It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are only warning flags displayed, and not applause?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
OK, so the bar represents how many votes for WATS I have recieved right?
It just baffles me and I'm curious. If you hold a cursor over it, it gives you a number. I dont think I would have that many votes for WATS, and I know i have had more applause points than that. Is it a meaningful number at all?

As for applause/points:
1. Mods aren't here to read everything we post and give affirmation to us. They are members who give a little extra to make ATS a better place. If you make good contributions (especially facts/logic rather than opinion) to hot threads you will likely recieve applause for making ATS a better place, which is what Mods are about. If not, do not dispair; keep doing well and it will come.
2. Points and applause are not why we came here. Most of us are here to share and recieve knowledge and to enjoy discussion in the community. If you feel that you have made an applause worthy post then you are living the dream that brought you to ATS- the applause themselves are just gravy.
3. People should know themselves and their individual worth well enough that recognition and awards are only minor bonuses- not vital affirmation of self.

Good 'ol boys club?
Who cares? Let's just suppose that there really are members getting applauded right and left for spouting dribble which a certain mod just happens to agree with. What's that to me? ATS is not a contest is it? Even if I saw ATS as a contest- I would be certain of my superiority over someone who spouts ignorance, no matter how many applause that person recieved. No sense in complaining about petty stuff.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
OK, so the bar represents how many votes for WATS I have recieved right?
It just baffles me and I'm curious. If you hold a cursor over it, it gives you a number. I dont think I would have that many votes for WATS, and I know i have had more applause points than that. Is it a meaningful number at all?

If you hold your cursor over the bar it will show that members post count not WATS votes. Also the redder the bar the more staff applauds that person has received.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the clarification. So now i dont have to call it the little grey myster bar anymore.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I do think it would be nice to see what is being applauded. It wouldn't have to be in the user avatar thingy, just on the recent applause list that you click the members name to go to the post that received it, same as clicking a warn tag brings you to the post that warranted it. I would like to see the quality posts. I think it could help us all learn how to increase the quality of our posts in general, and thereby help improve the board quality.

Granted, there will always be whiners who think well, if so and so got applause for that, I deserve applause for this, but then you just go back to the, "it's a private board and these things are discretionary" so stop whining.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
I would like to add my 2 cents......Several days ago, I noticed a familiar name in the 'recent applauds' list, but all I could recall of that member's posts were nit picks at wording or grammar of others. I even went in search of his recent posts, curious to see what he had said that merited an 'atta boy'. I'm still at a loss as to why, even after reading a doz of his recents.....?

This is a prime example of why (in my opinion) it would be fruitless to link to applause even if it were technically possible. We'd start drama like why'd he/she get applause for THAT? It's not always obvious as in the case of a warn. Granted it is most of the time, but not always. Behind the scenes research, suggestions and contributions add up. People get applause, even though the most recent post may not explain why. Even just diffusing a situation or not taking the bait from a troll that DID get warned could result in applause for the infractured party. Hard to link applause to that person being insulted by another member. Know what I mean?

Another example: If a mod noticed someone that goes out of their way to welcome new members all the time, they may get an applause for it. If linked, it would just be to the most recent instance of a welcome post not out of the ordinary at all, and you'd all think the mod had gone batty for applauding that.

By and large it is for excellent research and posts, but it's much more subjective than warns. Those are by the book. So easy enough to display. Applauds, not so much.

But they are more personal.

[edit on 26-12-2004 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If it isn't Mr. Iblis. Hey, I liked your previous AV. This one doesn't suit your image.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Another example: If a mod noticed someone that goes out of their way to welcome new members all the time, they may get an applause for it. If linked, it would just be to the most recent instance of a welcome post not out of the ordinary at all, and you'd all think the mod had gone batty for applauding that.

All good points, RANT.
And in the example quoted above, can you imagine the herd of replies all newbies would get if folks thought they'd get applause for it

I think applause is a spontaneous reward given for many reasons, all of which help make ATS a quality place.

As much as I would love to know why folks get applauded, I like the system as is.
Ifyou're that curious, and know the apllauded person, why not just ask the recipient???

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Pisky:

For you:

[edit on 26-12-2004 by dgtempe]

<< 1   >>

join