It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Columns of Seth and their possible existence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Howdy Lostin space, glad to see you have revived this old thread

In the works of Manetho, who lived three hundred years before him, the same column is spoken of, as existing in the same land: and Manetho declares that he had seen it; but he says that it was engraved by the first Thoth (Hermes), in the sacred language and in hieroglyphs;

Hans: I presume you were speaking of the one of the three books of the Aegyptiaca? Do you know where this information is located?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Where are the linguists? I need help because I have an idea.

According to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, an alternate form of Seth was Sheth. My question is this- when you take a Hebrew word and take it to Egyptian, or vice versa, is there any chance that S might become T and E might become O? That would make Sheth become THOTH in spelling. (I realize pronunciation can be kinda freaky).

Nope.

The AE's had symbols for S already and "e" and "T"...and "H" as well. When writing foreign words in hieroglyphs they spelled them out (an example is Cleopatra's name and Ptolemy's name. Both are found in hieroglyphics -- one on the Rosetta Stone -- and neither has been transliterated or turned into something else.)

They had a deity named "Set" or "Seth" but he was (depending on the time period) a fairly nasty god or Horus' uncle (and lover... at least on one occasion) or a protector or a god of the desert. There's no connection with the Biblical "Seth" on this one other than both were male.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Religions tend to evolve over time, along with their gods. You can often find conflicting views of a who and what a god was. This may have occurred as humans who believed in a particular version rose or fell, were conquered or conquered, or new fads and ideas came in from outside religions or epiphanies occured

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The Hyksos invaders worshipped the Egyptian Set(h) as the god most similar to their own Semitic deity. There may be a vague sort of relationship here with tribal gods becoming tribal patriarchs, in the same way that "Tubal-Cain," some have speculated, is related to the god "Vulcan".

Why has no-one ever mentioned the Sethian Gnostics? One of their texts is called The Three Steles of Seth. It's the usual bunch of nigh-incomprehensible Gnostic mysticism, but its purported revelator, Dositheos, was a real person, and there may be some historical tradition underlying the whole thing.

It's also interesting that Set was portrayed as homosexual; the Gnostic Holy Book of the Great Invisible Spirit says that the people of Sodom were Seth's chosen people. The connection is noted in this Google Books link: The Rediscovery of Gnosticism, p. 501

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Eleleth]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Hans: I presume you were speaking of the one of the three books of the Aegyptiaca? Do you know where this information is located?

It's a quotation from Syncellus' Chronography, XL:

“It is proposed then to make a few extracts concerning the Egyptian dynasties from the Books of Manetho. [This Manetho,] being high priest of the Heathen temples in Egypt, based his replies [to King Ptolemy] on the monuments which lay in the Seriadic country. [These monuments,] he tells us, were engraved in the sacred language and in the characters of the sacred writing by Thoth, the first Hermes; after the flood they were translated from the sacred language into the then common tongue, but [still written] in hieroglyphic characters, and stored away in books by the Good Daimon’s son and the second Hermes, father of Tat—in the inner chambers of the temples of Egypt.

‘“In the Book of Sothis Manetho addresses King Philadelphus, the second Ptolemy, personally, writing as follows word for word:

“‘The Letter of Manetho, the Sebennyte, to Ptolemy Philadelphus.

“‘To the great King Ptolemy Philadelphus, the venerable: I, Manetho, high priest and scribe of the holy fanes in Egypt, citizen of Heliopolis but by birth a Sebennyte, to my master Ptolemy send greeting.

“‘We must make calculations concerning all the points which you may wish us to examine into, to answer your questions concerning what will happen to the world. According to your commands, the sacred books, written by our forefather Thrice-greatest Hermes, which I study, shall be shown to you. My lord and king, farewell.’”

This translation is from G.R.S. Mead's Thrice Greatest Hermes, Vol. 1, pp. 104-105. This Book of Sothis is usually judged as pseudoepigraphical.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Eleleth]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

I see someone already posted an answer to your question. Anyhow, I could not remember where I found the opening post information. I was new to ATS back then and I didn't reference the source. I probably got it from the internet.

