It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism being accepted as “Today’s Religion” over all religions?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
"He who angers you, controls you."

FWIW:

I, a "believer" of God, and a claimed Christian, can have excellent discussions with most of the people participating in this thread.

I think that points to individual interaction being far more impactful than generalized ideologies. Perhaps, that is how we should attempt to approach each other.

Some do not want to be approached in such a fashion, and will foster division at any cost, so have to look out for that too.

There are important things going on, choose your time wisely.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

i was personally more focused on the question he left at the end of the thread if it should be recognized as a religion or not as you could tell by my input on the subject.

as for the topic of the thread, i can't say, atheism does seem to apply more to young people than any other religion. normally, young people have to be born into a religion, or introduced to it by their family...whereas atheism is a lot easier to get into and more widely accepted by a general public.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

i was personally more focused on the question he left at the end of the thread if it should be recognized as a religion or not as you could tell by my input on the subject.

That was only half of the question posed in the OP and in the thread title.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

well, maybe we can discuss it further if you feel the need to assert the issue?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Jarring

The other part was whether or not atheism was becoming THE religion. I don't think that's really a legitimate concern for us, though. I mean, like someone else said - theists and atheists and agnostics alike have been getting along pretty well on this thread, and all over the forum. Some don't, but that's because they don't want to. I don't think we need to worry about atheism wielding the very scepter it's been trying to destroy.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Jarring

The other part was whether or not atheism was becoming THE religion. I don't think that's really a legitimate concern for us, though. I mean, like someone else said - theists and atheists and agnostics alike have been getting along pretty well on this thread, and all over the forum. Some don't, but that's because they don't want to. I don't think we need to worry about atheism wielding the very scepter it's been trying to destroy.

you never know... it's a brave new world

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

If nothing else, science shares the helm with whatever powers are steering this world. I take consolation in that knowledge. Atheism's most critical ingredient is hard at work giving us solid ground to drive forward upon.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

well said

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I don't think we need to worry about atheism wielding the very scepter it's been trying to destroy.

You seem to feel that atheism is an organization that is devoted to a cause, as in, "it's been trying to destroy". What, exactly, is it, that your "non religion" has been trying to destroy?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

You're right, destroy was a bad word. The more apt descriptor would be discipline. Discipline of thought, investigation, examination, observation. Have you seen that nothing vs evidence meme floating around after the creationist debate? I cannot think of a better illustration of that which both science and atheism find...distasteful. To hold an opinion not because you have reason, but because you are that reason. Your bias becomes the scales, and your hopes the microscope, seeing exactly that which you expect to see because the universe holds no meaning for you otherwise. Deities do not represent the linchpin of my appreciation for this universe, which may account for something of my resistance to the theism market. As such, my first answer will never be to look at what I want it to be, or hope it is. That's discipline - or at the very least, it makes an excellent start.
edit on 8-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join