It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC - All Visitors to Sochi Olympics Immediately Hacked

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Go to Sochi ... check into hotels that haven't got drinking water or shower curtains or even door knobs ... and as soon as you fire up your electronics (if you can get on them), you are hacked. All your information and records and credit card numbers and personal stuff ... hacked. Welcome to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

NBC: All Visitors to Sochi Olympics Immediately Hacked

As tourists and families of athletes arrive in Sochi, if they haven't been warned, and if they fire up their phones at baggage claim, it's probably too late to save the integrity of their electronics and everything inside them. Visitors to Russia can expect to be hacked. And as Richard Engel found out upon his arrival there, it's not a matter of if, but when," reports NBC's Brian Williams.

Engel says, "The State Department warns that travelers should have no expectation of privacy. Even in their hotel rooms. And as we found out, you are especially exposed as soon as you try and communicate with anything.

NBC Video - Hacked WIthin Minutes

Related ...

Sochi Squalor - Journalists Report Hotel Horror Stories
No light bulbs. No shower curtains. Unfinished rooms. No door knobs.
And strange yellow water that is too dangerous to even wash with.

NY Times - Sochi = soviet style dystopia

edit on 2/5/2014 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

LOL, Hey! I was going to post this topic,changed my mind.

But yea, and some of the buildings are fake.

What's that all about?

And don't flush the TP.
edit on 072828p://bWednesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I guess it's safe to say the 50 some billion they supposedly spent on this didn't go to accommodations. Hmm..

Sounds like Motel 6 standards (or lower) at what should be a world class venue. Not a happy face for Russia so far, I'd say.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes, it went in someones pocket.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It's funny that I'm going to relate THIS Pgh Penguins story to "FlyersFan" but here is my thought/feeling. A couple weeks ago I was watching a Pens game and and the local play by play guys spoke of ALL the Pens representing their various countries (Canada, US, Russia, Finland) and going to Sochi and I get the worst chill/feeling of doom when they showed Head Coach Blsymla (coach of US Team) and I got the overwhelming feeling, DONT GO!

Everytime now that I read one of these Sochi stories, I can't help but think of my odd reaction.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for all attending...I hope things go safely and smoothly.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Glinda because: Corrected typos

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
In Soviet Russia YOU make accomodations for the lack of it's accomodations.

This reminds me of the old western shows where all the buildings were facades. Russia seems to have made most everything the cameras could see (at the venue itself) as pristine as possible while ignoring the places that would not be appearing on televisions around the globe.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
It will be funny when someone has an emergency and walks up to a cop for help.... only to find out it's just a cardboard cutout of a cop. Might as well hold the olympics on the moon. Do I hear ski-jump record????
edit on 2424x6724America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago2 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
What else "They" can do?

I would do the same as a Top Head of the Security!

Russia is boiling, like in a Steam Boiler but under pressure.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hotels are private places

Now, what about standing around at the Boston Marathon.

Leave it to US military contractors to be standing around with credit card scanners (and possibly pressure cookers=)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

"The State Department warns that travelers should have no expectation of privacy. Even in their hotel rooms."

How is this different than the USA?

I'm worried about the athletes too. Really wish the NHL held their players and coaches back. Major difference between giving into terrorists and putting yourself in harms way. I think these Olympics fall under putting yourself into harms way.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

Maybe some went to the known mobster who is a friend of Putin and also "associate" of several members of the Olympic selection committee.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I guess it's safe to say the 50 some billion they supposedly spent on this didn't go to accommodations. Hmm..

Sounds like Motel 6 standards (or lower) at what should be a world class venue. Not a happy face for Russia so far, I'd say.

Thats is just the way of things in Russia. The military has the same problem with food, equipment, ammo ect. being sold and not going to troops, that is if the troops even existed as units have been found faking their numbers. Build a road in Russia and budget a million you will end up with something that is a complete mess and need fixed in a year because of the million only 100K ever made it to the road project. Russia makes the coruption in places like Italy look minor league.

China has a lot of the same problems but, they had a massive crack down during the Olympics so they would not be embarresed. For Russian this is just the way things are done so they will just not understand why the rest of the world is confused by it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Chamberf=6

Stormdancer777

Maybe some went to the known mobster who is a friend of Putin and also "associate" of several members of the Olympic selection committee.

That would be my guess.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
geez and people have the nerve to say the u.s is bad, be grateful for what ya have folks! even detroit would be better lol!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

It's not 'hackers' that are counting on this, it's the KGB.

This is ridiculous, there is no group of hackers, outside ones being paid by letter agencies to collect, monitor and hack the data of Olympic Athletes and their entourage.

THIS is just another excuse for them to pass net neutrality legislation and make it harder for us to communicate.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

tothetenthpower
It's not 'hackers' that are counting on this, it's the KGB.

I have no doubt that there is a lot of spying and hacking going on.
I"m sure everyone is taking advantage of the Olympic situation to further their spy activities.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Don't believe the hype. If it was so easy to get hacked, then they wouldn't have any trouble showing how they got hacked to prevent you from falling victim.

Yes, it is not difficult if you know what your doing. But also, you have nothing to fear unless you connect to open Wifi spots and if you do, you are looking into trouble. Not to mention they never mentioned how the phone got compromised, just that it did.

I call that whole segment BS. You have more to fear from the peeping toms that call themselves the NSA.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
As I said in another thread, this Olympics could hardly get any weirder. I hope not at least. I do think the Olympic committee bears at least some of the responsibility...for choosing Sochi at all.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Sochi Running out of Pillows

The Russians are running around collecting pillows from people.
Forcing them to give up their pillows.
They are claiming that the athletes showed up 'unexpectedly' and the pillows aren't ready.

Unexpectedly?? Really? Like Russia didn't know the Olympics were going to happen?

Washington Post - Journalist LIVE TWEETS about Hilarious and Gross Sochi Hotel Experiences

Check out some of the tweets .... rooms without floors but with a picture of PUTIN in it.

WOW. Just WOW.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Oh boy, a public relations disaster. Did they think putting reporters into these kind of conditions would be hidden and not broadcast to the world? The reporters and tv crews will have a field day (or, since this is the winter Olympics, an ice rink day) in filing both serious and funny stories about the mishaps. If I were the Russian in charge of press relations I'd 1) provide each journalist with a case of vodka and hope they drink themselves into forgetfulness, and 2) seek asylum at the nearest French embassy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join