It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you eat the ends of packaged loaves of bread; are they safe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I rarely even prepared non-raw vegan foods at home, but when at work or on the road, I hate to refuse a vegan meal as a guest just because it has something cooked in it.

Luckily, I never been offered the ends of the loaf of bread; it's sort of like the 'butts' of the bread, aint it?

A gal I was discussing food preparation was telling me to cut off the the top, bottom and sides too! She said its not just for better taste but edges and the ends of the bread all get exposed to the plastic or paper that touch it while it is rather hot.

Does anyone else avoid the ends and/or edges of packaged bread; is it as safe to eat as the innards of the loaf?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
My husband steals the "heels" of the bread all the time. I fuss, because it makes the bread stale....but of course he still does it. He says it's his favorite part. I have never eaten them. Except for that time I was living on my own at 17 and that was all I had left with a dab of PB, but I digress.

I have never heard of anything being wrong with any of it personally. Thought I am sure there is, as there seems to be something wrong with everything I eat these days.

My mom still cuts the crust off of my dad's sandwiches. Other than that everyone I know eats all of the bread.
edit on 2/17/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Are you saying that you think that the bread melts the bag? I have never heard of that, never seen anything like that. sounds like that girl might have melted her brain a little....

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
My dog loves them.

I play frisbee, he catches it and down it goes into his rather large tummy.

Only takes two bites.

P

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What? That is the best part. Full of acrylamides that taste great. Why would someone want to get rid of those, that part doesn't dope you up as much as the asparaganes (doping chemical) which converts to acrylamides during the mallard reaction. A little won't hurt you, too much can have negative effects. The asparagane doping chemistry is a natural mellow buzz. Too much of that is not good either.
edit on 17-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
My son has eaten the heel of the bread since he was young, & still does.....nothing wrong with it IMO.....I personally don't care for crust or the bread ends....

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with eating the butt ends of the bread for me, and nor do I see it being any health related issue but more a personal choice.

In my case, It really depends on the type of bread or brand. I love homemade breads and will eat any part of it.... Sourdough is the best in my opinion, along with wholegrain bread or Rye with grains and oats mixed in with the crust covered in seeds and whole grain goodness........ Mmmmmmm

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't know about healthy, but I absolutely love the ends. My family thinks it's crazy for whatever reason.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

What exactly do you do with french bread or chiabatta or challah... I have worked baking breads and we never put the bread in the bag hot enough to cause any plastic releases... It would fog up the bag... Besides that the crust is yummy.

Just eat the food.

But if you are super vegan sometimes breads do have egg and/or butter on the outside part.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Not sure if this is a serious thread or not?
Are you seriously worrying about the end of a loaf of bread?

If you're worried about the plastic touching your bread why would you cut the 'protective' layer out? Sides, ends etc?
Wouldn't that just contaminate the 'nice' bread you're after on the inside?

I have no idea why it wouldn't be unsafe to eat, unless you have a friend who you worked with who knew someone who knew someone who also knew someone else that knew something about the end crusts of bread that we should not know about?

Personally, I'm not a fan. Unless it's toasted and has Vegemite and butter on it!

Take off your tin foil hat and don't waste your time posting threads like this.

I have no idea why I bothered to reply to such a thread- makes me wonder what type of people are on here some days. Ugh,

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
They are great toasted a bit well done, but not burnt, then butter them up with real butter. They are a bit chewier than the rest of the loaf of bread, that's why I like them personally..

They are safe unless someone has poisoned them like you might see happen in China.. That only happens when the bakers there run out of flour and start using rat poison as a replacement..
edit on 17-2-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I only eat bread I make at home, for the most part. If you are worried about eating the crust off store bought bread, invest in a bread machine. Plus your home will smell delightful while it's baking.

Then you can eat all the wonderful tasty crust with no worries at all. BTW, I think your friend is being a bit silly in their telling you to cut all the crust off a loaf of bread.

Des

edit on 17-2-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
For realz?
Heels+Nutella+Large glass of milk=Pure bliss

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
If they wrapped the bread while it was still warm, it would steam the inside of the bag and turn everything into mush; so no, they pack them once they've cooled off a bit.

And the heel of a good loaf of bread is the best part! That and real butter, yum!

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The best bread will have the best crust. If you eat stuff like Wonder Bread or other cheap flour-cake, it makes no difference where you eat from.

I've enjoyed the thread, thanks for posting it. Fellow vegan here, but I do love my cooked beans and rice.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Is this an early April prank thread? o.O

I don't like the texture of the heels of the loaf, it's firmer and denser to me than the rest of the loaf, and it's not a texture I like overall. But I'll eat it if that's all that's left. And frankly, I think you & your nutty buddy pal might want to be more concerned with what's on the outside of the bag rather than in it. Just imagine, all the people at any given time of year (let alone cold/flu season) walking by it sneezing, coughing, touching it with grimy hands. Where you put your hands.

Yeah, think about all those donated germs. *devious chuckle*

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

April fool joke, ha. I did one last year (I don't plan on doing any this year) that caught a poster who had actually put up a thread that he wasn't going to get fooled "this year".

No, bread is a big issue, especially to vegans and those who watch what they eat and how it is prepared. I was once in a store that was handing out samples of bread, and happily I noticed that it had pieces of ham in it. I did the "talk to the manager" thing and got them to stop handing out samples of that particular bread. So who knows. But I do love the ends of bread, the crust, especially if its really good home-cooked bread.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Is the concern more exposure to plastic gas leeching?

I prefer the ends. I also don't peel the crust off the other slices.

As for health and bread in general. Sure there is lots of controversy there. Check out the paleo diet.
edit on 17-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
You have nothing to worry about. The bread is allowed to cool before it is packaged. It really just comes down to personal preference if you want to eat the heels of the bread and the crust. I almost think you're joking.

Here's a video. Skip to 4 minutes and watch.

I think there is very little to worry about with store bought bread. I would caution you not to leave the bag on a heated surface, I did once on top of the toaster oven and got a nifty melted burn on top that looked identical to the bag. You can't easily slice really warm bread. When it's cool enough to slice, it's cool enough not to worry about it melting plastic.

I'm not a fan of the ends. I either use them to sop up stew or give them to my dog with some meat or cheese (honestly I usually just throw them out).

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Umm if you eat the heels of a loaf of bread then you are 72% more likely to develop cystic hypoglymacagemia of the soft tissue around the distal enteremitus and spordantious breaching of the solvius rectus, than if you dont. Seriously, do not eat that dangerous stuff. you wont read about this in the medical journals either. Heating it to 119 celcius doesnt kill all of the yeast bacterialmenengitirum.

Even the crusts can cause cerebral odaema resulting in parasitic infestations of the globlulious persistic enteric system. Its full of absolute toxic poison that the yeast bacterialmenengitirum thrive in. Even in soldiers.

Always cut the crust off and never, ever ever EVER eat the ends off of a loaf of bread.

Man youre lucky i am here to tell you this. Imagine if you didnt know.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join