It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking allies, Obama turns to France?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The Op-Ed headline this morning was a bit of a surprise...

'Obama and Hollande: France and the U.S. enjoy a renewed alliance'

France hasn't been a traditional US ally for direct pressure applied to nations like is happening with Iran, but then France has been a little different about their treatment and attitude toward Iran for awhile. Certainly different than, say, Iraq where the term 'Freedom Fries' first came to be coined after active French working against US goals at the time. It's interesting to see how that's changed as the countries it's aimed at have changed.

Today, American and French diplomats are preparing for talks with Iran that build on the agreement that has halted progress on and rolled back key elements of the Iranian nuclear program. French and American officials share information daily to combat terrorism around the world. Our development experts are helping farmers across Africa and on other continents boost their yields and escape poverty.

I guess one of my main questions here is....what are we thinking? France is not unlike the US in one way. They both suffer internal issues of discontent if not outright growing unrest with economic issues of a very serious nature. Yet, now is the time for expensive new initiatives in other nations? Hmmm... Wow.. What might be wrong with this thinking?

A decade ago, few would have imagined our two countries working so closely together in so many ways. But in recent years our alliance has transformed. Since France’s return to NATO’s military command four years ago and consistent with our continuing commitment to strengthen the NATO- European Union partnership, we have expanded our cooperation across the board.

This is interesting to read, a day after Germany's Merkel is all but throwing a fit over the latest U.S. misbehaviors and NSA revelations of abuse toward European citizen's privacy or sense of sovereignty.

back to Africa tho....

Across the continent, from Senegal to Somalia, we are helping train and equip local forces so they can take responsibility for their own security. We are partnering with governments and citizens who want to strengthen democratic institutions, improve agriculture and alleviate hunger, expand access to electricity and deliver the treatment that saves lives from infectious diseases. Our two countries were the earliest and are among the strongest champions of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
Source

I think, as an American citizen....I'd give just about anything right now to have a man that was American President *FIRST* and 'Leader to the world' SECOND. Our nation is hurting. It's hurting very badly in some places and more so than others. Washington, for instance, is booming and has been by all important metrics, for a few years now. Outside of Washington and the bubble these men live in, the United States is not a healthy place. Not economically, not socially and not morally. It's sick with a virus, or something worse.

This isn't the time to be expending military assets across North/Central Africa "From Senegal to Somalia", as they say. It isn't time to be starting another war, seemingly by whatever means it takes to get there, with Iran. I think it's far PAST time we focus on OUR NATION...that is literally falling apart on multiple levels right now and which desperately NEEDS a leader it simply doesn't seem to have.

America needs a leader for Americans... Is there anyone out there to do the job? (peers into the distance)...it's not looking good?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Good luck wit them as an ally...they will just run when the heat turns up right? That's what I've always heard lol,

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Illuminawty

It's certainly an odd turn of events for those who have watched international politics closely over the last 10-15 years. Old allies are ..tense at best and old adversaries on the diplomatic field anyway, are replacing the previous allies.

Germany out .. France in? Seems to be the effective reality at the moment for how the respective Governments are acting in public. What a thing to see...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Double post, my apologies
edit on 10/2/14 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Please remove, edit is going crazy
edit on 10/2/14 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Illuminawty

Good luck wit them as an ally...they will just run when the heat turns up right? That's what I've always heard lol,

Another sterotypical and in my opinion unintelligent response from someone who has probably never even peeped over the wall that surrounds your home unless you went on a quick school exchange trip to Paris many years ago and spent every day at McDonalds.

My apologies, but in all honesty... tell us... is that a serious contribution to a well thought out and written thread or are you just wanting to show the arrogance that many of us other members from OTHER parts of the world are starting to recognise alot of ATS members here for?... Or is it so called humour?

Instead of saying that you had "heard" maybe you should have done a little research first instead of listening or watching the MSM media before commenting in such an unsavoury and unrespectful manner.

Ive been over here in France for more than 25 years now... hardly ever will you hear a French person have a kick at the USA... OR any other country come to think about it...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 10/2/14 by Rodinus because: Having big problems with edit

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
something wrong with the edit button

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Hollande is bought and paid for. The Yanks and Frogs were in bed together during Libya and also currently in Africa. So not really new , just a re affirmation really

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Our development experts are helping farmers across Africa and on other continents boost their yields and escape poverty.

I guess one of my main questions here is....what are we thinking?

back to Africa tho....

Across the continent, from Senegal to Somalia, we are helping train and equip local forces so they can take responsibility for their own security. We are partnering with governments and citizens who want to strengthen democratic institutions, improve agriculture and alleviate hunger, expand access to electricity and deliver the treatment that saves lives from infectious diseases. Our two countries were the earliest and are among the strongest champions of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
Source

We are thinking that Africa is the worlds largest and often exclusive source of exotic metals needed for everything from your phone, to PC, to solar panels....and it is also lawless breeding ground for terrorists...as the French know all too well having lost many civilians and soldiers there. Africa is also the worlds largest untapped energy resource.

That is why CHINA has been investing trillions in Africa. Nairobi is like little china...they are building schools, bridges, streets there non-stop.

We can let China take over Africa and it's massive resources or we can compete there.

I don't see anything confusing about it. From an economic security perspective, everyone agrees that Africa is an insanely critical region. It is why China has been so aggressive there...and frankly we are losing Africa to China right now.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Interesting way to mix pieces of my OP and quote to read as though I said something else..

Creative...but that would be confusing in it's own way, eh?
edit on 10-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

We can let China take over Africa and it's massive resources or we can compete there.

Bwhahhaaaaa that was damn right hilarious!

