It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima radiation levels underestimated by five times - TEPCO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Published time: February 08, 2014 07:03

TEPCO has revised the readings on the radioactivity levels at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant well to 5 million becquerels of strontium per liter – both a record, and nearly five times higher than the original reading of 900,000 becquerels per liter.

Actually someone needs help counting. That's over 5 times higher.

Strontium-90 is a radioactive isotope of strontium produced by nuclear fission with a half-life of 28.8 years. The legal standard for strontium emissions is 30 becquerels per liter. Exposure to strontium-90 can cause bone cancer, cancer of nearby tissues, and leukemia.

However, the company noted on Friday that the previous radioactivity levels had been wrong, meaning that it was also likely reading taken from the other wells at the disaster-struck plant prior to September were also likely to have been inaccurate, the Asahi Shimbum newspaper reported.

And this is why the Japanese government has called them liars. (source) I sincerely hope no one here ever believes any news put out by Tepco.

The Japanese company has already apologized for the failures, which they said were a result of the malfunctioning of measuring equipment.

Article source

I'm sure it was. Whatever you say Tepco... *rolls eyes*

edit on 9-2-2014 by Pimpintology because: of formatting purposes.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This reminds me alot like the BP scandal only 5 times worse.

This sums it up pretty much.

S&F

edit on thAmerica/Chicago209uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Ummmm....

Ooops on the math error?

Oh dear...That's awkward for them, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Dint they say the same a couple of month back? are they correcting the first value or the corrected one again, it looks like they release the same headline over and over again as a way to confuse people like "umm i saw this before is not new" but actually they are making the number bigger and bigger every time

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Purplechive posted a NHK Video about Fukushima today,
there is additional Information inside which is good to know!

Wrabbit2000
Ummmm....

Ooops on the math error?

Oh dear...That's awkward for them, isn't it?

Not really, the Japanese works much better when they are under pressure

And it is not based on a Math Error

TEPCO said they initially detected just 900,000 becquerels per liter of strontium-90 but eventually they found out that there were problems in their measuring equipment.

The reading of beta particle-emitting substances are usually lower when the concentration is higher. So they changed their measurement method around October but did not announce it during that time. They will continue the re-analysis of past water samples as they may still be subject to some mistakes. The danger of a substance like strontium is that it accumulates in the bones and can eventually cause bone cancer and leukemia.

Source
edit on 9-2-2014 by Human0815 because: more info

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The entire world is dubious over the TEPCO announcements....
The disaster is ongoing and may run to half a billion or more years yet....
I find it totally anti human that nuclear energy was ever persued in the first place...talk about children playing with matches.....
Why are the "smart" ones so stupid?
A child could have predicted this years ago.........duh....

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

Maybe this news will put some of the Tepco people in prison. This will have to change the overall outlook for the disaster, and its effect on the oceans, atmosphere, and biological life, and I can only await the experts to give their reading on how drastic those changes will be. Yikes.

edit on 9-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
G.E. brings great things to life!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

This has already been posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

stirling
The entire world is dubious over the TEPCO announcements....
The disaster is ongoing and may run to half a billion or more years yet....
I find it totally anti human that nuclear energy was ever persued in the first place...talk about children playing with matches.....
Why are the "smart" ones so stupid?
A child could have predicted this years ago.........duh....

Man I wish I could flag that statement!

I could not think of a better way to put it.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

RickinVa

This article was not posted there. You should refer to the published date.

edit on 10-2-2014 by Pimpintology because: of Fukushima radiation!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Pimpintology

RickinVa

This article was not posted there. You should refer to the published date.

edit on 10-2-2014 by Pimpintology because: of Fukushima radiation!

Exact same story, two different sources,,,, mine was Feb. 6 yours was Feb 8. Doesn't really matter to me though as long as it keeps people aware of whats's going on at Fukushima... it's all good in that respect.

jen.jiji.com...

edit on R132014-02-10T02:13:02-06:00k132Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R142014-02-10T02:14:53-06:00k142Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RickinVa

It was even posted before in the big Press Thread,
but why do you care so much?

