It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans came long after aliens, scientist suggests.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Earthlings may be extreme latecomers to a universe full of life, with alien microbes possibly teeming on exoplanets beginning
just 15 million years after the Big Bang, new research suggests.
But even exoplanets that orbit far beyond the habitable zone may have been able to support life in the distant past, warmed by the relic radiation left over from the Big Bang that created the universe 13.8 billion years ago, says Harvard astrophysicist Abraham Loeb.
www.space.com...
news.cnet.com...

This is a very interesting hypothesis. Who knows how many advanced civilizations have been born, evolved, and became extinct before we were even born?

Not to mention how many advanced civilizations are currently thriving amongst the cosmos. With the number of stars and galaxies in the known universe, the number of advanced, intelligent civilizations is unimaginable.

Hopefully, one day we'll get a chance to meet some of them. See how they live, what they drive, what kinds of animals evolved on their planets, what kinds of ships and planes they fly, what kinds of foods they eat.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

We will meet them. They are us.

Since the Universe is forever old, people have been there forever.

Although some have seen and even met them personally, I think we are going to have to "die" first to leave this place and go "out there".

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Hopefully, one day we'll get a chance to meet some of them. See how they live, what they drive, what kinds of animals evolved on their planets, what kinds of ships and planes they fly, what kinds of foods they eat.

It works both ways. If there is a way to escape our island and we find it, we may find species just emerging into intelligence.

Then what?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Phage
Then what?

Then we can observe them. Or, we could help them along their way. Even better, we could develop our own Prime Directive and leave them alone until they matured to a certain technological point.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Or, we could help them along their way.
Bad idea methinks.
Prime directive, good.
However, as we have been shown, it get complicated. I mean, what happens if the away team gets stranded and all the red shirts are toast?

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I believe earth has had many cycles, long buried, and everything is much older than believed. That earthlings populated the solar system and that infighting, negatives and the empire layed seige to the equality and higher frequency and toppled it all. Mars had oceans, and now they're working on laying seige to earth and destroying another garden......

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Maybe there all gone and were like that guy that shows up so late for the party everyone else has left.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

dragonridr
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Maybe there all gone and were like that guy that shows up so late for the party everyone else has left.

I hate when that happens.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Hey Bonez... When I begin to think of how far along we've come as a species in the last 1000 years and when I think of it in even shorter terms, like last 50-100 years, it amazes me how we've gone from the Wright brothers to Stealth Bombers, or whatever top secret plane we have now. Same with technologies like fiber optics, it really is amazing...

Now... I begin to think of other advanced species that may be located somewhere in the universe and think of them possibly being around for 15 million years before us here or maybe even longer... Can you begin to imagine the type of technology a civilization could develop/create after that many years... On Earth we've made tremendous technological strides in the last 100 years, now imagine our planet 10000 years from now or 1 million years from now, it's honestly hard to fathom the types of technologies or advances we'd be seeing... well, that's if we don't destroy our planet first... But man, all the possibilities, especially with these parts of the universe that could have "habitable zones/planets", possible life, and a million/billion year head start on us...

Thinking about this type of stuff interests the hell out of me.
edit on 1-2-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Or, we could help them along their way.
Bad idea methinks.
Prime directive, good.
However, as we have been shown, it get complicated. I mean, what happens if the away team gets stranded and all the red shirts are toast?

They make a movie and kill off one of the main characters for ratings?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I lean more towards this line of thinking as well Unity. The cycle theory that Earth goes through makes the most sense. We can observe this through watching history repeat itself constantly though lives and deaths.

I also definitely lean towards the notion that our dating methods are Fubar in terms of organic material and other artifacts.
We appear to be missing many lost connections that don't quite add up.

edit on 2/1/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Humans will come long before future aliens as well. Life is everywhere, we are just too small to have found it yet.

To say we're newcomers in an infinitely old universe is a bit of a misnomer isn't it?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I believe Earth is the source of all life in the universe. If there is life somewhere else out there, it started as a result of microbes that came from here, not the other way around.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The premise is not based on an infinitely old Universe.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

jhn7537
Thinking about this type of stuff interests the hell out of me.

And me, as well. It is very interesting and "curious" (as Spock would say) the amount of technology we've developed over the past 50-100 years with as long as we've been on this planet.

It would almost appear like we've had some indirect help.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

I don't think so, the universe is too vast for this tiny little speck of dust to be the source of all life. Each star has the potential to create life on a planet. All the ingredients are there when it ignites.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by _BoneZ_

It works both ways. If there is a way to escape our island and we find it, we may find species just emerging into intelligence.

Then what?

Let's just be honest. Cheap labor.

link   

_BoneZ_

Phage
Then what?

Then we can observe them. Or, we could help them along their way. Even better, we could develop our own Prime Directive and leave them alone until they matured to a certain technological point.

We would probably either annihilate them, or assimilate them.

link   
reply to post by Phage

I understand that, I was speaking from my own perspective.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

I can't tell if you're just joking or not, but.......... no. Unless today is opposite day, of course.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join