It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gibson Guitars get's the last laugh, gives Feds the finger......board

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

your correct,in order to properly import the wood,it has to be cut,trimmed,and loaded by the selling country workers,if I recall.It seems they got some "pirate" wood,without the proper forms.Not that they endorse clear cutting or such,they just didn't have the proper papers....no scandal here.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

RangerDanger... you are correct...

...and the REST of the story was that they ALWAYS HAD the correct documentation to prove the provenance of the wood. This did NOT prevent the Feds from seizing their fretboard hardwood supplies, and shutting down much of Gibson's manufacturing and impacting the Gibson workers livelihood.

Jackbooted thugs working out some political harassment on their enemies.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Dammit, i just spent $1000 on my new guitar as well, would have been nice to grab this.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The real tragedy is the people wasting their money to buy these guitars that don't even play just because of the "We're sticking it to the government" attitude or simply because it's a "gibson". They could at least purchase things worthwhile with the way I see most of the populace complaining about not having any money to do anything. I personally don't see the reason to spend thousands of dollars on something that is tantamount to an expensive doorstop. And furthermore as a guitar player myself, I find that the best guitars I've ever owned or played were dime store rejects and second hand/pawnshop specials.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DexteramLucifer

There's a world of difference between a cheap and nasty guitar and a proper gibbo or fender.
I've got a really old strat and being a proper fender its way nicer to play than the thirty quid no name strat I've also got off eBay.
Not being snobby about it, but there is a difference. Not sure if it matters so much when you get above a grand, but up to that point, I know which feels better in my hands.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

I completely understand where you're coming from. But to me there is nothing better than picking up an old beat up axe and/or a guitar nobody wants because of its brand name and showing said peoples that money and a pedigree does not always make a guitar great. Hell I'm not ashamed to say it my best guitar ever was an old beat up ibanez rg model guitar. Sure it's a brand name, it's just that I detest seeing the little guys being put down by certain folks.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
For me this Affair was a Reason to avoid a Gibson Sg,
(as my new Guitar)
they done wrong and they don't followed the Rules
that should protect the last Forests of India but Gibson is to big
for such a "Mistake" (their Main Business Products is made by Wood
and they knew every single Rule)
they cut them self into their own Finger!

Shame on, Boycott Gibson!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DexteramLucifer

I get you mate. It's a nice feeling to bang out a tune on anything, particularly when the world is full of people who have all the gear but no idea.

Fact is, once you learn a bit of guitar, playing anything is ace and if you know how to set up the intonation etc even a cheapy can play great. I wouldn't trade in my strat for any other guitar though. Especially since I put a Wilkinson humbucker at the bridge

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join