The Pillars of Enoch contraversy is interesting. The website I linked yesterday explained that the Pillars of Seth could not be located in Egypt. They said Josephus knew what a pyramid looked like and he would not call pyramids pillars. Maybe that rules out the pyramids as being Seth's pillars. Maybe a lost civilization is hinden under the Giza plateau. Did you read that cryptic post by the anon yesterday?

(Edit)
Actually, thanks goes out to that anonomous poster. I completely forgot about this thread.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by lostinspace]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Eleleth

Thank you for the information.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Hebrews 11:5

"By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God."

I really believe this is a better translation:

Hebrews 11:5 By faith E′noch was transferred so as not to see death, and he was nowhere to be found because God had transferred him; for before his transference he had the witness that he had pleased God well.

(New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Samson777

Welcome to ATS Samson777. Thanks for posting an alternative reading of the scripture.

What is your take on the fabled column's of Seth?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Well actually i stumbled upon it when i was reading the book of Josephus' Antiquities. i kept typing different terms in google and in every outcome this site kept popping up. You try to get insight in one thing of the bible and get your mind blown on complete other things.

Its fascinating to read that the Great Pyramid has been built by people from the Pre-Flood. It makes sense because ive seen a documentary about it a long time ago that they found out that the workers there had allot of innovative tools and even had surgical tools and ate a variety of foods and vegetables.
What really supports my view of this is: Most Pharaohs made their pyramids for the sole purpose as a burial place, but reading through all kinds of texts the Pillars of Enoch (Great Piramide of Giza) was basically to preserve knowledge for future generations. Its seems logical to me that the workers would feel no real regret working on it, considering the goal. Compared to slaves years later that only built it for the glory of one selfish man.

Of course its all speculation on my part, seeing im not really into Egypt's history until now. I always use to believe Jehovah was the one true God and all other civilizations were based on false gods and idols. Its very enlightening to view the Egyptian Gods as people from the pre flood that had a wide knowledge acquired from God.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Originally posted by The Vagabond
MasonicLight has hinted before that he believes the Free Masons were once intended to preserve some outlawed doctrine that the Church would have allowed to disappear. Might make for an interesting story.

I am looking into this very subject at the moment.

You might want to read 'The Hiram Key' which proposes that Jesus Christ was actually a kingly leader (along with John The Baptist, who was the priestly leader) of a Jewish sect known as the Essenes. Apparently the Essenes were privy to "secret knowledge" which had been passed down to them from ancient Egypt, where Moses was heavily involved.

According to the book, Freemasory has it's roots in ancient Egypt (and beyond) and it's secrets passed through the Qumran sect (home of the Dead Sea Scrolls) and onwards through history. They basically state that Jesus was a Freemason who had access to this "secret knowledge" but wanted quicker results than the Essenes' way of life could provide, so he became somewhat of a radical and started an off-shoot sect, a more radical, aggressive sect,, in order to increase his numbers.

It's a fascinating read.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Samson777

I recommend you watch this Youtube video from the following ATS thread:
Djedi Robot Set to Explore Pyramid Shafts?

This is some cool computer graphics of the Great Pyramid of Khufu and its interior chambers.

I’m not too sure about the pyramids being antediluvian. I haven’t thought about it that much. Come to think of it, the outer casing stones of Khufu’s pyramid are missing, along with its cap stone. Where did they go? Were they used for other building material years later or were they washed away after being submerged for many days? They say Khufu’s pyramid is the oldest and most complex.

Whatever was in the known chambers is now lost or stolen. Unless they find another hidden chamber with some real artifacts we will never know the true meaning of the shafts and chambers.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

At completion, the Great Pyramid was surfaced by white "casing stones" – slant-faced, but flat-topped, blocks of highly polished white limestone. These were carefully cut to what is approximately a face slope with a seked of 5½ palms to give the required dimensions. Visibly, all that remains is the underlying stepped core structure seen today. In AD 1300, a massive earthquake loosened many of the outer casing stones, which were then carted away by Bahri Sultan An-Nasir Nasir-ad-Din al-Hasan in 1356 to build mosques and fortresses in nearby Cairo.

-wikipedia

top topics

<< 1   >>

join