It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Michio Kaku says it's now possible to record a thought and upload it into the brain

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Is not this what some law enforcement departments are doing now.
We have seen a lot of so-called "confessions" recanted here of late.
Maybe the one confessing realizes they don't have the memory of the event they confess to while under stress.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

As a writer, I find myself obliged to applaud your post. Well said, sir/ma'am, well said.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I understand your reasoning but when it comes to this respectable scientist, I would trust his claims when he says this technology is actually knocking on the door.

It's clearly not a child's game to record and upload memories, however it's feasible. And the that's what this discovery proves.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

St0rD
reply to post by Bedlam

I understand your reasoning but when it comes to this respectable scientist, I would trust his claims when he says this technology is actually knocking on the door.

He's a physicist and not a neurobiologist, but nonetheless, he's stating this in a book about future trends, which is not going to sell a lot of copies and make him money if he doesn't dramatize the more amazing parts.

eta: A fast search or two trying to find what study this was he's talking about was fruitless. So you're left with not knowing exactly what he was talking about, or if it was done in a proper fashion, or replicated. Hippocampal recording with rats is generally done to track them learning about simple mazes. In which case, what's being recorded in the rat's head seems to be something on the order of left right right right left gets you the cheese. If one were to somehow stimulate a naive rat's hippocampus electrically to learn left right right right left when presenting him with cheese, I could see how one might transfer a maze route. But it wouldn't be a "thought" nor even a real memory. More a conditioning of the rat's hippocampal space mapping.

Go buy Kaku's book - post the paper's title and authors. I'm sure not going to waste my money on it. It would be interesting to scrape off the popular gee whiz frosting and see what the study was really about. I notice in the clip you posed, there's a picture of the book with a lot of superimposed "buy this! It's super!" quotes over it. It's an ad. I dunno - I see this sort of thing and what comes to mind is QVC. Not Annalen der Physik.
edit on 8-2-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

I've always had a thing for Asians, so its no wonder I think this guy is pretty awesome. But he seems to be everywhere lately.
But he comes across as a normal Physicist, someone you might sit down and have a beer with.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

We are all just global variables in the end, all part of one big algorithm, call it Gaia, call it god, still it would be nice to get off this rock!
algorithm? There has been much writing/ talk on ATS about such a concept. There can be little doubt we all are "Variables" when you look at life in general as to how each one of us in essence are a pebble thrown into a very large pond. After all, our resonance , or that ring of waves we all produce does in time affect or interact with other resonances, if just given time. I like to equate it to the grandest Software Simulator of all time.

But this "Simulator" is absolutely free to follow its own code that it writes from its own collective experiences. We are not idol game pieces designed to follow a preordained path through a pre-written set of possibilities.

Yes, we have followed a false simulator that has been created within the larger one to control us into predictable and controllable outcomes. The false simulator uses "Institutions", not to free the mind, but to "Institute" into the mind preset trains of thought which the outcome can then be controlled, and certain trains of thought are not allowed to be followed. Your being stuck on this rock is a prime example. Logically thinking, we should already have a outpost on Mars.

Now comes the dilemma. Who, or what, has "Instituted" this false reality, and for what reason? Before you can leave this "Rock" you must fully understand the forces and powers that actually keep you here. Why does planet earth resemble a "Prison Planet"? If you want that answer you must look into the mind of the force or power that is responsible for our "Captivity". But how can one do this when there is not one single "Institution" that allows you to do this (with the exception of one
)?

As has been stated before about dire warnings about implanting memories. Who or what power or force will control such a undertaking, and for what reason. You might think you are trapped now, wait until only select memories are allowed to be uploaded into your new clone bodies. You, will never, ever, know, what you are missing. The collective memories of ancient libraries were burned, this new tech in effect, would allow a controlling power or force to do away with unpleasant facts and exposing knowledge in one little neat package. You might even loose your "Urge" to leave this planet. You might even start to think you live in the "Garden Of Paradise" and there is no other place worth living.

I have noticed that the elderly are allowed to degrade and die early deaths. We all know our bodies wont last much past 120 years. Why? What if we lived the same timelines as the biblical elders, 6, 7, 8 hundred years. Would we not resemble walking talking libraries, bastions of wisdom and collected knowledge? At the very least we would have a clue as to the true purpose of life, and, this prison planet. But wait, can you imagine if there were thousands of these elders, what would their collective data base hold? Thank you, internet

I can imagine that if you question someone who has undergone such a procedure they themselves would come out insisting everything is hunky dory, everything works and every memory is in tact. Every childhood memory is right where it should be. But what of the drive, the inspiration, the compassion, the empathy, the inquisitiveness, that spark of uniqueness? And since now you have virtual immortality, would you care about those who do not, or would you "Institute" a secret society to hide your secret god hood? Dare I say anymore.

