It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Send NEW Rover to the Moon in 2018 to Mine Water

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ok now let me get this straight... so now all of a sudden it is feasible to make fuel from water?
Sure wish they could do that here on earth!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I am no scientist ( Surely some will say my opinion means squat because of that) but i suppose it would be unforeseen events that I am afraid of. It starts off innocently with just a few gallons of water, then more interests start becoming involved. Operations become cheaper and more competitive... who knows where we end up from there, anyone who claims to know exactly how this will all play out is fool hearted IMHO (sorry mod, i have a crappy vocab)

What throws me for a loop is that some actually believe we have no choice BUT to mine off world. What happened to figuring a way to live sustainably here? Have we solved our issues with out of control greed and "never enough profit" mentalities? If we do not fix that first then I don't understand how you can expect things to go any better off world. What industry has not pushed itself to the brink here on earth? They all did it and I doubt they will do any different up there once it becomes cost effective.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm kinda hoping that one day, nasa will finally get it right and build a drone that has a purpose. soemthing that we all need nasa to do. a mission for the ages. someday, nasa is going to build a drone that will spend decades completing it's task, which is to launch into space from cape kennedy, make a soft landing at cape kennedy, deploy, and immediately go about, mining for intelligence, at nasa !

edit on 2182014 by tencap77 because: spelling.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

alienreality
I never thought I would live to see the day where we would have "moon huggers" I remember tree huggers and it was a nasty business..

Nasty business is what we were left with when everyone decided to ignore them.

I am all for progress but not with the ugly bunch running things today. We need a change in leadership traits before I believe we should go any further.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

MALBOSIA

alienreality
I never thought I would live to see the day where we would have "moon huggers" I remember tree huggers and it was a nasty business..

I am all for progress but not with the ugly bunch running things today. We need a change in leadership traits before I believe we should go any further.

You won't get any argument from me on that.. What we have running things now is like Osama with his finger on the doomsday bomb detonator..
If they really can utilize water on the moon for fuel, then they must be hiding technology that can take advantage of water that far away.. The whole thing stinks..

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MALBOSIA

That's still a very vague answer.

Going to the moon, establishing a actual settlement there is not all for profit. It gets the human race off of the third rock from the sun.

It's important that we at some point finally do this, as the clock is ticking. It's not IF another ELE (extinction level event) happens. It's more of "when" the next one happens.

And we don't know the "when" part. We do know that there are a LOT of things out there that could wipe our species off the face of the Earth. And if Earth is the only place we are, then: that's all she wrote for the human race.

Some people will say things like:

"We're not ready! We need to fix every thing here first!"

However, the Earth has it's own agenda. It's not going to wait on us. Neither is that asteroid. Neither is that hyper nova, or our own sun. While we are busy trying to "fix" everything here, something could come along that we have no power to stop and that will be the end of us.

Gee, too bad we spent all that time trying to "fix" everything.

There is nothing wrong with establishing humans on the moon. There are resources there we could use here, like Helium 3 that is not here in abundance, but is on the moon. Different types of research that can be done in a hard vacuum and low gravity, and:

having a jump off point for interplanetary ships. Much easier to launch from the moon, or from lunar orbit than from the surface of the Earth.

So again, I'm still not quite understanding exactly what you're afraid of. You keep saying that things will basically get out of control.

What exactly is it that would get out of control?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

alienreality

MALBOSIA

alienreality

You won't get any argument from me on that.. What we have running things now is like Osama with his finger on the doomsday bomb detonator..
If they really can utilize water on the moon for fuel, then they must be hiding technology that can take advantage of water that far away.. The whole thing stinks..

I too agree. The article didn't sound like a water based propulsion was even a task. They just need water and bada bing bada boom. I'd like to know how, there is a lot of water down here....

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

eriktheawful
reply to post by MALBOSIA

That's still a very vague answer.

