It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US says terror attacks may be imminent in India, warns citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The United States government has issued a terror warning for two cities in India. Stating that an attack on U.S. interests may be imminent in the cities of New Delhi and Bombay. They further indicated that diplomatic offices in Bombay would be closed as a precaution. The warning, while lacking any specifics indicated that: "Facilities associated with the United States or locations where US citizens and other foreigners congregate or visit, including residential areas, business offices, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, hotels and public areas, could be targeted,"

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States warned terrorist attacks on US interests may be imminent in the Indian cities of New Delhi and Bombay and said it would temporarily close some diplomatic offices in Bombay as a precaution.
Based on information received by the US government, terrorists may be planning attacks on US interests in India in the near future," the US embassy in New Delhi and consulate in Bombay said in a notice to Americans.

"Although not specific, the information suggests that an attack could be aimed at US interests in the cities of New Delhi or Mumbai (Bombay)," the missions said.

A copy of the notice was provided to AFP in Washington by the State Department and posted to the website of the US consulate in Bombay which said it would close its consular section and the Information Resource Center at the American Center there on Tuesday because of the potential threat.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I�m not surprised that there are threats to targets outside of the Middle East. It seems much more likely that terrorist would rather go after those targets because they may be easier to operate in those countries than in the United States. However, my own experiences with airport security have me full of doubts as well.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I wish they would say how imminent is imminet. Hours,days,months? Anyways I really hope they can stop these attacks from happening. Is there any word on what kind of attacks they are expecting?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Those idiiots in the whitehouse.....

I'am sorry for my language, but this is gone to far. These people could not even predict any of the attacks on themselves, yet have the audacity to predict something such as this.

If anyone knows India's history, we will find that if such an attack were to occur, or if the non-islamic populace of India were to be driven into a perpetual state of paranioa and islamaphobia, we could have a major crisis on our hand..

This is blatant propaganda. Come one, if they were smart they would have informed the Government of India, not the public. Do you think telling the public will have any effect? What do you expect them to do when they are given a vauge warning with no precise date and time?

www.irib.ir...
indianterrorism.150m.com...

The city was on heightened alert as the Hindutva movement had threatened to turn the city upside down if the leader of the Shiv Sena, Bal Thackeray, was arrested as threatened by Bombay police. The Maharashrate state authorities, led by the Congress party, was acting on the basis of the Srikrishna Commission report.

The report released in June found Thackeray responsible for inciting attacks on Muslims which resulted in the butchering of between 800 and 1700 Muslims in Bombay during 1992-93, in the wake of the Babri Masjid destruction.

The momentum gained by the Hindutva movement with the destruction of the Babri Masjid on December 2, 1992 has emboldened the movement to reach greater heights. But the suffering of Muslims did not start with the destruction of the mosque built in 1528. They have been suffering since 1947. Since then, the community has had to witness the destruction, occupation or conversion of more than 7,000 mosques. To date, they have also been victims of more than 16,000 "communal riots", a euphemism for anti-Muslim pogroms since partition.

www.indianterrorism.150m.com...
www.ploughshares.ca...

2003 The large scale violence of 2002 did not recur. Frequent clashes between the state�s Muslim and Hindu communities continued however, reportedly resulting in fewer than 100 deaths, the majority resulting from an August bomb attack in Bombay . The anti-Islamic bias of Gujarat �s state police and judiciary in bringing to justice those responsible for the previous year�s violence resulted in further animosity between the two groups.

2002 Thousands of people died in violent confrontations between Hindus and Muslims. The conflict began in February when a Muslim mob set fire to a train carrying Hindus heading to a disputed religious site, killing 59 people and initiating a cycle of statewide Muslim and Hindu retaliation attacks that claimed over 2,000, mostly Muslim, lives. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), a Hindu nationalist party, won state elections in December .

This could have dire ramnifications. The ignorance of this current administration is reeking...

Deep

[edit on 23-11-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The one thing that does not make sense is the choice of target area against the U.S. all we could have there is a small embassy in New Delhi and a smaller Consulat Office in Bombay. It makes no sense.
What does make sense is that is where the information originated. The best strike against the U.S. would have to be in Bangalore, where America's Computer Headquarters are located Hewlet Packard, Texas Instruments, Symantec, etc....
100's of targets. It is outsource City for our tech industries.
A concerted attack their could seriously damage our tech infrastructure. And AQ has training camps in Bangaladesh set up with the help of Pakistan's ISI.