I also see the parallels in the term Prison Planet, top down to bottom up. Yes, at the top we see our containment to this rock where all of us are contained, the prison. And, at the same time each of us, mentally, are contained in our very own tailored prison cell, complete with our creature comforts like Mylie Cyrus, Football, Soap Operas, Child Worship, hobbies, books and movies, Education. Anything you can imagine to keep us (docile and) controlled.

But even at that, there is one aspect, one part, one side to a human being that can never be controlled, and that is the human spirit. That which truly separates us from the animal kingdom. Does that essence transfer as well? Because if it does not, humanity as a whole, will loose everything that makes us, us, and to be replaced with a cheap, low cost, copy, of what we once were.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Indigent
The guy just saw total recall

We are nothing more than organic machines, some day we will be able to turn off the auto on most functions and control it at will

There's a very good reason we don't have the admin passwords to our own BIOS yet.

When I get impatient waiting for advancements like this, I remind myself of the havoc I would wreak on my own body if it didn't have the instinctual wisdom it provides me.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Just as I suspected you are the perfect kog in the machine that will one day take over mankind.You seem drunk on trans humanism and want to leave your body behind for the illusion of freedom by men bent on taking over th
e thought process .You are so buzzed up on the religion of science you are willing to give up all for this illusion. If you only were satisfied with the wonder that your body and mind and spirit already has you could recognize the ones that want to steal these from you.You go willingly to your destruction but you will not find me laying down without a fight, I just hope you don't convince others to follow you and allow men to tinker with your thoughts.yes I spelled kog wrong on purpose.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Text Purplereply to post by St0rD

While I wasn't around till 1964, I had bought book, comics & watched old rerun toons & movies of scientists already applying this to usually unwilling victims lol! I'm not 100% positive but I think there is even a early 1970's documentary on this. It has been in a lot of movies, television series, toons, comic books, story books, & posed theoretically in some University courses as as a real possible coming event but the Asian Dr. Michio Kaku says it's a definite future & then people pay attention? Pfft! lol! All types of media has suggested this years & years now.
I still believe all of the most well known writers of any fictional movies, etc, & even some lesser known ones' ARE given inside info on most of the topics we discuss here on ATS, Wikileaks, SodaHead, et al, to implement into the storylines of things people will actually watch, read or listen to...even music videos.
Thus, I believe the technologies have been around in the times of Da Vinci, etc, but elites or whomever have been the one's to tell the world's fiction as truth on some kind of release at times they feel the world is ready.

Excellent post St0rD S&F

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Recently, there has been talk about the existence of memories inside DNA

Total bull puckey, based on complete ignorance about the difference between epigenetics and genetics.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It been thought of before in the 80s!!
Blade Runner theatrical trailer

I don't get it, Tyrell. How can it not know what it is? On Rachael not knowing that she is a replicant. Memories, you're talking about memories.
[Revealing to Rachael that she is a replicant] You ever tell anyone that? Your mother, Tyrell? They're implants. Those aren't your memories, they're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's. OK, bad joke, I'm sorry... No, really, I made a bad joke. Go home, you're not a Replicant... (sigh) you wanna drink? I'll get you a drink.

"She's a Replicant, isn't she?" (Deckard) "I'm impressed. How many questions does it usually takes to spot one?" (Tyrell) "I don't get it, Tyrell." (Deckard) "How many questions?" (Tyrell) "Twenty, thirty, cross-referenced." (Deckard) "It took more than a hundred for Rachael, didn't it?" (Tyrell) "She doesn't know." (Deckard) "She is beginning to suspect I think." (Tyrell) "Suspect? How can it not know what it is?" (Deckard) "Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell. More human than human is our motto. Rachael is an experiment, nothing more. We began to recognise in them a strange obsession. After all they are emotionally inexperienced, with only a few years in which to store up the experiences which you and I take for granted. If we gived them a past, we'd create a cushion, a pillow for their emotions and consequently we can control them better." (Tyrell) "Memories. You're talking about memories." (Deckard)

coco.raceme.org...
en.wikiquote.org...

Brainstorm (1983 film)
en.wikipedia.org...

but when it come to this it may get strange!!

STRANGE DAYS - Trailer ( 1995 )

In Reality were are closer then some thought......

Scientists Turn Brain's Visual Memories into a Mind-Blowing Video
mashable.com...

28 January 2012
Memory chip to record memories

his week, stem cell scientist Professor Chris Mason, imagines a human memory chip: “This would give everyone the chance to have a complete collection of all their life’s memories, without any loss of detail or the distortions of time. I use the term chip loosely, as it might be made of silicon or be living cell based, but when connected to our brain it would provide instant additional memory, just like a computer memory stick.

www.bbc.com...

