It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look to the Stars and Ask Why

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Sometimes I find myself staring into the night sky, flooded by questions about life and wondering whether we might truly be alone in this universe. My mind is temporarily freed of the trivial problems and stresses of daily life. Time stands still as I endeavour to count the number of glittering shapes in the sky. The stars emit a mesmerising glow as I stand there, transfixed by my ineptitude, unable to fully understand my existence and reason for being here. If only those stars could teach this dark heart how to feel.

Stars are the eyes of the sky and studying them elicits the same questions I ask when looking deeply into the eyes of another person: what lies behind those eyes? Creation in all its glory? A window to the Soul? The Infinite? One day I might find out what the answer is, but for now I shall remain oblivious. Of course, there is an advantage to lacking such knowledge: obtaining information is far more rewarding than possessing it. The thrill, as is commonly stated, is "in the hunt".

What compels me to undergo this experience? Perhaps it is a healthy dose of curiosity, or the need to achieve mental clarity. Nevertheless, it is one of the most fascinating experiences not involving other people or animals and I highly recommend it. Like your imagination, the possibilities are endless. Get a chair, place it outside and admire creation in all its scintillating beauty.

edit on 17/2/2014 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

i do it every night,look up and wonder what else may be out there.

its kinda therapeutic in a way cause when i,m lost in gazing at the stars and wondering whats out there then i forget about everything else.just wish in my life time that what i wonder could be answered but i don,t think thats ever going to happen.

sad but true

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I like looking at the stars in the sky. I sit there and admire them, checking if Cassiopeia and the dippers are still there. Other than that I just let my mind go blank and admire the twinkling lights that the universe has given us. These seem better to me than the lights on the Christmas tree.

Then the satellites go by and pull your focus and bring you back to the desires of man. I watched the shuttle one night as it approached the space station on a delivery. It was neat but it was not relaxing as staring at the stars is. Sitting around a campfire in the summer sipping on a cup of coffee brewed over the fire is like a touch of heaven to me.

S&F. Now I am a little sad though, the snow won't be gone for three months. It's just not the same when it is below zero outside, you have to keep turning when standing around the fire and there is always a chance that the sparks will burn your clothes when you are so close to the fire.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I love the view but the why and how makes me sad and makes me feel small.

The universe had been "going" for 14 billion years of which i will embrace 50-100 if im lucky.

I get depressed that im not a god that can go anywhere in any time and meet and see and enjoy other planets and other beings, problem is our little time frame we experience is such a small slice its actually very sad.

One day one of us may get off this rock and go somewhere of significance and meet other life forms of significance, its just not gunna happen in my life time. So i have to sit here and eat # like the rest of you mortals.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Like your imagination, the possibilities are endless. Get a chair, place it outside and admire creation in all its scintillating beauty.

Thats true worship…

By the by, viewing is best just before dawn when scintillation is at its lowest.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Ah yes the glittering stars in the night sky...sigh. Beautiful! I can't imagine that we would be the only intelligent life in all the vast universe. No, I believe instead that there are wonders yet discovered. As for our purpose here, I think we ave all wondered about that at one point or another. We can speculate and ponder but I don't think that we are meant to have all the answers here and now. I do believe that once we pass from this existence that we continue on somehow different, better. So sit beneath the golden orb of night, stare at the stars in the velvet sky and dream of things yet to be.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Living in St. Louis, I sincerely miss laying on my back with friends and a bottle of wine just star gazing outside of my small hometown.

Such a sense of wonder and humility.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Biigs

The universe had been "going" for 14 billion years of which i will embrace 50-100 if im lucky.

I get depressed that im not a god that can go anywhere in any time and meet and see and enjoy other planets and other beings, problem is our little time frame we experience is such a small slice its actually very sad.

One day one of us may get off this rock and go somewhere of significance and meet other life forms of significance, its just not gunna happen in my life time. So i have to sit here and eat # like the rest of you mortals.

I can kind of relate to what you say. But that is where the imagination the OP speaks of can come in, brief freeing moments of the "what if" instead of the day to day "what is".

But energy cannot be destroyed and I like to think that someday -- or some eon -- I may be a small part of one of those twinkles.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

I'm still amazed people think what they see with their eyes is the be all and end all of things. There are more dimensions above our three we live in.
Would people believe in a being outside our own time and space? Some would rather believe in aliens who apparently arrive in updated spaceships every few years as if they come off a production line as new models every few years! Ha ha ha. I love the way people can't see the obvious.
ATS is great.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Star gazing brings tears to my eyes. It has become an almost involuntary response each time I view a starry night sky. And then this sudden, indescribable sensation just overwhelms me and I'm flooded with an unquenchable curiosity. It sucks that we are currently bound to these terrestrial lifestyles... It's as if the stars are beckoning us to take that next giant leap.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I like knowing that all the crap that is going on here on this little planet is so unimportant when you look at all creation existing. So many places to be when I am done with this place and we are only talking about the 3D that my eyes can see and not the other planes in N>3-Dim. Creation is so beautiful.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Biigs

. Who say your consciousness cannot go wherever you want. Just because you are in a biological machine do not mean you always will be. Birth amnesia is part of the experience of being human even if some seem to recall fragments of the things that is unknown to most.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Nevermind
edit on 18-2-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

If I want to be happy, I inspire myself with the rare odds of being a part of a biological life cycle, a very diverse one with plenty of ecosystems to explore. We are a rare gem in a vast sea of black vacuum.

And if I am too lofty, or encumbered by fear of the 1000 ways one can fail in this life, I envision our sun expanding in a billion years, scorching Earth and our sibling plants, erasing the history of our mistakes. I find humility in this insignificance... unless we escape the planet and colonize another system, adding redundancy to our race and allowing for cosmic disasters. If we think our DNA is worthy of preserving... we'll know soon enough

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I love looking at the sky and asking the same questions. Funny when I was younger I use to look at the sky with my cousin and tell her how crazy it is that space goes on forever as far as we know, and she would get scared thinking about it and not want to talk about it. I think infinity is really hard for us to grasp sometimes. Were so use to everything having a beginning and end. It's difficult to think of something with no beginning or end.

top topics

join