It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I hate valentines day

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuye

If you love your girlfriend and show her it the rest of the days, it matters not who you are on that day.

Right, now all you've got to do is convince your girlfriend...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

DeadSeraph

unb3k44n7
What is this Valentines Day people speak of and what day is it on

Go check out the short stories forum. It's recently been flooded with terrible poetry and should offer you a few leads as to where you should look next in your research.

Hey, Hey , Hey.... don''t knock bad poetry!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

You know, I kinda have to disagree with you here. I understand it IS your rant, but I must add my own thoughts.

Never in my life had any man given me a card or flowers on Valentines day, no chocolates for me no thing at all. Don't get me wrong, I have been married, but my daughter was the only person in my life who had ever done anything for me on Valentines Day, and her and I had a thing going, she made me a homemade card every valentines day and I got her a different stuffed monkey every year.

But men? Definitely not. Until this year. Last year my new husband and I were 800 miles apart, so this was our first official Valentines Day together. I wasn't expecting anything at all, although I was thinking a chocolate bar might be nice since I like chocolate and the stores are inundated with the stuff... but I was not expecting anything at all.

I came home from work the day before Valentines Day to a bouquet of flowers and a pretty vase to put them in, a GIANT Valentines Day card, chocolates of all different sizes and shapes, and a great big balloon... lol... It was all great... I felt special, even though it is a "commercial" holiday...

I felt... I dunno... like I was worth something to him, especially when he said he did it because he wanted to keep me, and had never done anything like this for anyone else... ever.

He did it all thursday in order to surprise me, because I might have expected it on Valentines Day... so when I came home Friday, with something he liked and a card for him, I thought Valentines to be basically over...

But then I walked in the door only to see rose pedals on the floor, and new sexy frilly underthings and a single rose.... lol... HIS Valentines present this was....

but again, it was awesome, and wonderful.... and he had the Valentines he wanted too... and again I felt special, and beautiful and all those things a woman dreams of feeling...

So, while it may be commercial... I LOVED feeling like that for the first time in my life..... it was great. And while my husband does great things every day, and we show our love for each other every day.... Valentines was GREAT too....

It was something I had never before experienced, and something I never knew I would like or enjoy so much. Basically... don't knock it... Valentines Day can be wonderful too...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Not for the first time in ats someone pulls a microscope and begins look for conflict there where it not be in this case between a man and a woman

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

CJCrawley
reply to post by Shuye

If you love your girlfriend and show her it the rest of the days, it matters not who you are on that day.

Right, now all you've got to do is convince your girlfriend...

Just look for one who can see through this bull, it would be easy.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Hmm, I've never felt pressured by any of it, nor had I ever felt bad in years in which I was single on Valentine's Day. I've always been confused by people who feel the need to make a big thing of it, feel negative because of feelings of being "excluded", or are bothered by it even if they're in a relationship with someone who, like them, doesn't care about the holiday.

I guess it's just easier for me than most to not be so affected by outside influences. Some years we do something to "celebrate", other years we don't. To say it's insensitive, etc., that the reminders of the holiday are all around, however, seems especially odd to me. Imagine the bland works we would live in if we eliminated everything which could cause a negative emotional response in fragile individuals.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

lolwut?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Well, they do it slightly differently in japan - in form, that is. The context remains the same - WHM should simply bend over and let the women rip them apart and take the WHM's possessions and then the WHM should apologize for his existence and thank the women afterwards.

In Japan, the women are 'expected' to give men chocolate on Valentine's day.

But of course, this wasn't enough. I don't know when the whole country was so feminazied, but after the transformation, it's now..

1) Women jokingly give VERY CHEAP chocolate to the men on Valentine's day, IF they feel like it (and many protest like western feminists, like "Why should I?!".)

2) Men are SERIOUSLY expected to give VERY EXPENSIVE chocolate and other gifts to women on White Day, shortly afterwards. No men would DARE protest.

So if anyone thinks Japan is a safe haven, away from feminists, they better think again. There is NO EQUALITY.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You should get drunk on valentines day and smack your woman around a little bit (just a little, im not a monster). That should change her expectations, then next year if you do absolutely nothing it'll still be better than what happened before. Maybe even do it while dressed up like a giant heart or something, I dunno why you would do that last part exactly but it makes for some hilarious imagery.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bundy

You owe me a new keyboard.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Just read the story of Saint Valentine or the other Martyrs named Valentine if you feel you have it so bad. Or ask him for some assistance if you can't get it moving in that dept. and your ready.
Or read up and Jonathan Ben Uzziel(Uziel) and visit his grave. He is and was the Jewish eqievalant for love.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

F$^K this #ty holiday, it absolutely sucks and I have no words as for valentines as with Religion.....just STUPID and ignorant. I had a girl fired for the same comment "What did you do?" My exact response....."Listen you overweight fat sow......You too fat to realize what your saying and probably only mad because all the chocolate is being sold while you watch it leave the store you insolent pig.!"

Had talked to a manager and threatened full disclosure and pursuing evidence to shut this # down unless you Fire the cow!

Be happy you got a job because people like me will hand you a education you decide to open your overweight mouth!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

Go check out the short stories forum. It's recently been flooded with terrible poetry and should offer you a few leads as to where you should look next in your research.

Wow, thank god I took Short Stories off my recent list.

Check the other Valentine's day thread for my personal, multi post rant about the evil of February 14th (& every other holiday in existence"

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyTrick
Ive got my boyfriend a starwars dressing gown and ive got moroccan pork stew in the slow cooker. Some girlfriends make an effort.

Its nice to have a special day to make time for your partner especially if you've got children like me as you don't always make time.

And people whos parents have died dont moan about mothers day and fathers day and its the same thing.

I have a close friend who's mom died & she breaks down every Mother's Day. I can't relate, but I think your last sentence is pretty ignorant.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Well, if it makes you feel any better I'm no longer with the person I was with when I authored this thread. Valentine's Day is significantly crappier when you are single

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm ok with being single. I just hate how valentines day is almost engineered to make single people feel like they are somehow less than human lol

So I guess you can add that to my original rant!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I'm at the bar/restaurant right now, & there are a lot of families here. Frankly, the materialism of valentines day is mostly directed at families, more than date night, in my opinion.

Ah I should also add that, it doesn't make me happy that you aren't with said person anymore. But it does make me happy there's one less woman being psychologically abused by a man somewhere (or vice versa if you're a male seraph)
edit on 14-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I've been looking all over the rant section to post an inspiring holy message, but I can't find anybody that is really feeling much, and I don't even know if people believe in God, however if a human being separates themselves from the animal kingdom by deciding not to have pride, they will quickly find themselves alone in the world. This will branch off in their love life, because if they are very religious they will not believe in fornication, and see that it is also a prideful thing, a thing that women manipulate man with, because women have a more harder time than man do to be righteous, out of the very few men that are, because in order to be that you must give up material things.

So this may only help a few people, because we are so different than the world.

You will not delight in burnt-offerings. The sacrifice [acceptable] to God is a bruised spirit; a broken and a contrite heart God will not despise.

Thus the humility and godly submission of so great and illustrious men (Essenes of the Dead Sea Scrolls) have rendered not only us, but also all the generations before us, better; even as many as have received His oracles in fear and truth. Wherefore, having so many great and glorious examples set before us, let us turn again to the practice of that peace which from the beginning was the mark set before us; and let us look steadfastly to the Father and Creator of the universe, and cleave to His mighty and surpassingly great gifts and benefactions of peace. Let us contemplate Him with our understanding, and look with the eyes of our soul to His long-suffering will.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join