It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2.3 Million American Children + 1.5(mil) Workers HUNGRY and going HOMELESS (6 month UE Limit)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

It takes really sound mind too have the appraoch your talking about. Im not saying they can't do it. Most poor people come from poor people and have broken homes and personalities and just don't really know what their doing.

What we really need is a free education system not free healthcare.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

As i said I don't have the answers. I can say you missed my point. Most that are getting help are working and trying to make it. They would love to have hundred a week for food. They have nothing a week for food. Family of three gets 150 a month in food stamps for the month and that is going to cut again.

Their kids don't eat during the day unless they are in school. I am saying let's stop helping the rest of the world and put that money into helping our own people. Military spends 4 billion a month in Afghanistan. We spend billions in aid to other countries around the world. Now we can start talking about waste in spending. Millions in waste like Worm farming research and other silly things.

Put this money to work here at home. Raise the minimum wage. Like you are not going to pay quarter more for hamburger. If you want a hamburger you are going to buy it. We can do this.

The Bot

Raising the minimum wage is NOT the answer. I've lived through one once as a minimum wage worker, and I can tell that all it does is devalue everyone else's wages, decrease the number of available minimum wage jobs, and make everything around you more expensive so that if you are living at minimum wage you are quickly right back where you were before - not making it.

There are plenty of other ways to make things better with out hiking the minimum wage. And yes, cutting spending would help.

You do realize that $100/week in groceries is the SNAP challenge? They say the average person on food stamps gets roughly $1.50/meal to eat on. That's $100 for a family of three per week except we aren't on food stamps.

But hey, we're greedy and need to be taxed more and pay more for our hamburger (it is now $6/lb, btw).

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

The thing is that I proofread for apartment complex newsletters and some of our biggest clients are section 8 housing. You wouldn't believe some of the free educational programs they have in public housing. They do have access in a lot of places to nutrition education including healthy eating and cooking classes, financial planning classes, etc.; all of it's free. They just have to show up for the classes which are multi-session.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

jacobe001
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Taking away the monetary power of the masses reduces consumption and also forces people to pile up in housing in order to afford to live. It works in favor of resource management and sustainable development and population control.

So why is it poor nations have a higher birth rate than more developed ones?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

ChuckNasty

jacobe001

Taking away the monetary power of the masses reduces consumption and also forces people to pile up in housing in order to afford to live. It works in favor of resource management and sustainable development and population control.

Poorer Nations like Somalia that have no means of Governmental Control?
Or like China that have many poor making a dollar a day with a one child policy?

In a Free for all like Somalia, they will reproduce enough in the hopes that one of the children will support them.

Agenda 21 is all about control and you will not have that problem you speak if they have their way.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

jacobe001

ChuckNasty

jacobe001

Poorer Nations like Somalia that have no means of Governmental Control?
Or like China that have many poor making a dollar a day with a one child policy?

In a Free for all like Somalia, they will reproduce enough in the hopes that one of the children will support them.

Agenda 21 is all about control and you will not have that problem you speak if they have their way.

So....Agenda 21 is about increasing our population?

I don't understand.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

I suggest you try bosch.com and search for their international job list. Bosch has offices all over USA and Mexico (why not?)
They are always in need for CAD artists and IT people, even internships are something to consider because the opportunity's there are endless and they pay interns a bit. It's a German company, solid, used to work with them here in EU.

edit on 9-2-2014 by Exitt because: .

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Xtrozero

Go into the military and get a TS and you will have a job for life....

Until you're uncomfortable doing what you're asked to do and quit... then you'll never get another job ever. Not having a conscience is necessary for someone who chooses your path.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I am very aware of what is going on and am living it right now. I was receiving extended benefits after my regular benefits expired and was then cut off when everyone else was. What is strange is that the unemployment office stated that I had used up all of my benefits when there was still over $700.00 left showing on the balance. Like a wounded sheep I continued to file my claim hoping that a bill to continue these benefits would be passed so that I might be able to use what little balance that I had left. I received letter after letter continuing to claim that I had already used ALL of my benefits while right there on my statement it showed a balance of over $700.00. I eventually realized that there was to be no more benefits allowed. I continue to search for employment along with I don't know how many hundreds or thousands of other people who reside in this small SW WA county, and find that the competition for work is extremely brutal. Combine that with employers who just don't respond to resumes and applications filled out makes for actually landing a position somewhere very bleak.

With only my wifes income to maybe help with a few of the bills, not including rent, which she just plain does not have, we have been forced to apply for food stamps. Yes, now we have to go face to face with the government, on our knees, pleading for their help like good little sheep. It has been two weeks so far and we are still waiting to see what amount we might be allowed as long as we meet the requirements. I will be truly thankful to our generous government for helping us in our time of need, since I realize that it is nobody's fault but my own for getting laid off from my job over a year ago. I also wish to apologize to everyone for being such a burden on the system and realize that I truly do not deserve such luxuries. Another thing I have noticed lately when I reapplied at a certain placement agency that supposedly helps to find people employment, is that some agencies require you to have no more than a 6 month gap in employment. Now how does this work someone who is fresh out of school and has never worked yet?, or for someone who has been struggling to find work for the last year or longer? Guess they are just # outta luck! And as far as the media goes on reporting about this crisis, I am aware that there are far more important stories to cover, such as Justin Beiber or the winter olympics. I mean who wants to be bored with details of low life drug addicted bums like myself crying to the government for food stamps and unemployment security??? We should be ashamed of ourselves for stressing out this fragile economy and causing our debt to soar!!! Yes, people are aware of what is happening, but only if they are lucky enough to have an internet conection and discover it on sites like A.T.S.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by curiousme333

Theres millions of people out there just like you.

