It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye thinks Socialization > Science Education

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I have to agree with your experiences. From my own personal experiences, I've never met a single home schooled kid that wasn't "off". Every now in then when I was in public school some parent would decide to stop home schooling their kid. I can't tell you how many of them were social awkward, annoying, attention seeking, painfully shy, extremely sheltered, and behind in just about every subject except maybe math. Many of them were very immature for their age, especially the females (whom got taken advantage of in High School by predatory males).

That's just my personal life experience -- I'm sure that there are really great parents that socialize their children and teach them a rigorous curriculum -- I just never met one.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah home schooling is only as good as the parent.

Yeah some will do well.

But a lot will end up in a miserable position with a poor education.

My cousins are home school. Luckly there parents are good teachers.

They know 10 other home school kids and they are thick as **** as there parents are useless.

Its hit and miss and at the end of the day its mostly miss.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

LOSTinAMERICA
reply to post by eMachine

Bill Nye is an actor who is out of touch with reality. Here is some control for your experiment brah.

If you have been hoemschooled then you are not a good poster child as you certainly cant use stats right.

That graph shows NOTHING.

Nothing except states with really good state education are leaps and bounds above the USA

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I lived in a small farming community, where we all knew each other and our friends parents would actually get on to us for screwing up when mom and dad wasn't around. None of us really dated, because it felt like dating your family. So we dated the kids from a couple of nearby towns.

In football (which is kind of sacred in the area) we had this one kid whose mom would drop him off at the beginning of practice, already geared up. She didn't drop him off at the locker room to try to increase socialization. She made it awkward by having him suited up when she dropped him off. He was home schooled, and had a right to participation, as his parents payed their taxes. But it was horrible for him. He was not very good, and was quite awkward. Being "not very good" meant that everyone hated him, since he was the only one who would get played no matter how bad he did.

It lasted for 1 season. I don't think he really wanted to come back. Had he been treated like everyone else, it wouldn't have been a problem. Because everyone else wanted to win, and wanted to see screw ups benched for screwing up.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Most of these people are collectivists and collectivism is the foundation of groupthink.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

He's human.
He makes mistakes.
Me too for that matter.
I can agree with him and disagree with him depending on what he has to say.
And I might be right a few times out of 10.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Home school were once good way of education but sadly it has been hi-jacked by religious to continue their indoctrination.

Homeschooling is only good as the person who teaches. I have seen some "challenged" kids do home school just for the sake of not getting picked on at school, which i understand.

Even tho my high school life was hard and sometimes stressful, but i would give anything to like that life again lol.

Living in your home for all those years seems torture.

Its like a releasing an animal that lived inside a barn into the wild, it will get slaughtered.
edit on 2/18/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join