It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MCNaPTIS Bill to stop Google Fiber from expanding.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Didn't see info about this bill and not sure the time limit for breaking news, but please move if its in the incorrect forum.

This appears to be another example on how the incumbent Oligopoly uses our gov't as a form of security to ensure lack of competition.

www.webpronews.com...

the Kansas state legislature has introduced a new bill called the Municipal Communications Network and Private Telecommunications Investment Safeguard Act. In essence, the bill would prevent cities from rolling out their own networks or partnering with private enterprises to roll out networks in the name of safeguarding competition.

Good thing Google still appears to hold a big card besides $ that can make the telecom have to compete and even provide net neutrality.

www.valuewalk.com...

According to numerous press reports, Google has been acquiring fiber optic cabling in the US since at least 2005, has invested in large undersea fiber optic cabling projects, and has purchased enough networking equipment to have constructed one of the largest global Tier 1 internet backbones.

Looks like competition only occurs at the Oligopoly level.

Now lets get to more important things such as the bieber petition.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i have lived in small towns that had no high speed internet only very slow phone line internet because there was not enough money in the few people(56 people) in town to support cable internet.

i see this law as a way to stop small systems like private systems set up by people in a town.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

ANNED
i have lived in small towns that had no high speed internet only very slow phone line internet because there was not enough money in the few people(56 people) in town to support cable internet.

i see this law as a way to stop small systems like private systems set up by people in a town.

Of course, can't be having people with their own internet networks now can we? It's just not good if your hurting the big corpora-conglomerates. Why... (gasp), you could be forcing them to lose profits! Treasonous! Slanderous! Pass MORE LAWS!! PAY for more legislation! UGGH!!

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
consumerist.com...

Aren't you glad the telecom industry is protection you from them.

officials with the board maintain the bill was created with the protection of consumers in mind.

It looks like its in the tweak phase . Which means its likely to pass in multiple phases over time.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Heh..support competition. Right. So that's why my only options for internet are Brighthouse which charges through the nose for the speeds I need and Century Link which has speeds that are barely an upgrade from dialup are. Yeah, thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Thalestris

Thats right, competition.

They need to pass a bill that prohibits others from providing service in the same area in order to be competitive.

new topics

top topics

join