It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is your winter shaping up? Do you see climate change in your area?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Makuahine
It was a storm they're calling an "Inside Slider." It only happens rarely (last one was 10 years ago) with an artic cold front moving from central Canada, down through the US into Nevada and then west through California.

Well I didn't know the technical name for it until you told me, but I sure as heck noticed that it had happened!
In the high desert area of Southern CA it snowed (i hear 6 inches- double the precipitation that area normally gets for this whole month.) It doesn't usually snow in November there either.

Here in San Bernardino, I've never seen snow so low on the mountains. My job site in big bear took 2 feet of snow and was called off, which was sort of redundant since highway 330 which takes me there was taken out by a mudslide.
So no- I don't think the weather has been abnormal in the least. You all are a bunch of paranoid freaks.

By the way- IF Florida were to be flooded, trying to dyke it would be just BEGGING for a terrorist attack. Osama will say to his agents, "Nothing says wrath of God like having the sea consume an entire state. I want you to do that to the infidel immediately."

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I'm also from the Buffalo area (just south, in Lackawanna)....Hello Jeeze Louise!!

I wanted to tell you all that my roses are still blooming and they still have their leaves!!

We also had a very wet, cool summer.....I think we went over 80 only a couple of days.....I didn't get to swim at all this year!!

I'll take the mild fall weather though.....Sure beats the "Turkey Day" storm we had the day before Thanksgiving in 2001, and grid-locked every major road and highway for 24 hours, eh Louise??

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
We have had a very cool summer in Arkansas the weather seldom got over 100 if at all (I have seen 30 days at over 110 EVERY DAY)

It seems to be getting cold quicker too.

I think we might get more than our usual 1-2 inches snow and wearing a sweeter outside at Christmas. I think its going to be cold this year

E_T

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Did I sleep over one month?
Back to -16 C and it starts looking like christmas.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Amuk, I hope you are wrong about a colder winter because if you have colder winter down in Arkansas, we'll be having an even colder one in Western New York!! Brrrrrrr!!!

E_T,

Finland looks more like Western New York would at this time of the year!!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Hi there,
Im a 23yr old male and Ive live in deepest essex in the UK now for 19yrs. I have noticed over the past 6 yrs (as well as all my friends and family) that our summers have been getting warmer, and we no longer have a spring or winter such as we used to have when I was younger. This winter has been the warmest, driest and most temperate winter I have ever experienced in my life. Our daily temperatures are settling between 12-14degrees celcius!!!!!!! I have never before experienced sleepless nights as I am doing now in our country in the winter due to excessive heat, but at the moment it feels like early summer time. It has been maybe 6-8 years now since I have seen snow in our area which used to be commonplace in the early ninties and late eighties. As for spring.....we dont really have one anymore.......instead we have what I can only describe as a period of monsoon like precipitation in the form of rain when we used to have warm and temperate spring over 8 years ago. Our climate here in the UK has changed over the last 10 years, and it worries me that it still seems to be getting worse, this winter I think has just been a precursor to some major heatwaves and freaky weather next year (in part due to el ninio) as we have never before experienced a winter such as this in my lifetime.

[edit on 24-11-2004 by radiant_obsidian]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
well here at southern Finland we hitted a record snow cover for november, in ONE NIGHT
..there wasn�t snow before last saturday, at sunday there were 40 cm snow in some areas...talking about freak weather conditions..
-ap

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I was wondering what was happening to my snow back in 1989. I was living in Switzerland at the time.. and well skiing back to the village was quickly becoming a luxury. That was 15 years ago in 1989!!

And they are trying to tell us its not happening, just buy more oil kid

E_T

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by aape
well here at southern Finland we hitted a record snow cover for november, in ONE NIGHT
..there wasn�t snow before last saturday, at sunday there were 40 cm snow in some areas...talking about freak weather conditions..
-ap
You better keep shovel ready, there's always time to rise record bar still higher...
Sweden got little stormy weather with some blackouts and couple ship running aground.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hello Magicalworld! This weather does beat the Turkey Day Storm of 2001, but we are supposed to get snow tommorrow, although the brunt of it is supposed to miss us. 50 degrees and rain today-changing to snow and temps in the 30's by Turkey Day, at least that is more normal, my roses, which some are still blooming and my allysum may finally bite the dust. I think the Chicago area is supposed to get the worst of the storm, any one from the midwest getting hit?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I live in the Syracuse, NY area, and well, ya all quite complaining about the weather. I'm loving it! I hate snow, I really do. We've had one light dusting so far, that's it. Warmer than usual temperatures, a little wetter than normal. But,well, ummm.....has anyone else noticed that when the storms come, they really come!! The trees around here still look like crap from the ice storm we had a couple of years ago. Last year, it was like this a good part of the winter, but we came close to getting record snowfall, it just all dumped at once. It's nice to have such weather this late in the year, but well, when it hits, it's gonna hit hard, I'm afraid.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
I live in north central Georgia. The summer was very hot and dry with drought conditions. This fall seems very warm to me.
We've been getting a little rain lately. Temps are in the 50's and 60's.
Like marg, I have many flowers still blooming that are usually gone by now.
I've been picking red roses lately! The day lillies are still wanting to bloom too.
Some spring bulbs are wanting to come up now and it's too early.

Elaine you are so right, my roses are just blooming beautifuly, and by now on previous years I usually had them trim and ready for winter but I can not do it because they are just beautiful.

I have a large rose garden and a collegion of lilies that is an eye catching when they bloom. I love flowers and gardening, even my lantana is still blooming.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It's hard sometimes to decide if the results of one winter mean a trend that's outside of norms or not.

I would like to suggest something to folks; that you participate in the annual Christmas Bird Count. This is done by the Audubon society and gives a long-term assessment of wht's happening to the environment. The more data that the Cornell labs get, the better they can make a case for action:
www.birdsource.org...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
In Montreal, it's really really smooth temperature and no snow yet! Usually, it's really cold in November....

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

E_T

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Still only five centimetres of snow.
And northern wind continues, so looks like this cold polar air is pretty much blocking out fronts containing warmer/more humid air.

Today was only -8 C but with wind that would surely make effective temperature of -15 C to -20 C in open place.
But damn it's nice to go to 100 C sauna after being outside in cold northern wind.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Still no snow here, a couple days in the past week were quite chilly, but the temperature was up again yesterday and it was quite warm for this time of year.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It's cold here, as it should be this time of year.

We had a full day of snow one day, got to enjoy it for two, then it rained last night and melted away. Now it's windy and cold...

I don't think i'm seeing climate change. But it would be nice!

If I could grow palm trees in Michigan i'd be really happy.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Then again theres always been odd high, low fronts..mayybe this year alot low fronts coming from the southern states which is warm coming up to the north, i have no idea

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Winter arived here in Chicago, Wensday. This is the first time, in my time here in Chicago that we had a real Fall.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada and the weather is very odd for the most part.
It's been windy for almost over a week, and from day to day the temperature
changes from freezing cold winter coat weather to warm 'go for a jog and you'll be wearing a t-shirt' temperatures.
I live in Cape Breton, but in the capital of Nova Scotia, (Halifax) They've seen up to 40cm already and some people lost power for days. This usually never happens.
But oh well, i'm not complaining -More snow, Less school-

<< 1    3 >>

join