It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Sochi Olympics are the most expensive in history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I just finished watching this short documentary regarding the Sochi games. 4x the 12 B budget, displaced families, commandeered farm lands for 5 star hotels, homeless forced out of the city, large scale contractor corruption and more. I understand what a dream it is for young athletes to partake in the Olympics but at what cost?

In 2010 when the Olympic committee came to Vancouver, they commandeered an entire parking garage in Whistler to be used for only VanOc employees. Business in town were immediately affected. Roads in downtown Vancouver were blocked, reserved only for VanOC. The new 'Sea to sky' highway, which cost 3.5 Billion dollars, was not permissible by car. You had to take a bus which didn't even stop anywhere along 125 km stretch of the highway. Communities along the way did not reap any rewards from this. Nothing. In fact, they lost. Also, the Olympic Village put Vancouver in the hole 1B over budget and left us to pick up the tab.

So what's the purpose of the Olympics anyway? I see it nothing more than a money grab for those who are privileged enough to be a part of this overly inflated circus. Families are destroyed, livelihoods are lost, houses are bulldozed and farmlands are torn up. All for three short weeks of games. Who's going to use those 5-star hotels after the games are gone? You?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Because they had to exterminate all the gays and stray dogs before the opening ceremony?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This has been known about the Olympics for some time. They are usually nothing more than an expensive showcase. The venues will not make the money back afterwards. They're just grandstanding for the host country.

But is that a reason to knock the athletes? They didn't ask for it to become that.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Who's knocking the athletes?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

FlySolo
reply to post by ketsuko

Who's knocking the athletes?

You implied that because young athletes have that dream, it provides the excuse for all this.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Sounds to me like you're just looking to have an argument on a Sunday afternoon or something. No where did I imply anything, it's in your head.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I haven't even been watching the Olympics this year because of all the hype and ridiculousness surrounding it.

It isn't even about the athletes anymore. it seems to have turned into just the opposite of what it was meant to be.

My son has a dream of going to the Olympics one day...he may even have a chance. However, the Olympics aren't what they used to be. I think he would be better off with some of the other, more 'real' and meaningful competitions.

Is there a resolutions? I have no idea, but something needs to change.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
no matter what form of government people choose....it wont work with mass corruption... i hope we all just go to war...we need a clean slate.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by FlySolo

Because they had to exterminate all the gays and stray dogs before the opening ceremony?

And of course because of gutter press reporters you believe this jhn.... or was that humour? (I truly respect and understand your post for the anti-homosexual situation in regards to PUTINS politics) NOT the average Russians point of view methinks however...

Maybe some people should not just listen to MSM news and try if possible to dig a little deeper?

Sorry, I am just sooooo just fed up with all the stereotyping that goes on here in ATS and the lack of respect and tolerance in regards to cultures other than those that posters seem to know and have lived in all of their live here on ATS, I would love to see those people live in another country and feel the sometimes "hatred" or "other" culture bashing that is spat out by people here sometimes.

I created a thread last week (a humourous rant) concerning Russia and the Sotchi games... you should have seen the hate that was expressed...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

There is one simple short answer why it is Always the most expensive.....

corruption.

Don't ask me to proof this please....?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

It's all humor...hahaha

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by Rodinus

It's all humor...hahaha

Then all is good... you never know sometimes here...

And my apologies if I sounded a bit stroppy but I had not had my morning coffee before I posted that comment.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Great cracked article about the behind the scenes craziness of the Olympics that came out in 2012:
5 Things They Don't Want You to Know About the Olympics

Of course a few of the things mentioned in this article have already been mentioned, but those claims are sourced in this article and you can read about more wrongs done by the Olympics to cities.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by FlySolo

I KNEW there was something missing from Sochi .... where are all the missiles and sharp shooters on the rooftops like they had in London?

The Army has begun installing surface-to-air missiles on the roof of a tower block ahead of the Olympics.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Then imagine a US Olympics ~ first they'd have to drive the homeless people out of town.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Rodinus

jhn7537
reply to post by Rodinus

It's all humor...hahaha

Then all is good... you never know sometimes here...

And my apologies if I sounded a bit stroppy but I had not had my morning coffee before I posted that comment.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Don't you worry about it. We are all strangers here, so it's not like you know me personally or my humor-style and it's hard to pick that up over the internet...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

ketsuko
This has been known about the Olympics for some time. They are usually nothing more than an expensive showcase. The venues will not make the money back afterwards. They're just grandstanding for the host country.

The 1984 Summer Olympics in LA California had a huge surplus. If I recall correctly corruption played a roll regarding the huge profit. The City/State wanted to keep it all and the Olympic committee wanted in on the action too.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You couldn't be more right Slayer...

Although this doesn't really talk about money, I came across this whilst having a little gander around internet which makes for some interesting and fun reading :

Here is a snippet and the full article is below :

1908: Dr. William Penny Brookes took over Olympic planning from de Coubertin and organized an outstanding event in London; its success ensured that the Olympics would continue. Also of note, it's only 24.85 miles from Marathon to Athens in Greece. But in 1908 the queen wanted her children who lived at Windsor Castle to see the start of the marathon, which would end in London. So the event was lengthened to 26.2 miies, and has been that length ever since. So if you're running a marathon, it's mile 25, you've pissed yourself and your toenails have fallen out, just know that it's an inbred monarch's fault that you're still running.

www.sbnation.com...

There is supposed to be a part II to the article but I cannot find it.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 10/2/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

join