5 Mio Bq a Liter is Peanuts,
they will collect and store this Water,
"Don't Panico"!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Human0815

"Don't Panico"!

Attack the ball not the player.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Let's face it, we're never going to get the full truth about the state of Fukushima, never.

How many years has it been now, 3 years? And what do we know about it for sure apart from the obvious? We know ZERO. A big fat duck egg zero.

This is an unprecedented major catastrophe which has the potential (or not) to turn our planet into a doughnut, but instead of attracting concern from all governments of every nation on the globe not to mention the media, not one of them appear to be neither interested nor concerned enough to be demanding more information. No typically nosey investigative journalists asking awkward questions and poking their noses in either, like they usually do. Why? What ambitious investigative journalist wouldn't be interested in such a scoop? But they're not. How odd is that?

Everyone is behaving as if Fukushima was a non-event and un-newsworthy, which we all know is simply not true. None of it make any sense.

I think the deafening silence surrounding Fukushima is because there is nothing to report except bad news, and nothing to update except worse news.

We have no positive reports because there is nothing positive to report. It's all bad. As bad as can be. And getting worse.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Maybe the majority of the People face much more urgent
Problems than this Plant and nuclear Energy as a whole?

We had Elections here yesterday, Nuclear Energy was a huge Topic
but at the end the economical Situation was more important
than this Accident!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Human0815
reply to post by doobydoll

Maybe the majority of the People face much more urgent
Problems than this Plant and nuclear Energy as a whole?

We had Elections here yesterday, Nuclear Energy was a huge Topic
but at the end the economical Situation was more important
than this Accident!

He makes some very good points, but as usual, instead of addressing them... you artfully decide to ignore them and direct the thread away from the topic as usual......this game is getting older everyday.... you can only deny so much before the truth becomes obvious.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Human0815

"Don't Panico"!

but why do you care so much? Because I am a human and I live on this planet.

5 Mio Bq a Liter is Peanuts... I assume you meant 5 million bqs a liter of Strontium 90 is peanuts..... that just shows plain ignorance. If it's peanuts, drink a few liters and get back to us on that in a few years.

they will collect and store this Water.... They can't keep storing water.... its logistically impossible. By the way, do you know what happens when you store highly radioactive water in metal containers? Large amounts of gamma rays outside of the containers..as Tepco is finding out.

"Don't Panico"!.......I'm not..... sounds like you are when someone posts something you can't refute.
edit on R502014-02-10T14:50:38-06:00k502Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R542014-02-10T14:54:01-06:00k542Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R552014-02-10T14:55:34-06:00k552Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

No one who knows about the Situation in F'Shima
is surprised about 5 Mio. Bq a Liter because it was
and is foreseeable, they will find even much higher
Amounts in the Future!

Storage Tanks are not always above the Ground
and our Heroic Tepco can build much more,
also we can exchange the low Concentrations
for the higher one,
that they keep all this (low contaminated)
Water is only a "Whitewash"
to calm down the People who React instead of Prevent!

Do you, at least, identify Well 1.2?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Human0815

No one who knows about the Situation in F'Shima
is surprised about 5 Mio. Bq a Liter because it was
and is foreseeable, they will find even much higher
Amounts in the Future!

Storage Tanks are not always above the Ground
and our Heroic Tepco can build much more,
also we can exchange the low Concentrations
for the higher one,
that they keep all this (low contaminated)
Water is only a "Whitewash"
to calm down the People who React instead of Prevent!

Do you, at least, identify Well 1.2?

our heroic Tepco.

You made a very bad choice for a hero my friend you would have been better off going with the Teletubbies..... Tepco should have been removed from this picture 3 years ago.... maybe some of this could have been mitigated if the Japanese government had taken over from day 1... but now its way too late... the damage has been done and will continue to be done for many many more years.

And I see you are changing your story.... 5 million was now expected and much higher readings are to be expected you now say... you never said that before..... maybe you are finally starting to see the writing on the wall. Denial does no one any good...
edit on R552014-02-11T13:55:36-06:00k552Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R562014-02-11T13:56:32-06:00k562Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join