Before 2008 crash i used to be able to find any job doing whatever i wanted, the world was wide open.

Now i have to beg for mercy for someone to allow me into any position that i still cant get. Granted i didnt have a felony record then so it was massively easier. Even so, the opportunities were easier to find, now they are elusive and nowhere to be found.

My record is my fault im an idiot. I was a lot more of a cowboy in my younger twenties. I honestly had no idea how much of my life was going to be destroyed by partying to much.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
A 1968's wage of $1.60 is equal to $10.75 today. About 40% of the people working today earn 21k a year or less. Kind of hard to live on that and support a family. Own a house, car, retirement, schooling for your children, savings, retirement. No WAY. The government will tell you that we are headed in the right direction. They mean the opposite right direction for THEM. Give themselves wages, government shutdowns and after they open back up the first thing they do is donate 1.6 billion dollars of OUR money to Pakistan. Does that even sound like a government that wants to build it's economy? They are stealing what they can before everything goes down. We have already sunk. The only thing that keeps us above water is that other countries buy into our debt gimmick. They cut the ropes we SINK. I hope you guys know how to swim.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by onequestion

The thing is that I proofread for apartment complex newsletters and some of our biggest clients are section 8 housing. You wouldn't believe some of the free educational programs they have in public housing. They do have access in a lot of places to nutrition education including healthy eating and cooking classes, financial planning classes, etc.; all of it's free. They just have to show up for the classes which are multi-session.

Exactly...unfortunately you have to WANT to improve your situation. I was on a section 8 property for a couple/3 months as part of my job, and what I found was that most of the residents were not interested in improving their situation on their own. They were, however, interested in improving their lot by seeking more handouts, more govt programs and freebies. When I say "they" I mean a majority of those living there. There was a minority of individuals who were working hard to escape the place.

As heartless as this may sound, the only way most of those on the govt dole are going to do anything to improve their situation is to remove the freebies. As it is now, one generation is raising another generation to live exactly as they are....there is little in the way of honest and true incentives to make them pull theirselves out of the ghetto.

So...would it be heartless to stop the cycle of poverty by not catering to it? By introducing personal responsibility and providing negative incentives to remain ignorant and untrained? Would this better serve future generations by demanding that those on the govt dole do something to improve their education or training in order to qualify for temporary benefits?

Perhaps it is time that those on the govt dole be required to report to govt offices for 40 hours a week to perform simple tasks (work) based on their abilities in order to draw pay? I suspect there would be such an outcry should work be required in exchange for welfare that it would expose the true intent behind many of those drawing welfare.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

sean
A 1968's wage of $1.60 is equal to $10.75 today. About 40% of the people working today earn 21k a year or less. Kind of hard to live on that and support a family. Own a house, car, retirement, schooling for your children, savings, retirement. No WAY. The government will tell you that we are headed in the right direction. They mean the opposite right direction for THEM. Give themselves wages, government shutdowns and after they open back up the first thing they do is donate 1.6 billion dollars of OUR money to Pakistan. Does that even sound like a government that wants to build it's economy? They are stealing what they can before everything goes down. We have already sunk. The only thing that keeps us above water is that other countries buy into our debt gimmick. They cut the ropes we SINK. I hope you guys know how to swim.

I agree.

Our govt is no longer "of the people, by the people, for the people". We need a new govt...either by booting out ALL incumbents and send a message that we the people will not stand for this BS any longer or by revolution. Unfortunately a true revolution would result in mass chaos, economic collapse etc etc on a massive scale that would even dwarf what happened during the civil war. I doubt the average american could stomach that.

When you consider that our govt is bringing in roughly a trillion dollars a year in income how the F can they not balance the budget and take care of the things they need to take care of? Boggles my freaking mind everytime I think about it.

edit on 10-2-2014 by bbracken677 because: further elucidation (hallucinations?)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Unfortunately a true revolution would result in mass chaos, economic collapse etc etc on a massive scale that would even dwarf what happened during the civil war. I doubt the average american could stomach that.

An interesting hypothetical although the government is far to engrained into every day life to allow a revolution of any kind to take place.
It's hard to get people who have not been exposed to understand that the cycle of poverty almost always starts in the criminal justice system. Kids today, from blighted areas or not understand that short of murder until they reach 18 years old they will never see any serious jail time.
The theory that troubled kids just need some positive roll models and a stable home environment to break the cycle of committing offenses-that they know they will never be held accountable for-just doesn't show up in the statistics.

