It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California cop handcuffs and detains firefighter helping crash victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

A California firefighter was recently placed in handcuffs and detained by highway police while helping crash victims, all for refusing to move a fire truck after being told it was parked inappropriately in the midst of an emergency.

The incident occurred Tuesday evening when local firefighters and members of the California Highway Patrol responded to a rollover accident in Chula Vista, CA. The city’s firefighters were first to arrive on the scene, where they parked their fire trucks in a way to block oncoming traffic and protect those at the crash site.

California cop handcuffs and detains firefighter helping crash victims

What is happening in the USA? The cops have gone mad!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Oops I did a search as well with the headline keywords. Please remove MODS

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Just a future FYI. 2 threads to the same story are permitted if one of them is in Breaking Alternative News. That is the one forum to form an exception to the duplicate rule, to my knowledge.

Interesting thread!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by flammadraco

Law Enforcement, not the Fire Department, are in charge of accident scenes (no matter how loudly Fire Departments complain about this). While they discuss fire fighters arriving first, they do not hold total scene command. If they were meant to hold scene command for MVA's then the statutes would dictate Fire Fighters, and not law enforcement, are required to complete an investigation and file a report.

With that being said....

As for the article I have no idea what CHiPs is thinking. The purpose of emergency vehicle placement is to notify traffic of an emergency situation and to place that equipment in a manner that protects the scene itself. The only thing I can think of is the possibility that the section of road this occurred on has limited sight distances / flawed design to the extent that the vehicle placement would cause more of a risk to the scene. The other possibility is one of the driver's was intoxicated / under the influence. Its also possible the Fire department vehicles were parked in a manner that obstructed the investigation (skid marks / debris / etc).

It could also be possible that the placement interfered with an ambulance coming to the scene or its placement prevented the ambulance from getting close to the patients.

The other possibility, and I have seen this before with our State Patrol, is they were more concerned about the highway / Road being open. For some reason they don't like it when there is a complete blockage of all lanes of travel.

Scene safety / patient care comes first.

Based on the article I am at a loss to understand the Officer's actions.
edit on 6-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Indigent
posted here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join