Bear

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Having been to both cities and given the population density in the urban areas, a car bomb on the magnatude of the Oklahoma City blast would be devestating in the amount of civilian casulties it would cause. I for one would be nervous living around any of those embassies.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Why ppl care anymore? I have read about 1 terror warning per week and to this date they have been bs. Before elections us warned that around baltic there could be terror attacks etc. I will give a moment of thought to those warnings after one warning would happen. I very much doubt it.
-ap

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Fred,
True. However I believe AQ has changed footing from simple terror to tactical. Their ultimate objective is to destroy America and the best and fastest way is to bring down our financial system. The use of terror was for some form of capitulation on our part.
WTC accomplishes three tasks severe damage to our economy, terror, and drawing us into a quagmire in the Middle East. Where they could whittle away at the Evil Satan. As they are doing. They certainly have studied Che Guevara.
Bombay and Delhi, in my mind, would be disinformation, a feint. Bring down the technology of Wall Street or a large portion of it. Hit the U.S. where it hurts, in the wallet.

Polar Bear

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Polar Bear]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Aape,

Just because terror attacks don't materialize it doesn't mean the threats aren't real - it's a tribute to the fact that a lot of dedicated men and women are working around the clock to keep you safe.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
i�m safe without somebody working in us government/cia. It�s just keeping your public on toes. There will not be a terrorist attack until it would accomplish something..And it�s going to be when least expected and target is going to be someplace no one could imagine forehand. It�s just the rules of the game, i wouldn�t be surprised at all if it would come to a public awareness that bin laden is paid by same government who is his enemy. The last tape came out just at the perfect time to boost bush vote percentage.
-ap

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I feel there is a good chance that India will suffer from a WMD attack. Remember, Bin Laden�s goal is NOT to destroy the west (not yet at least). Instead he wants to create a united Islamic world. He wants to do this by destroying the current political mechanisms that are in place there.

A WMD attack on India (especially a nuke with possible Pakistani origins) would be an excellent way to have the current Pakistani government removed as well as destroy a large segment of Hindu population.

Think of it from his point of view, he has a hostile Pakistani government cooperating with the United States. The Arab world has slowly begun to fall in line with our wishes and the general perception is that he is losing the war.

Therefore he probably no longer has the means vis a vi popular or reliable underground support to deliver a nuclear device across a large distance. But he has good localized support in the immediate region. So his best choice is to vaporize a good chunk of one of India�s cities.

He and his allies are sitting in caves far from populated Pakistani cities so what does he care if the nukes fly? India invades, 7-10 cities on both sides go poof and chaos ensues. This is a perfect power vacuum for Al Qaeda to step into.

Right now he is cornered. He knows his time is running out and that his organization needs to do something quickly.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Sorry Mr. Nice,

You are great with international finance and monetary issues. You are sorely lacking in Guerrilla Warfare Tactics. He has all the time in the world and can impact our psyche with an e-mail. We are cornered he is not. Our targets stick out like a freak'in middle finger. He has no targets. He moves like a cat we move like an Aircraft Carrier. He has a million disguises we wear uniforms. He can strike anywhere anytime with stealth. We can't go anywhere without 5000 troops minimum.
That beard is in all probability something he wears for the camera. He could be standing next to you. No one knows what he looks like. His mother probably does not even know anymore. He needs no food or water he lives on adrenaline.
He has either out foxed the worlds most powerfully intelligence agencies or they are working for him or vice a versa. Go figure. He could be dead and the Bsatrads still vibrant. No one knows where he stands. If he studied Che he knows to allow no one to get close for that is the one that will sell him out.
Right now he has India and the USA with their shorts in a bunch and he is probably getting laid in Bangkok posing as a western industrialist.
He is good at what he does. Give the Devil his due. Ever wonder why Bush laughed and said he didn't care where bin Laden was. He said it on TV. Georgie ain't no genius. He is not in control of this Nation, think about it.

Polar Bear

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Huria86
I wish they would say how imminent is imminet. Hours,days,months? Anyways I really hope they can stop these attacks from happening. Is there any word on what kind of attacks they are expecting?

imminent is as long as it takes for the US to get their lackies inplace to carry out the threat. (Gee why would the US want to hurt India? ... hrmm)

as for "can't go anywhere without 5000 troops minimum"
Thats total BS, the people who actually do something (Spies)
are all over the place, disguised, BY THEMSELVES.... Your completely wrong
its those spies who are going all over the place causing all these problems... Give someone freedom and a different identity and what do they do? They TERRORIZE.

