It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water cannons in London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Prediction of summer riots have panicked Met Police to requesting the purchase of water cannons to control large crowds in such a case. My own thoughts about this are that this is a good idea if used in the right situations. However it is known that any police force always gets it wrong and innocent will be seriously harmed by this non lethal application.

Petition organiser Jo Darrant said: “As with kettling, water cannon are a way of deterring peaceful protesters from direct action. What happened to Dietrich shows that water cannon are unsafe, unpredictable and their introduction is a threat to people’s safety.”

If it is a peaceful protest then there would be no justification at all for deploying water cannons except they probably will as an unnecessary intimidation tactic. And would probably incite a riot when they are used through bad judgement calls.

More than 35,000 people have signed a petition against police plans to buy water cannon to use against rioters in London.
London Evening Standard

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
They should invest their money into US Army" microwave cannons...."
They are far more effective in dispersing crowds and far less harmful I should suspect
(perhaps a picture of one could be found) (and posted)
They look like a big flatscreen tv mounted on the roof of a three quarter ton Army rig.
So if you are demoing and see such a beast beware.....
They make the outer thousandth inch of your skin feel on fire...literally on fire....
Tho they are said to be harmless.....I doubt it would be safe to be in a mob of burning people trying to get away from such a weapon....Lots of tramplings I suspect....

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
And what happens when a peaceful protest turns into a full blown riot like we saw in London and surrounding areas. The areas smashed to pieces and businesses destroyed. I can see the point being raised about how unsafe a water cannon can be but the destruction caused in London during the recent riots there has to be some measures in place to prevent it

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I believe we have these and were deployed during the summer Olympics not 100% sure though

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Water cannons? Pffffffft

It's microwave cannons that you need to watch out for..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
topic already discussed here www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join