Scientists use brain imaging to reveal the movies in our mind

By Yasmin Anwar, Media Relations | September 22, 2011
newscenter.berkeley.edu...

WHAT!!!!???? False Memoeries Like Blade Runner for Replicants!

Scientists can implant false memories into mice
By Melissa Hogenboom Science reporter, BBC News
www.bbc.co.uk...

False memory planted in mouse's brain
The feat will help to reveal how more complex false memories, such as of sexual abuse or alien abduction, can arise in people

www.theguardian.com...

you may need to relook at those Scifi Video Trailer Again back in the 80s and 90s

Strange DAYS !!

Brain implants: Restoring memory with a microchip

By Madeleine Acey, for CNN
updated 6:26 PM EDT, Wed May 8, 2013 |
www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

taoistguy
reply to post by projectvxn

not gonna happen.
it's just a carrot on a stick so we give them the go-ahead to research how to mess with our heads more.
just like in the 60's and 70's they said computers and robots would free us all and give us a wonderful life of leisure.

haha.. like the promise of stem cell research being able to cure all diseases known to human-kind.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

soficrow
reply to post by St0rD

Total bull puckey, based on complete ignorance about the difference between epigenetics and genetics.

yeah, i agree.. people still presume that there are tangible memory units being passed down when they hear talk of memories inside DNA. even geneticists who coined the term epigenetics know that it already borders on mysticism and such... because it's a magical phenomenon how such tiny organic materials act the way they do.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

tomoe723

soficrow
reply to post by St0rD

yeah, i agree.. people still presume that there are tangible memory units being passed down when they hear talk of memories inside DNA. even geneticists who coined the term epigenetics know that it already borders on mysticism and such... because it's a magical phenomenon how such tiny organic materials act the way they do.
First thing that comes to my mind is that DNA memory can directly translate to "Instincts". There is nothing mystical about wildlife following a predetermined course of action given a specific type of stimulus. Its a inlaid memory. "How do they know to do that".

If instinct can be coded into the DNA, then why not other trains of thought? Why not, Savants, and Savant-ism?
edit on 20-2-2014 by All Seeing Eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

That's a good point. If thoughts could be inputted into the brain then we could gain qualities and traits like courage, confidence, increased intellect, humour, charm and charisma. Likewise it may be possible to remove unwanted traits like anxiety, depression, fearfullness, low self-esteem, etc.

I'm curious what impact this has on dreaming, I've always wanted to record my lucid dreams hopefully this is a step towards that.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Eonnn
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

That's a good point. If thoughts could be inputted into the brain then we could gain qualities and traits like courage, confidence, increased intellect, humour, charm and charisma. Likewise it may be possible to remove unwanted traits like anxiety, depression, fearfullness, low self-esteem, etc.

I'm curious what impact this has on dreaming, I've always wanted to record my lucid dreams hopefully this is a step towards that.
Thank you for the compliment.

Balance. Our existence, our lives, our loves and yes, our hates, our intellect, our ignorance, our curiosity and knowledge, and all the emotions in between, make us who, and what, we are. Human Beings.

I seriously doubt we were ever to be anything but what we are. That is the DNA code.

Some may suggest we were created from Divine God like stock and to this I would say most probable, but only in certain traits. We can think and we can love, but in our present form not in totality. If we could we would no longer be who we are, and that could be a sad thing in the long run. Yes there is strife, tension, anguish, depression, and all the other so called negative emotions. But if you were to remove these "challenges", you would remove the essence of our being. Without the negative emotions there would be no appreciation for the good ones. It would only become habit, and soon, life would not mean the same thing. In essence we would become very predictable and controllable with a heard mentality.

It reminds me of the movie "Brave New World". You take a pill and all your troubles just drift away, but in this case, they are just not included in the new clone you.

I have little doubt that this "Technology" is actually very very old and is already in use. It may have been the reason some of mankind were "Cast" from the garden of Edin. After a time those who made the jump and used this "Pill" would expunge those who did not because they would be viewed as inferior. Live by the "Pill", or leave...... Why, I have even seen that mindset employed here at ATS. "If you don't like it, leave".

Two mindsets, one of the perfect brave new world, where everything is viewed as perfect, polite, courteous, generous, and absolutely boring. And the other, a vibrant exciting challenged filled world. One occupied by Humans, and the other occupied by Human Beings. The difference is, you only have to trade your spirit, your soul, for long life.

Ahh, yes. Mankind has been fooled into believing the Human spirit does not exist. I would search long and hard to answer that question before you commit yourself to something that is quite irreversible. Again, we already have eternal life in the spirit, don't get greedy

edit on 22-2-2014 by All Seeing Eye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join