[edit on 23/11/04 by dnero6911]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Polar,

Best intelligence indicates that Bin Laden is hiding in North Eastern Pakistan. The US Military has been quietly conducting raids into that region since early 2004. Some analyst predict an invasion of Northern Pak in 2005.

Don�t be distracted by Iran, that�s just noise. Pakistan is where the real things are happening.

The United States is being very very quiet about Pakistan, for a reason.

Iran does not dare harbor Bin Laden, they have much too much to lose. No other Arab country will touch him. Please keep in mind that the Arab intelligence agencies are now (for the most part) are on our side when it comes to Bin Laden, even Syria. They would LOVE to be the ones to hand him over to us. Can you imagine? It�s like a get out of jail free card for the regime that nabs him. They�ll have serious political clout with the Western World for ending this mess.

No�Bin Laden is Dead Man Walking�and he knows it. He's in a bear trap and that is why I think he's willing to gnaw his own foot off to escape.

[edit on 11/23/2004 by MrNice]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I doubt highly that Iran would take him in. First as the above poster pointed out, its too high of a political price.

The other issue is more simplistic. He is a Sunni, Iran by and large is Shiite. The differnece may seem trival, but to those of that faith, they are hugely important. Remember that the Taliban were shunned by the Iranians as well.

Lastly people tend to forget that Bin laden is an Arab, but Iranian are no Arabs. Indo European s the term I beleive.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I think this is a case of incitement. I believe there are certain people who just don't want Pakistan and India, Muslims and Hindus living in peace.

By inciting the fear of terror attacks in India, the probability of muslim/hindu clashes greatly increases and it seems to me that there are people on all sides hoping to incite a great religious war on many fronts.

(oops, i submitted before finishing)

As for US interests in India being targets for terrorism, it is obvious to me that India would be one of the countries where that possibility is always there and is greater than lets say US interests in Barbados. Attacks on US interests in India has always been imminent, most logic people already know this, so by making this "news" is just inciting fear.

[edit on 11-23-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Mr. Nice, I agree everything we read indicates that is where he is or should be.
On the other hand nothing is as it seems. And disinformation is rampant everywhere. It is an art form.
I came across this article that implies India is actually behind the recent terrorist threats and actions against their country. Sort of their Pearl Harbor event to substantiate a war. It would seem it is a fad

'What a twisted web we weave'

The sole beneficiary of such an act is India, who is using this incident to malign allegedly present Pakistan friendly government in Bangladesh, and is associating this bomb blast with Islamic fundamentalists to attract International Community�s attention.

It is also noteworthy that claims regarding recovery of two bombs from the blast site near Dhaka Jail and Hawkers� market to be of Pakistani origin and ISI�s involvement in this particular incident not only helps RAW fight negative perceptions among masses of Bangladesh about RAW and Indian involvement in internal political affairs of Bangladesh, but also fulfills the aim to disrupt political process of a Pakistani friendly Government in Bangladesh. Since Khalida Zia set up a high level probe committee to investigate the incident, the Indian High Commission and International Community was requested by Hasina Wajid to investigate the matter through Interpol, an internal matter of Bangladesh.

RAW is an abbreviation for Research Analyst Wing. An Indian Intelligence Agency excelling low intensity Urban Warfare in South Asia. It employees analysts, economists, journalists, psychologists to assist in its operations.
etc......................

www.paknews.org...

Now this is from a Pak Paper accusing India. I had to read it twice to come close to getting a hint of the witting between the lines. Talk about intrigue it is better than a novel

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Polar Bear]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Nevermind, US interests in India, India by itself is a taget by the "terrorists" as Bin Laden explicitly stated by calling India, along wth Israel an enemy.

I can see what US fear mongering is doing. It is trying to divide India and upset India and Pakistan's dialogue, by creating rifts between Hindus and muslims and inciting a civil war(it seems to be doing that everywhere, including Iraq, and even at home) Now according to US foreign policy, the following will happen:

1. After a bloody civil war it will intevene as mediator
2. After an Indo-pak war it will intervene as mediator

However, you have no idea what would happen if an India and Pakistan full-scale war were to erupt now. It will most certainly go nuclear, and it would embroil the entire world into a world wide war. I think I can see what the US is trying to do.

top topics

join