American competition is DEAD. All anyone has to do is look within our own borders to see how hilarious that is.

America where 'everyone is a winner, everyone gets a trophy for showing up in life.

The icing on the cake ?

Turning to France as an 'ally' !

No offense to France.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The French military is under great financial strain because of the large amount of suntan oil that is needed for their armpits.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

SubTruth

The French military is under great financial strain because of the large amount of suntan oil that is needed for their armpits.

There are some people outside who want to have a quiet word with you. They're called Turenne, Davout, Bonaparte, Foch and Leclerc. And I think they brought a big book of history with which to hit you over the head with.
edit on 10-2-2014 by AngryCymraeg because: Typo

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Indigo5

Interesting way to mix pieces of my OP and quote to read as though I said something else..

Creative...but that would be confusing in it's own way, eh?

Interesting way to not directly respond? Would you have me quote your entire OP?

The text you included was about the US and Frances cooperative efforts in Africa? Was it not?

I explained why the US and France has very significant interests in Africa???

Here maybe this will help..

From just 6 hours ago..

US, France Point to Joint Anti-Terrorism Efforts in Africa
www.voanews.com...

Mr. Obama and Mr. Hollande said the two nations are partnering "to prevent al-Qaida from gaining new footholds." They said that in the Central African Republic, French and AU soldiers, backed by American airlift and support, "are working to stem violence," opening the way toward reconciliation in the country.

So that answers your immediate question as to why they are partnering..

As to your more general question...why we should be in Africa at all...The Brookings institution has a piece on that..

Top Five Reasons Why Africa Should Be a Priority for the United States
www.brookings.edu...

also here..
Beijing is on the move in Africa -- using aid, diplomacy, weapons sales and Chinese ex pats in a bid to become the preeminent power in the region.
www.cbsnews.com...

And a thousand other places...google is your friend.

What I believe irks you is that OPs such as they are written with a "sinister" tone that requires their to be unanswered questions...and thus you find yourself asking questions you do not want answered, less the "sinister" premise suffer.

And when someone provides simple answers...great offense seems to be taken

Wrabbit2000

I guess one of my main questions here is....what are we thinking?
Yet, now is the time for expensive new initiatives in other nations?
Hmmm... Wow.. What might be wrong with this thinking?

Those were the questions you asked in your OP...

Did you not want answers?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Indigo, you have chosen to focus on Africa as a specific and primary point here. I was and am focused on the odd relation of sudden friendship between the United States and France, while America turns away from or outright disrespects much closer traditional allies. In particular, it was the area of Iran...to name a specific..and not so much Africa..which got my attention the most. In fact, only 1 of my 5 OP paragraphs even mentions Africa and it's dead last in order, as it happened. Not accidental, by the way.

You're quite welcome to carry on about Africa, of course, as the OP story itself covers both Iran and Africa among other areas of sudden US and French agreement. It's simply not what I'm terribly interested in, on this thread at least.

I've written quite a bit in the past and going back a year or more about the ongoing build up of U.S. Logistics bases and support centers from Liberia to Kenya, across north Central Africa and scattered around Central Africa to the South of that. It is interesting ....but the French closeness is more so, again, in the oddity of it for the times and totality of world affairs right now.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Illuminawty

Yeah but they saved the USA arse in the US war of independance.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Indigo5

Indigo, you have chosen to focus on Africa as a specific and primary point here. I was and am focused on the odd relation of sudden friendship between the United States and France, while America turns away from or outright disrespects much closer traditional allies.

I see the two topics (joint interests in Africa) and what you strangely term the "sudden friendship" as one in the same.

Nations are not like high school cliques. Where each nations economic and security interests and policies align with one another, they will join together where advantageous. That does not seem "odd" to me...don't know how else to explain it?

That is why I obviously articulated their common interests in Africa? That was the reason the President and the French Leader cited as the basis of their joint effort? And it is the reasoning for "friendship" that most rational observers see as well?

What sinister motive do you think is behind the "friendship" of France and the USA? Aside from what they have actually explained via press conferences? Which is of course Africa.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Well us in the UK have cornerd our MP's when it comes to foreign militray action. Look at how the mere mention of following the USA into Syria was violently opposed. Your goverment likely are smart enough to reliase the UK is pretty much spent for the next decade or so in following US foreign policy, therefore they are looking to France.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

You know, you are right in so far as saying the UK isn't going to be in a position to be globe trotting for trouble and fights in the near-mid term future at least. We wouldn't be able to either, if we weren't printing money out of thin air to pay for it. We are tho...and your nation isn't in anything like the way ours is ..so I suppose we are somewhat in need of friends. It's a self created problem though.

We've burned the tails of almost all the friends we had or called Allies. Some that still stand with us, do so only because the alliance is far more to their benefit than ours (South Korea.. Japan... Taiwan...to name a few) and I think they just hope and pray we won't burn them too, if it comes to crunch time. Until recently...I'd have laughed at the thought, too. Now? I'm not sure and that's scary.

It is interesting though, as Germany and both North and Eastern Europe are not just losing their affection for us but getting downright hostile, this is the moment we choose to embrace France. See what I mean? You know history and can appreciate the irony here as well as I, I'd imagine. It's almost thick enough to cut with a knife in some ways, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Well i guess you still have Isreal too as freinds........

As for germany and eastern europe? Well there doing extremly well. Places like the USA and southen europe are really just dead weights to them. Germany all but owns the Euro and likely fears the collaspse of the USD and so wants to get as far away from you guys as they can and looking for any excuse to widern that distance. Cant blame them really seeing as you guys youself probably wouldnt mind distaceing yourself from your own fragile currency!
edit on 10-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join