It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marines evaluating a possible replacement for the Beretta

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Well, hard choice in a certain way for me....

P90 has a larger rounds, but they both do a great deal of damage, though, as far as I know, I think the MP7 CAN'T
be equiped with a silencer unlike the P90 and it's 5.7mm, in my opinion, if they find a way, STRAP A SILENCER ON THE MP7, AND THERE U GO, it's smaller, so it's easier to concel, so it's somewhat better for Special Ops, although, I know this would be next to impossible in MANY WAYS[
], but if u could strap a GL like those Russian Sizes GP-25s or something, on the MP7, and u can still fire it from 1 hand,
, yay, but that would be RRRRREEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYY HHHHAAAAARRRRRRDDDDD AT BEST!!!!!!!!!
O'well, my choice is obviously: the MP7

P.S. I wonder y rn't there these in any of those "Splinter Cell" Games. I dunno, haven't played any, but I haven't heard about any in them.

[edit on 5-12-2004 by SEAL Trident]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I mentioned this thread to my dad whose in the Marines, and he said that the Marines are looking at submachine guns to replace the handguns for those who wouldn't normally be issued rifles, not because of range or stopping power, but because of the lack of firepower a handgun offers. Personally I'd prefer a P90.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by replicators
I mentioned this thread to my dad whose in the Marines, and he said that the Marines are looking at submachine guns to replace the handguns for those who wouldn't normally be issued rifles, not because of range or stopping power, but because of the lack of firepower a handgun offers. Personally I'd prefer a P90.

And your father and his collegues, which one do they prefer? Any hint to who the winner is likely to be?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The MP7A1 has a suppressor and sight on it although I dont know the specs for it.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
He dosen't know, not his MOS. But he knows that ever since the baretta was chosen people have complained for lack of firepower. The SMG would be issued much like the M-1 carbine in WWII.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEAL Trident
Well, hard choice in a certain way for me....

P90 has a larger rounds, but they both do a great deal of damage, though, as far as I know, I think the MP7 CAN'T
be equiped with a silencer unlike the P90 and it's 5.7mm

[edit on 5-12-2004 by SEAL Trident]

Theres a company that makes a supressor for the FN-90 I think its called gemtech a very big name in the silencer market. But anyways they made a silencer for the FN-90 that is quieter then a supressed MP-5 and even some supressed .22 rifles. Thats saying alot if you ever heard any of those guns fired with a silencer.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
In response to the initial post, I preferred the M1911 Colt .45, but only because I thought it was a nice pistol.

Replacing the Beretta, especially with something of that size would be a bad idea in my opinion. The 9mm NATO round was picked up to replace the .45 round to reduce weight and increase magazine capacity.

I don't think that range would be an issue to consider, since you aren't going to be using a .45 or a 9mm at ranges outside 50-60 meters unless its all you have left, and if it is, you better be waiting to fire until you see the whites of their eyes anyway.

"Punch" isn't really a factor either, since we are trained to release 2 rounds at a time when firing at a target. Two well placed 9mm rounds at close combat range is going to do the same thing as two well placed .45 rounds, which is kill a man. The benefit of the 9mm over the .45 after a 2 round volley of fire is that you will have 10 9mm rounds left in your magazine as opposed to 6 (or 7) .45 rounds.

For these reasons, I really thing the 9mm round is the way to go. They could probably very easily find a better weapon to launch those bullets, and an improvement that I would look for in a replacement would be a higher capacity magazine. Maybe 16 or 18 rounds. Possibly the advent of a 2 round burst capability for MOUT operations for the sidearm could be a good improvement as well.

But hey, if your lieutenant, your RTO, or your machine gunner is clearing a room in a hostile occupied building, you're hurtin' anyway.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
The PM-63 is a side arm of many GROM soldiers and uses a 9mm Parabellum bullet that packs a punch Mag cap. is 25

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
The MP7A1 has a suppressor and sight on it although I dont know the specs for it.

BOUT TIME!!!! I also heard though that the MP7A1 fires 6.5mm Rounds, and if so, how many per mag?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join