I understand the mentality 'just give him/her one more chance'. However these kids know that if they follow a few rules they are free to do anything they want until they are 18-by that time the criminal mentality has matured.

Street kids do not do

Never, ever get caught with a handgun, especially an automatic weapon.

Never physically injury anyone.

Show respect for the beat cops and patrol officers-just do what they say. Yes sir-no sir-I didn't do it sir.

Pronto-you can now break the law at will until you turn 18. And believe me they do.

As far as Police officers are concerned most kids know better than to challenge or disrespect them. The cops here have a long history of being somewhat trigger happy-however only someone who is extremely drunk or drugged would talk back to them-to the point that they get to choose between the stick or the dog-or both.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

I have no way to prove I am what I say I am. You can quiz me if youd like. I am certainly unforgiving when confronted with vanquished excuses bc my success is attributable to just the opposite. Yet the despondent prefer to whine, like a relinquishing junkie taking another hit. Schadenfreude.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think everyone forgot that these programes are temporary! You arent supposed to be on them for the rest of your life!

There are so many people who dont have jobs, because the gov feeds them. Why would they go get one?
Then the majority are having kids left and right to still be elegible!

Then they start crying, because they can afford their 500 dollar I pads anymore. They are starving, but yet they have nice cars, with a sound system, rims and a better phone than I have. I work for a living. I can barely afford the one I have.

They need to crack down more. Not take it away right off the bat. It needs to be more regulated.

I even heard a lady once say, "I have 5 kids that my job". I was like WTF?!!! So instead of getting a job, you got knocked up a bunch, so you can get more food stamps so you dont have to work. Yah, poor them, pffft.

I was on the other side of that counter, and not once did I ever tell myself "you know what? why work? you are being taken care of".

What I did say is "Are you guys hiring?" . They said yes, because I ASKED I went seeking for a job and found it.
Most of these lazy, drug addicts get 500 or more in FS, but yet an old person on a fixed income will get 20 bucks and be happy about it.

I tell you, this generation is worse than mine was. A leaste we tried. This looser a$$ generation is hooked on little wayne, and drugs. So yah, uh oh...now you have to get a job, BUMMER.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Tylerdurden1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

slunteri
reply to post by Infinitis

Why have I never had a problem finding work? Ever. Am I that much better than you?

6 months on unemployment is ridiculous. Cowboy up and do something with yourself other than whining.

So the further north you go the less drug activity there is, is that what you're saying?

I've been trying to find work for a couple years and have a unique problem. There was a person using my name (ID theft) for years without my knowledge or consent. This guy was not only committing crimes in my name, but also collecting social security benefits in my name as well. I found out when I lost one job and tried for the first year to gain employment. I saw my savings running out so tried to get foodstamps to subsidize that for longer. They told me I was making too much money. They told me I was collecting over a thousand dollars a month SSI/SSD in another state. After filing complaints to social security administration, who never even responded, and calling up different agencies in that state, who kept giving me different numbers, saying it wasn't their jurisdiction, I finally made a threat to the perpetrators well being. That is what caused them to FINALLY listen.

I got a lot taken care of mostly due to one person who I am grateful for, But still have to live with knowing this person did more in other states, and I've no idea what is still on my criminal record. He ended up on a slab though it doesn't help me at all. Our names, I have been told, can no longer be separated fully and so I will have to carry the burden of his ill doings for the rest of my life. I have been jobless for years because of this. I can get a short term gig here and there which barely makes bills, and am getting closer each day to being homeless. Guess I should either give up or find a place out in the wild living completely off grid. I don't like the idea of giving up, or even being homeless, so living off grid is looking better as time goes on.

Guess my main reason for replying here is anyone saying cowboy up, or man up, or anything of the sort has no idea what they are talking about. If you were in my shoes I can almost guarantee many would have given up by now. That is, either become recipients of a cot in a shelter, under a bridge bundled up in a blanket for warmth, or taken a lead pill. People generally have no clue as to my predicament, cause its not their business, and there's enough problems out there and I don't want to be another one of those seen as whining, when I should man up. Haven't quit yet, and don't see myself being out of the game yet, but seriously, people really have no right to go off on a tangent whining about how their feelbads are hurt cause of a bunch of heartless unemployed and homeless people reminding them the problem is real Or those that feel "better" than the rest can keep feeling that way.

Just remember: He who dies with the most toys, still dies, and it's true, you can't take it with you.
edit on 12-2-2014 by TheVagabond because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Infinitis

I love the conservative rationalization: "If they are on unemployment this long they should have found a job already"

This statement infuriates me.

They are assuming there are just oodles and oodles of good living wage jobs out there to be had. Not so. What we have are low to minimum wage service jobs, and you are competing with a large number of people out of work who are also looking for a job. The jobs that are available rarely pay enough to live on. Actually they KNOW this, but they are letting themselves off the hook by pretending not to. I cant wait until all of these talking head right wing A holes are thrown out into the frey and have to survive with the rest of us. Of course many of them wont be because they are paid corporate propaganda activists

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join