I use Firefox, but I'm about to look for a new browser!

CdT

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkATi

I would call your internet service provider (ISP) and ask them to point you to a speedtesting website of their own, and see what results you get. Also, find out what bandwidth you have. You should think about getting a better ISP if it is not malware.

Call your ISP first to verify that it is not a bandwidth issue. If you determine that it is not a bandwidth issue and you suspect malware, then this would be the next step:

If you are computer savvy enough to know how to burn an .iso image, download Linux Mint or Ubuntu distributions. Search for the Nero MD5 tool, and download it DIRECTLY from Nero's website, they provide it for free (to verify the image). Burn it to a DVD-R if your computer has a burner, and you have some blank discs.

If it sounds too complex, I can give you some links and steps to take from beginning to end, and I will do it on this thread as it may help others in the future (if you're up for it). If your computer normally runs fast and you suspect no windows malware, then call your ISP and make them fix your bandwidth issues, or switch to a different internet provider.

EDIT: I re-read your OP and decided that your best option would be to try the second half of what I said above. The nice thing about Linux is you can boot into it, have all of your hardware work on your computer-without installing anything to your hard drive at all. Try ATS through the bootable Linux disc, and see how it works for you. As I said if you need help with those steps I will help.
edit on 2/19/2014 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

LOL ,,3-4 other people said they were having same problems in this thread alone ....so unless they all have the same ISP ,,couldnt ya almost rule that out,,,,

I think the culprate is bad script,, most likely from the advertisements,,,alot stuff on pages nowadays doesn't actually load until ya scroll down to it,,,that whats causes alot freeze ups

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Misinformation

Try booting up to a linux installation. Rule out your operating system. Windows is frequently known to have problems and bugs, as are all operating systems. Obviously it's not a problem with your ISP. It takes the ATS page about .2 seconds to render on firefox from Linux. On windows it does take longer to render the pages on ATS for me, that's why I made the suggestion. Please share what ends up working, but I know I gave you a few good tips. Often times people avoid good advice. I would at least try to rule out the OS...And do a test on your RAM with Memtest 86...

It's a fast machine you're running there. Way faster than mine. You should have no problems at all. That's why I think it's an os problem. Are all of your drivers up to date in Windows? I used to be a fairly high level computer tech. Usually this type of advice is very expensive...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Misinformation

Also, make sure that your Flash from Adobe, Java, etc. is all up to date. What are you running for antivirus? What plugins do you have for Firefox? Some plugins or add-ons are known to slow Firefox down because they are coded very badly. If you don't want to try linux, then try booting Firefox in Safe Mode. Firefox Safe Mode can be enabled by clicking the orange Firefox button in the upper-left, then Help, then click on Restart with add-ons disabled. That's Firefox>Help>Restart with add-ons disabled. Some antivirus programs have software buit into Firefox that monitors your web pages for viruses. Often times, those plugins are directly what slows Firefox down. Give these options a try. It won't hurt anything.

Note about updating Adboe Flash: The only time I ever had a page load slowly on ATS was when Flash was out of date (older version than current release) and had more than one Flash clip on the page. Once I updated Flash, everything ran as smooth as butter after that. Hope you fix it.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

DarkATi
Hey everybody,

Has anyone else been having difficulty with the ATS website hanging, freezing, or otherwise locking up Firefox lately? I first noticed it at work (yeah, I sometimes browse ATS at work...) but I figured it was my very outdated work computer. So, then I tried it at home and it is doing the same thing. My work computer has Windows XP, home PC has Windows 8.

And my home computer is a beast. Seriously. 4.6Ghz i7 2600k with 8gb of Ram.

I am not having this issue with ANY other websites—just ATS, and it just started maybe a week or so ago.

Anywho... just wondering if anyone else is getting this. I'm typing on Chrome right now and there doesn't seem to be any issues at all.

Maybe it is an incompatibility with Firefox?

Thoughts?

Glad you mentioned this! I am also having trouble with Firefox crashing as of about a week or so ago.

It is probably not compatible with the new ATS upgrade!

If you had not started this tread I would have probably deleted Firefox and reinstalled it. That, however, would cause be to lose all my bookmarks.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wevebeenassimilated

Look at my post just prevous to this one. I wish one person would try starting firefox with the add-ons disabled, and update everything like I said. If everything is up to date it could be a problem with firefox. I know when I was using Firefox 26 that ATS was a little slow. I am now using Firefox 27 with no problems whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I had the problem that when i opened a reply window the pc used all the processor and performance was pretty bad, a mod told me to disable hardware acceleration in firefox and that worked

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

I have tried Firefox with the Add-ons disabled and that fixes the issue for me. But the strange thing is that I don't have any "odd" plugins or anything. Nor do I have a lot of plugins. So, it must just be an incompatibility with one of them and I'll just deal with it...

Glad to know it isn't the ATS site directly, although I wonder what on the ATS site is conflicting with one of my plugins?

Oh well, thanks for the solution.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkATi

Oops! I spoke (typed!) too soon. I was just browsing the boards with my add-ons disabled and it locked up again. Now, I am back to using Chrome.

By the way, my Firefox is up to date and my internet speed is not the issue. The actual application (Firefox) is freezing. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of it through Task Manager.

Hrmph... silly Firefox.

top topics

join