It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-Earth Asteroid 2000 EM26 to Fly By Earth Monday 17 February 2014

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
For those that love watching the skies, there will be a "close call" about 16 hours from now with the asteroid 2000 EM26 whizzing by with the closest distance of about 8.8 lunar distances from Earth.

The event can be viewed live on the Slooh website or here.

An asteroid the size of three football fields is set to make a close brush of Earth on Monday (Feb. 17), and you can watch the flyby in a live webcast.

Near-Earth asteroid 2000 EM26 poses no threat of actually hitting the planet, but the online Slooh Space Camera will track the asteroid as it passes by Earth on Monday. The live Slooh webcast will start at 9 p.m. EST (0200 Feb. 18 GMT), and you can also watch the webcast directly through the Slooh website.

You can also watch the asteroid broadcast live on Space.com. Scientists estimate that 2000 EM26 is about 885 feet (270 meters) in diameter, and it is whizzing through the solar system at a break-neck 27,000 mph (12.37km/s), according to Slooh. During its closest approach, the asteroid will fly about 8.8 lunar distances from Earth.
Source & More

Enjoy!

edit on 17-2-2014 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

cue the doom!!!

I want to see this. pity I'll be out for the count.

Cheers for the heads up tho.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
... and in three days, (Feb. 20th) 2014 BR57 (71 m) will be passing only 4.4 LD from earth!

The next day, (Feb. 21) 1995 CR, which is even bigger (215 m) is passing only 7.7 LD from earth......

I wonder why this particular astroid has been singled out , when there are ones doing this almost everyday? Some of them pass much closer (some even closer than the moon) and some much bigger?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Gemwolf
For those that love watching the skies, there will be a "close call" about 16 hours from now with the asteroid 2000 EM26 whizzing by with the closest distance of about 8.8 lunar distances from Earth.

The event can be viewed live on the Slooh website or here.

An asteroid the size of three football fields is set to make a close brush of Earth on Monday (Feb. 17), and you can watch the flyby in a live webcast.

Near-Earth asteroid 2000 EM26 poses no threat of actually hitting the planet, but the online Slooh Space Camera will track the asteroid as it passes by Earth on Monday. The live Slooh webcast will start at 9 p.m. EST (0200 Feb. 18 GMT), and you can also watch the webcast directly through the Slooh website.

You can also watch the asteroid broadcast live on Space.com. Scientists estimate that 2000 EM26 is about 885 feet (270 meters) in diameter, and it is whizzing through the solar system at a break-neck 27,000 mph (12.37km/s), according to Slooh. During its closest approach, the asteroid will fly about 8.8 lunar distances from Earth.
Source & More

Enjoy!

edit on 17-2-2014 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

Fool me once shame on me.

No thanks. I am a sky watcher, but after that blatant sucker punch Charlie Brown move they played with comet ISON, I will never trust my sky viewing of sky events to those folks again.

I don't have fancy expensive equipment, but at least I have a chance to see what is happening, with my amateur stuff. It beats sitting around for hours looking at a blank screen, then having someone spoon feed me a description of I missed by trusting them to be open, honest and reliable.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

cue the doom!!!

It's only 8.8 Lunar distance…

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Huh? Are you suggesting that Slooh's ISON shows were fake?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Bluesma
... and in three days, (Feb. 20th) 2014 BR57 (71 m) will be passing only 4.4 LD from earth!

The next day, (Feb. 21) 1995 CR, which is even bigger (215 m) is passing only 7.7 LD from earth......

I wonder why this particular astroid has been singled out , when there are ones doing this almost everyday? Some of them pass much closer (some even closer than the moon) and some much bigger?

The moment of close approach is during the day for Slooh's observatory for both of the asteroids you mentioned. They could theoretically view them the night before close approach, but I guess they decided to go for one that they could view during the time of closest approach to earth, plus the timing on this one works out to "prime time" in the evening in the eastern US. In the end it really boils down to this; Slooh decided to do a public show to generate interest in their product, they had to pick an asteroid, so they picked that one. They're not going to do free shows every time there is a minor asteroid flying by earth, but they will do it once in a while to get some publicity.
edit on 17-2-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I think it's because there's a nearly direct correlation between distance and size. Smaller asteroids (a few meters across) pass much closer and more often, but they are hardly of any concern. Larger asteroids usually pass much further out. It's when relatively large size (over 100 m) is combined with relatively close distance (just a few LD, or even less than 1 LD) it becomes a notable close approach.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

ngchunter

Huh? Are you suggesting that Slooh's ISON shows were fake?

What show?

Did they have one?

The only thing that I got for my troubles was some guys talking and a promise of streaming video to come any moment?

Did you get to see the live stream?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

cue the doom!!!

It's only 8.8 Lunar distance…

Naww that's at least three cats and a puppies worth of doom.

8.8 ? definitely CATastrophic.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Will it be visible with the naked eye?

If so, where will it be visible from? North or Southern hemisphere? If you can see it in the North I'll be staying up late tonight!

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I saw one of their ISON shows. It looked fine to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

iRoyalty
reply to post by Gemwolf

Will it be visible with the naked eye?

No. It'll be far too dim to see without a powerful telescope.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
On now... LIVE. I'm watching on slooh.com.

2nd
edit on 17-2-2014 by IrishCream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

IrishCream
On now... LIVE. I'm watching on slooh.com.

2nd

Will not work for me.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Live on youtube, now.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

See if this works for ya.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

You beat me to it lol. At least it's up now, thanks.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

Has it already been past? & thanks for link the OP links to watch live wouldnt load for me! Not sure why just says loading & white page
edit on 17-2-2014 by Shana91aus because: I should have said past not on..

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

Well I'm watching it and, if I understand correctly, it already happened and they're waiting for people to upload videos?! They were just showing videos of last year's asteroid that came in over Russia (the one that's pieces are in the Olympic medals lol).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join