Going to the moon, establishing a actual settlement there is not all for profit. It gets the human race off of the third rock from the sun.

It's important that we at some point finally do this, as the clock is ticking. It's not IF another ELE (extinction level event) happens. It's more of "when" the next one happens.

And we don't know the "when" part. We do know that there are a LOT of things out there that could wipe our species off the face of the Earth. And if Earth is the only place we are, then: that's all she wrote for the human race.

Some people will say things like:

"We're not ready! We need to fix every thing here first!"

However, the Earth has it's own agenda. It's not going to wait on us. Neither is that asteroid. Neither is that hyper nova, or our own sun. While we are busy trying to "fix" everything here, something could come along that we have no power to stop and that will be the end of us.

This is a pretty big topic on it's own. I'm not trying to stand higher ground, I have been the biggest culprit on this thread after all. I partly agree with you, and I will try to make this brief.

Gee, too bad we spent all that time trying to "fix" everything.

There is nothing wrong with establishing humans on the moon. There are resources there we could use here, like Helium 3 that is not here in abundance, but is on the moon. Different types of research that can be done in a hard vacuum and low gravity, and:

having a jump off point for interplanetary ships. Much easier to launch from the moon, or from lunar orbit than from the surface of the Earth.

So again, I'm still not quite understanding exactly what you're afraid of. You keep saying that things will basically get out of control.

What exactly is it that would get out of control?

See, your having visions of things that might benefit what you think is important. Others will too. And any grand ideas you might have that benefit man kind in some positive way, will be swallowed up and spat out by those that have infinite times more power and influence than and over you.

We are not going to publicly execute a planet exit strategy. If imminent danger was ever detected. People will be murdered. Information will be suppressed and IF those "in the know" stop screwing each other long enough to execute an extremely "black" OP on your dollar, a few "humans" might make it off this rock.

Maybe I am a little pessimistic...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

They've paved paradise and put up a water-to-fuel extraction system.

Great news, and thanks again for bringing us great news. Will this new Rover have all the cameras and testing devices as well? It will be lots of fun to see it driving around and examining Moon lizards and camels and whirly things (Mars and the moon can have a bake off).

On another thread you mentioned that you'd like us to help look at Moon pictures for anomalies, would those pictures be from satellites or using the old moon walk photos? When this Rover starts roving (unless it's made in China ((will they ever live that down)) ) it can give us lots of things to eyeball.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I imagine the fungineers at nasa who are responsible for the incredibly STUPID programs like mars rover and the international waste station are incapable of understanding the concpet that you don't "build" a space station. You fly to the one that laready exists and drop off a "space-yurt". The Moon is a space station. one day, there will be SOMEONE who is NOT an idiot working at nasa, they'll be walking out to they're car one night, look up, see the Moon, and go "hey? ..." nasa. and people think obamacare is a HUGE waste of money !

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

MALBOSIA

What throws me for a loop is that some actually believe we have no choice BUT to mine off world.

If you want to build space stations, moon bases and other cool stuff in space its FAR cheaper to mine stuff in the 1/6th Earth Gravity environment of the moon to you know, use it on the moon or send it into space with less cost and energy than boosting everything we'd need in space from Earth.

Why do people keep thinking these ideas of mining the moon and asteroids are to send stuff back to the Earth? It's not. It's so that stuff is cheaper and easier to build in space.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by JadeStar

On another thread you mentioned that you'd like us to help look at Moon pictures for anomalies, would those pictures be from satellites or using the old moon walk photos?

It would be to look through current and archived Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Imagery which is pretty good. Good enough to spot the Jade Rabbit

Here's the article I referred to: Are Aliens On The Moon? Scientists Want YOU To Join The Search

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Hmmm You need an huge amount of energy for that...

I dont't know why, but I presume that Before H2O Nasa go for H3...

edit on 19-2-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Blastoff
Ok now let me get this straight... so now all of a sudden it is feasible to make fuel from water?
Sure wish they could do that here on earth!

