It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet flies over Mars rover Curiosity Sol 504

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I spotted this picture and examined it . But according to the alternative news source they think this could be a UFO. But looking at it , It more looks like a Comet flyby in the Martian sky?

You can clearly see the tale of the comet I think? But I don't know if there were comets passing mars at the date stamp this picture was taken.(Sol 504 (2014-01-05 23:26:37 UTC)

I don't know if anyone here knows if there were any comets passing Mars at that time?
But we can't rule out glitches either I think, but that surely isn't a flying rock!

Any idea's

edit on 0b08America/ChicagoSat, 01 Feb 2014 08:58:08 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 01 Feb 2014 08:58:08 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

It is a flying rock. That rock that disappeared. It ran away because it heard the U.S. is trying to corrupt Mars with reality television.

It does look like a comet though. Idk, there is a lot that goes unnoticed by NASA and amateurs. Even everybody together can't watch everything at once.
edit on 0142k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Can you imagine being there and seeing it in person as it streaks through the sky silently? I'd give my left arm to be put on that rock. I wouldn't come back either.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynk3

Well I do think they double check everything before placing it on the server. And maybe they let us sometimes speculate what this could be , because they aren't sure what they looking at I think?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

But according to the alternative news source they think this could be a UFO.

To be fair, it was a "UFO" untill it became a "Comet".

edit on 1-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Comet-like at least. Great find Observer1. If it's a comet, is this a daytime comet, or is it dawn/sunset on Mars and the cameras are set to operate in low light?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynk3

Flying Fossil. This IS ATS Mars after all.

OP, great find. I think they caught a meteor, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Either that or Fossil.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Regards your signature, I'd get a restraining order.

And yes, it is a UFO until identified, so this picture has a little something for everyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I did a quick check to see if there was any news about a flyby of a comet next to
mars and nothing but a youtube video claming it was a ufo.

There was some stuff about a close one in october but not anything now.
I think you found a new comet.
Well done

edit on 1/2/2014 by skuly because: adding stuff

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Good find, 0bserver1 ... certainly doesn't look like the usual glitches/dead pixels that appear in the same spot every time. A comet? Why not? I'm confident we'll soon get some input/confirmation from some of the 'stargazers' & astronomy experts on this forum!

P.S.: Here goes the source image from Sol 504 and here the link to the HazCam archive ...

edit on 1-2-2014 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by skuly

And if he or we can prove by timestamps that oberserver1 was the first to identify it as a new comet, maybe he'll get to name it (don't get your hopes up though, observer1, odds are great that someone else has labeled it a comet somewhere). And I don't know if new comets have to be reported directly to an observatory (observatory1) or they can be first found on youtube (and why not, in this new age of computer communication).

edit on 1-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
A blow up of the blow up…

If a comet, should the little "bright spot" be at the head of the direction of travel?

If a UFO, would it have a "tail"?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Very cool image.

If it was an image from earth, we'd be pretty much certain that it was a sunrise/sunset contrail. In a Martian context, it's just gotta be a comet. Shame there's so little information or sequence of images to guesstimate dimensions...

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Ah, good point. The little bright spot is "downward" from the end. If not a comet, what then? (insert either ominous or happy music here).

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Dude, that's definitely chemtrails... they are starting early.

Haha, just kidding. That's an awesome pic though. I

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

If not a comet, what then?

Dunno…

So far it is "unknown" and "up" in the sky.

Could possibly rule out an image artifact if it doesn't appear in the same place in any other pictures. Also can possibly rule out energetic particle striking the imager chip inside the camera.

A reflection?

Waiting with the rest of ATS for more informed minds.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The blow up looks a lot like a plane.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Mianeye

edit on 1-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

Exactly.

S&F, Observer.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I know but you know how it goes , either you choose the UFO and Aliens section or this one . If I said UFO then the answers would be how do you know? But now I choose to be Comet and they say UFO. You're right its a UFO , why because we don't know what this is . Only when the clearest evidence is shown we can point this to a direction I would say?

reply to post by Aleister

What do you think it is?

SLAYER69
reply to post by Lynk3

Flying Fossil. This IS ATS Mars after all.

OP, great find. I think they caught a meteor, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Either that or Fossil.

Maybe it's Phobos or Deimos..? it seems that Asteroids , and I'm considering those two more like asteroids when you look at them.. I say this because Asteroids like Ceres seem to release allot of water lately. Maybe that's what we see happening with those moons? although I would think they would let us know that?

reply to post by skuly

Thanks noticed..

reply to post by jeep3r

certainly doesn't look like the usual glitches/dead pixels

I'm glad we can rule that out..

Arken

Mianeye

Exactly.

S&F, Observer.

You know how the game goes right

edit on 0b32America/ChicagoSat, 01 Feb 2014 10:55:32 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 01 Feb 2014 10:55:32 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It could have a tail if the ufo was entering the atmosphere , as for a comet I don't know.. There are how many satellites around earth looking for these things they would of found it long time ago I would highly doubt the world super powers would be blindsided by a comet in our inner solar system. The elite would not allow themselves to be left vulnerable to such a devastation.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join