It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek God Apollo by diving fisherman in the waters off Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Thought this was interesting & wanted to share:
Wouldn’t this be a catch?

www.dailystar.com.lb...

pix11.com...
CNN has a video of the find: www.cnn.com...
Hope they at least get it in electrolysis bath soon!!!
Makes ya wonder what else they might find diving out there…

I did a search if this has already been posted please remove or add to a previous thread.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekingDepth

What a shame it's deteriorating so fast.
Hopefully it will get some attention soon. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Too bad that Palestinian fisherman will likely never see any reward for his find. The state seized it and it will probably reappear in an Israeli museum soon, since the find occurred offshore of Gaza.
edit on 18-2-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Boy, there seems to be a lot of corruption in that new government. It is still for sale I see, if someone comes up with the money. Now the government's forces took this statue from the finder and sold it to gain personal profit? That shows you what kind of people seized power. That is a historical treasure, if it was a good government it would be in a safe place right now and it would be at least stabalized. It looks like the corruption goes right to the top. Mindset of the ones in power. All national treasures belong to them, not the people.

Hmmm. Isn't Apollo supposed to be guarding the gates of hell? Maybe disease and pestilence will break out in the world.

Those don't look like bay leaves on the crown, are they sure that is Apollo?
edit on 18-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I was wondering too, how for sure they know it is Apollo though it sure looks a lot like other statues & images of Apollo. A lot of them have that really curly hair and that stunning male form with his package visibly for all to see.
www.bing.com...
Found another article which states there may be some doubt that the find was in the water. Also says that both the fisherman & his brother severed two fingers off early in the find to take to a metals expert to see what the metal was made from. (Darn It!!!!! Just sad something like this is damaged.) I guess they were thinking riches.
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
You mean riches like selling this priceless artifact for bronze scrap|||||||||||||||||||||?

Ye gads, maybe its a good thing the gov boys stole it from the brothers....they may have hacksawed it to shreds....

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

It appears to be of high copper content. Bronze does not deteriorate that fast, unless of course they just hauled it around and didn't clean it off at all. Maybe they scuffed all the barnacles off...oh that's right, barnacles don't form on copper. They use copper paint to paint the bottom of ships sometimes. I have some of that marine paint.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hey, the statue has the same color eyes as I have. Neat. It's probably that color because of the copper oxides.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The fact that this statue has an eye left intact is another great condition of this find due to many of the bronze statues have lost them.

“The ancient Greeks and Romans frequently added eyes inset with glass or stones, teeth and fingernails inlaid with silver, and lips and nipples inlaid with copper, all of which contributed to a bronze statue's astonishingly lifelike appearance.”
Link: www.metmuseum.org...

“Another finishing step was the addition of other metals, such as copper nipples and silver or gold for the lips and jewelry. Enamel or glass was often inset in the eyes to give them a realistic appearance and fine strands of copper were sometimes used as eyelashes and eyebrows.
Link: library.thinkquest.org...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekingDepth

It's a shame that they melted down most of the statues in the past for the metals. Good articles you linked.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer
Too bad that Palestinian fisherman will likely never see any reward for his find. The state seized it and it will probably reappear in an Israeli museum soon, since the find occurred offshore of Gaza.

Israel did not seize it.

The Palestinian government (Hamas) seized it, where It apparently ended up on ebay.
edit on 18-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Xcathdra

Blackmarketeer

Israel did not seize it.

The Palestinian government (Hamas) seized it, where It apparently ended up on ebay.

They won't respond to that .. I bet they all go silent on the subject now.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Xcathdra

Blackmarketeer

Israel did not seize it.

Par for the course...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Xcathdra

OccamsRazor04

Xcathdra

Blackmarketeer

Israel did not seize it.

Par for the course...

Yep, it's only bad if Israel did it ... now that Hamas did it they must have done so to fight Israel so it's GOOD!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Still no news as to exactly who has the statue & where it currently is but found a BBC article with pics of the backside.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I came across this documentary regarding the Gaza Apollo. Every once in a while I recheck if there is any new info on this mystery & was shocked that a documentary was made. I do think that the mystery remains but have only watched the trailer.

www.akkafilms.ch...

If anyone has seen the actual documentary or has heard anything of the statues whereabouts, authenticity, etc. please share.
edit on 24-9-2020 by SeekingDepth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join