We can.

We'd just end up spending more energy that what we'd get back from using the fuel on Earth.

In space we can harness the full power of the sun to convert water into fuel. Solar power is much more effective in space or on an airless body like the moon.
edit on 19-2-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Arken
Hmmm You need an huge amount of energy for that...

I dont't know why, but I presume that Before H2O Nasa go for H3...

edit on 19-2-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

H20 is essentially easy to get in water ice.

H3 is a bit trickier to get in lunar soil.

There is no use for H3 at present.

In a future with fusion reactors which use H3 then yes H3 will be sought.

But for now what NASA is looking to do is make drinkable water and rocket fuel.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

JadeStar

Correct.

But i wouldn't call that silicon rock useless. It can be made into lunar concrete fairly easily.

You know what I mean.

It not usefull in the fact we are not going to mine every last microgram of silicon out of it or need to export it off the moon.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

MALBOSIA

Define how what i said wad ignorant?

Because We cant hurt the moon period, at least not unless you really really realy tried. everything you said was wrong.

MALBOSIA
Ignorant would be failing to live sustainable and then making the same stupid mistake on another rock.

1) You cant over exploit the moon!
2) Who cares about being enviromentaly sustainable on the moon, THERE NO ENVIROMENT!
3) Learning to export all our worst industrys and minning off world to the dead rocks in our solar system would save the planet!
4) The only way we are going to be sustainble trapped on earth is to give up all our tec and modern living or kill 6.5 billion people. So either you smash up your laptop and all you tec right here and now and go live in a cave or remove yourself from the popluation problem, No dont fancy that do you? Well keep out the way of scientists trying to fix the issues.

MALBOSIA
Ignorant would be failing to live sustainable and then making the same stupid mistake on another rock. Actually sounds more retarded than ignorant.

Read the 4 points above.

To live with the current tec and development will never be sustainble on earth. We need to move out into the solar system. Your hippy crap dont wash. Especialy on dead rocks like the moon or mars which dont have a atmospohere or a toxic one so we cant ruin it.

MALBOSIA
Like I said. It is a slippery slope. It will start with "a little water" just like we started with a little oil or a little plutonium.

Again BS.

MALBOSIA
Doesnt matter. The moon doesnt have a envrioment to pollute!
What are you going to do if you find out your wrong? Say sorry?

Im not wrong.

Its simple science.

Moon has a huge mass.

Moon has no envrioment.

so
1) We wont be able to shift it from orbit unless you denoated millions of nukes at its core.
2)It has no envrioment so you cant pollute it.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

alienreality

I know right?

Its pathetic

Hippys make me laugh. They want to save the world but as soon as science move to do something they throw a tantrum.

And most of them have shiny new laptops and electronic gadgets

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

MALBOSIA
I am no scientist

clearly.

MALBOSIA
it would be unforeseen events that I am afraid of.

Like what?

MALBOSIA
It starts off innocently with just a few gallons of water, then more interests start becoming involved. Operations become cheaper and more competitive... who knows where we end up from there,

With a whole civilsation moved out into the solar system. Thats were.

MALBOSIA
What throws me for a loop is that some actually believe we have no choice BUT to mine off world. What happened to figuring a way to live sustainably here?

We cant. Unless we drasticaly reduce the population or go back to the stone age. You volenteer?

MALBOSIA
Have we solved our issues with out of control greed and "never enough profit" mentalities? If we do not fix that first then I don't understand how you can expect things to go any better off world. What industry has not pushed itself to the brink here on earth? They all did it and I doubt they will do any different up there once it becomes cost effective.

Thats the thing. It likley will fix that.

Our solar system as such a abundance of resources. And abundance is a understatement. There so much there no reason for greed, competition for resources is pointless.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I wonder if the moon collects the same amount of space dust/meteor weight as the Earth does every day? would that balance the amount extracted from the moon, as regards weight of?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join